Boston Jane: An Adventure by Jennifer L.…

Boston Jane: An Adventure

by Jennifer L. Holm

English (12)  German (2)  All languages (14)
Jane Peck is a Pennsylvania girl in the 1850s who loves to run, spit, and throw wads of manure at unsuspecting carriages. When her father's apprentice, William, suggests she attend a finishing school to learn how to be a "proper young lady", she jumps at the chance and quickly learns all about embroidery, pouring drinks, how to dress, and be a hostess.
However, when William goes West and later invited Jane to join him as his wife, she arrives in the newly-formed Washington state to find that all her "proper lady" learning is pointless and impractical on the frontier.

This was a fun read. Author Jennifer Holm has a gift for bringing the wilds of the frontier alive through a main character who just doesn't fit in. A great one for young adults.
  ErinMa | Feb 22, 2019 |
In middle school I was so enamored with this book that I read the whole book from start to finish EVERY night for a week. It resonated with me, I loved the characters, the plot, the romance, the adventure. I am soo pleased that even reading this book as an adult holds up. It is soo good! At sixteen Jane leaves her father behind in Boston and sails to the wild frontier of California to meet and marry William, a former apprentice of her father. When she arrives to the bay her betrothed is nowhere to be found. And the settlement is only a trading post and a local Indian tribe. With no other options she puts all her etiquette skills to use, mending clothes for the men, trading with the Indians, and trying to figure out cooking. All the while there is a handsome and rugged sailor who has his eye on her if she'd only notice. Lots of action, hilarity, and character development. I can't recommend this enough! ( )
  ecataldi | Dec 8, 2017 |
The setting of this book begins 1855 in Philadelphia and Shoalwater Bay Washington Territory. Jane Peck is a 16 yea0-old girl who lives with her father who is a doctor. Jane is betrothed to a young man named William and she is to sail from Philadelphia the Shoalwater Bay to meet William. On the way she has a very unfortunate journey due to a bad storm in which she loses her maid, Mary. Because of the storm Jane arrives later than expected and William has already left the territory thinking she has gone back on her word. Jane then has to house with various strangers and meets many Indians of the area. Back in Philadelphia, Jane had learned etiquette, and in Shoalwater Bay there is no use for that. Jane eventually falls ill to smallpox, but survives.

Reaction: This book is written with excellent detail. Anyone could picture the events. Although she is from a different time, Jane is relatable.

Extension: A way to extend this in a class room would be to include studies of the Chinook tribe that Jane encounters and maybe compare the tribe to Jane's people from Boston in that time period. ( )
  jg193622 | Oct 30, 2017 |
I clung to the rails, inhaling great gulps of salty air, my stomach making an uneasy flip with each slap of a wave. It was mid-April. In Philadelphia the first colorful buds would be pushing up their heads, but here at sea, gray, gloomy skies marked the horizon.
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
I picked up this book to read for my nook from my local library, when I wanted something quick & fast to read. I didn't realize it's young adults (and considered middle school at that, which I don't normally read too much of) so the book was a lighter than I had planned, but overall was a great read.

Poor Jane - she falls in love with a man vastly unsuited for her, and from almost the very beginning of the book does everything she can to make him love her even more. Very true for its age, this drove me nuts throughout the book. Daughter of a doctor, I kept expecting her to take care of people, which never happened, which also drove me nuts.

All of that being said, however, I just loved Jane. You couldn't help but groan at her whenever she made (another) bad decision but you couldn't help routing for her all the same.

So you are probably wondering why I gave this book 4 stars, when I am not exactly raving about the book so far? Well, it's Miss Hepplewhite - the schoolteacher who teaches Jane how to be a proper young lady. So much of Miss Hepplewhite's teaching comes from a book actually written at the time, and it's fascinating to me some of the things she teaches. Though I knew women were raised to be docile and servants to men, it always amazes me to read that women actually acted that way! ( )
  anastaciaknits | Oct 29, 2016 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064408493, Paperback)

Imagine being seasick for five months, two weeks, and six days as you--a girl from Philadelphia--sail farther and farther away from everything and everyone you've ever known to the unknown wilds of the Great Pacific Northwest in 1854: "I felt certain that luck had nothing to do with anything aboard the Lady Luck, a poorly named vessel if ever there was one. I had just spent the morning of my sixteenth birthday puking into a bucket, and I had little hope that the day would improve." Meet Boston Jane, a new reluctant young lady heroine from Jennifer L. Holm, author of the Newbery Honor Book, Our Only May Amelia.

Impulsive Jane, ever on the path to leaving behind her rough-and-tumble tomboy childhood to become a proper young lady, agrees to meet her very genteel fiancé on the rugged west coast of America. Unfortunately, William is not there when she arrives. Suddenly, Boston Jane, as her new Chinook neighbors call her, must cast aside her "faultless young lady" demeanor and depend on her long-suppressed pioneer spirit to survive. Holm cleverly weaves in lessons from Jane's Philadelphia finishing school, Miss Hepplewhite's Young Ladies Academy, in dramatic and often-hilarious contrast to the trials and tribulations Jane faces at sea and in Oregon country. Readers will be charmed by teenage Jane's ironic tone and inner conflicts and will cheer her on as she sheds layer after layer of decorum. Granted, the budding romance between Jane and sailor Jehu, "hidden" beneath the surface love story of Jane and the more uppity William, is an at-least-twice-told tale; but young readers will get caught up in the excitement of it nonetheless. The intricate details of mid-19th century life on an untamed frontier--complete with carefully researched Chinook tribal history and real-life incidents of white settlers--are absolutely fascinating. A thrilling, entertaining read. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:33 -0400)

Schooled in the lessons of etiquette for young ladies of 1854, Miss Jane Peck of Philadelphia finds little use for manners during her long sea voyage to the Pacific Northwest and while living among the American traders and Chinook Indians of Washington Territory.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,833,392 books! | Top bar: Always visible