Marvin Redpost: Kidnaped at Birth? by Louis…

Marvin Redpost: Kidnaped at Birth?

by Louis Sachar

Other authors: Susan Hellard (Illustrator)

Series: Marvin Redpost (book 1)

This books talks about something that could happen in a classroom. Children who feel like they don't belong in their family will instantly connect to the book. Marvin believes he could be the prince of Shampoon. This book genre is realistic fiction and very easy to read. ( )
  tflores15 | Mar 6, 2016 |
Reread a decade after the first time. Still think it's 3 stars. I like how Sachar's kids, *and* their parents and other people, are real. They're drawn to appeal to diverse readers, but are still not simple iconographic cardboard. Still, this just doesn't stand out to me. Even as a kid I would be all 'oh the poor king, still can't find his own son.'

Unlike the first time, though, I won't stop here. I checked out a whole stack of Marvin Redpost from my library, because I love Sachar's work and he just doesn't write fast enough for me. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
In my opinion this is a great book. One reason I liked it was because of the illustrations. Since this book is meant for children who are just starting to read chapter books, the illustrations really help enhance the book and help the reader follow along better. For example when Marvin is watching the King of Shampoo on TV, there is an illustration showing that and also showing Marvin’s facial expression. Another reason I liked the book was because of the development of the main character Marvin. The book explained a lot about him like where he lives, what grade he’s in and his friends. The big idea of this book is that even if you don’t look like the rest of your family it doesn’t mean you don’t belong or aren’t in the family ( )
  david.endres | Sep 24, 2014 |
Cute and full of authentic third graders. ( )
  learn2laugh | Sep 14, 2014 |
Reason for Reading: Son read aloud to me as his reader. This was his very first proper chapter book with one b/w drawing per chapter.

At a reading level of 1.9, this was a very good choice for my son's first chapter book. He did very well with the reading and was not intimidated with the full pages of text or infrequent b/w drawings. I have never read a Marvin Redpost book before and thought it was a fun story of a boy who reads in the paper that a King is coming to town searching for his lost son who was kidnapped at birth. Marvin just happens to match all the physical descriptions and since he's the only redhead in his family he thinks he may just be the missing Prince of Shampoon, so he goes through the procedures to find out if he is indeed really a Prince. A funny story. Ds did very well reading it, though he still needs sufficient help that he could not read a book like this on his own. Ds says he did not like the book at all, but he may be just in one of his moods as he didn't complain while reading it and certainly seemed to be enjoying the story as he read. But anyway, he's said he does not want to read anymore Marvin Redpost books. I would, if I had someone else to read them too. LOL. Maybe one day I'll set out to read all Louis Sachar's books, I've hardly read anything by him. ( )
  ElizaJane | Aug 16, 2011 |

Louis Sacharprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hellard, SusanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0679819460, Paperback)

Illus. in black-and-white. Marvin Redpost has finally figured out why he doesn't look like anyone in his family. He's not really Marvin Redpost--he's Robert, the lost prince of Shampoon!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:31 -0400)

Red-haired Marvin is convinced that the reason he looks different from the rest of his family is that he is really the lost prince of Shampoon.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,837,919 books! | Top bar: Always visible