Lord of Chaos by Robert Jordan

Lord of Chaos

by Robert Jordan

Series: Wheel of Time (6)

Rand al'Thor, a farm boy defending humanity, attempts to unite the nations for a last battle with the Dark One. The plan involves a pact with the Aes Sedai, the female mystics of the One Power. On the slopes of Shayol Ghul, the Myrddraal swords are forged, and the sky is not the sky of this world. In Salidar the White Tower in exile prepares an embassy to Caemlyn, where Rand Al'Thor, the Dragon Reborn, holds the throne--and where an unexpected visitor may change the world. In Emond's Field, Perrin Golden-eyes, Lord of the Two Rivers, feels the pull of ta'veren to ta'veren and prepares to march. Morgase of Caemlyn finds a most unexpected, and quite unwelcome, ally. And south lies Illian, where Sammael holds sway. By the author of The Fires of Heaven.… (more)

rand catturato ( )
  SamanthaRaciti | Feb 25, 2020 |
I don't want to pursue this analogy too far, but the Wheel of Times series reminds me a bit of a network television version of _Games of Thrones_. Lots of fun, but weak at times when compared to the best of the genre.

The series can be addictive -- I really am curious about how this all works out. The world building is also impressive. Jordan clearly spent years just thinking about the details of the universe in which the characters reside. The first book feels like a rip-off of _Lord of the Rings_ to some; I didn't mind that, and the rest of the series is very creative in that regard.

If only the publisher had insisted that Jordan work with an editor other than his wife (true). The story takes way too long to unfold. There are 14 books in this series, I have read only 6, and apparently the series slows down from here until the last few volumes. As fans know, Jordan died with only 3/4 of the story complete, and his wife had to select a successor (who apparently did a fine job of finishing things).

Jordan's prose is wordy and at times repetitive. He also has some weird tics. Just as an example, he is constantly describing the clothing of female characters, and he is sure to let the reader know how much cleavage is displayed. At such times, it's clear that Jordan knew that most readers would be boys between the ages of 10 and 16.

On the other hand, if the cleavage references annoy you, you still have to concede that most chapters pass the Bechdel test, important female characters outnumber important male characters and, in this world, women are, as a rule, more powerful than men.

What has annoyed me most is that the plot sometimes relies upon misunderstanding that would have embarrassed the writers of _Three's Company_. I often want to smack the characters for being stupid.

In the end, I AM enjoying it. I am going to watch any movie coming out of the Marvel Comics movie mill, and I am glad that I finally got around to reading this series, even though I certainly could be spending my commute time listening to something more edifying. ( )
1 vote Robert_Musil | Dec 15, 2019 |
opnieuw een goed geschreven verhaal, maar op sommige punten langdradig en soms verwarrend. ( )
  EdwinKort | Oct 18, 2019 |
Made it through book 6 of Wheel of Time, and most of what I said about book 5 can apply here. There are a lot of "empty" chapters that could have been trimmed down and combined with other chapters to improve the pacing, to the point where the trimmed books 5 and 6 could be merged to make one book the same length as either one. The last third of the book is fantastic, when the intrigues and action really show what the characters can do.

The characters themselves continue to grow, if some are faster than others. Perrin makes his return after his absence in book 5, and Mat cements himself as the reluctant rogue with a heart of gold. Rand still makes the mistake of waiting until his opponents act first (part of what makes the early chapters slow), but his internal arguments with Lews Therin are entertaining.

The trio of Elayne, Egwene and Nynaeve continue to to bog things down as much as Rand sitting around waiting for something to happen. Things improve when they split up again, but Elayne takes the cake for being the most annoying. You'd think time spent as a novice/accepted of the Tower and prisoner of the Black Ajah would have made her less arrogant, but she refuses to believe even Nynaeve could be right while she is wrong. Nynaeve seems to want to grow, but keeps pulling her self back down by her own braid. I'm afraid for Egwene, now that she is the Amyrlin. Being so young and inexperienced and put in a high position is what made Nynaeve the way she is, and Nynaeve was only a village Wisdom. I'd hate to imagine what becoming head of the Aes Sedai would have done.

Faile is heading down the same path as the trio, causing unnecessary conflict for other protagonists because Perrin dared interact with other women. One he doesn't even want to talk to, the other his friend Min. Min remains a likable character, even if she is stupid in love with Rand. Siuan remains the only one associated with the White Tower with any sense since Moiraine died in book 5. This is helped having spent some time without the Power.

After the slow beginning and middle, the end again saves the book. Taim's last line "Kneel and swear to the Lord Dragon, or you will be knelt." really sums up the final chapter. The next two books look much shorter, hopefully that means Jordan listened to the readers and trimmed the fat. ( )
1 vote Cerelin | Oct 8, 2019 |
I am usually not handing out five star ratings for books, but this one deserves it. It had a great story, great characters, a wonderful world (I am a worldbuilding nut) and the audiobook adaption was superb.

It is also one of the few books that really managed to reach me emotionally, and although some of the twists were telegraphed for a long time (sometimes even in the chapter title), it still managed to surprise me once or twice. In retrospect, almost all of those twists made sense (there is one I am not entirely sure of, and I hope there will be more explanation in the next book).

So, screw 4.5/5 star ratings. I am hereby gathering all the remaining half stars I was unable to give the previous books of the series and exchange them for the fifth star on this book. It deserves it. ( )
  malexmave | Oct 3, 2019 |

Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Contains

The lions sing and the hills take flight.
The moon by day, and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

--chant from a children's game heart in Great Aravalon, the Fourth Age
The unstained tower breaks and bends knee to the forgotten sign.
The seas rage, and stormclouds gather unseen.
Beyond the horizon, hidden fires swell, and serpents nestle in the bosom.
What was exalted is cast down; what was cast down is raised up.
Order burns to clear his path.

--The Prophecies of the Dragon
translation by Jeorad Manyard
Governor of the Province of Andor for
the High King, Artur Paendrag Tanreall
For Betsy
Demandred stepped out onto the black slopes of Shayol Ghul, and the gateway, a hole in reality's fabric, winked out of existence.
This is the complete "Lord of Chaos" and should not be combined with part issues.

Mentre la ruota del tempo gira, i venti del destino spazzano le terre. Rand al ‘Thor lotta strenuamente per riunire le nazioni in vista dell’ultima battaglia, contro le forze del Tenebroso-, mentre altri oscuri poteri tentano di assumere il controllo delle sue azioni. Dalla Torre Bianca di Tar Valon, guidata dall’Amyrlin Elaida, è stato stabilito che Rand deve essere frenato immediatamente. La siccità e il calore estivo continuano a ritardare l’inizio della stagione invernale, cosí Nynaeve al’Meara e Elayne, l’erede di Andor, cominciano una disperata ricerca del leggendario ter’angreal, che potrebbe conferire loro la facoltà di ripristinare le normali condizioni climatiche.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,599,609 books! | Top bar: Always visible