Lord of Chaos (The Wheel of Time, Book 6) by…

Lord of Chaos (The Wheel of Time, Book 6) (edition 1995)

by Robert Jordan

Member:RFaber
Title:Lord of Chaos (The Wheel of Time, Book 6)
Authors:Robert Jordan
Info:Tor Fantasy (1995), Paperback

Lord of Chaos by Robert Jordan

What a great idea to shake up the series nearly halfway through: the Dark Lord commands his minions to "let the Lord of Chaos rule". The Forsaken and their minions are to sally forth and sow the seeds of chaos, for bountiful harvests of all the synonyms thereof: disorder, confusion, anarchy, pandemonium, turmoil, turbulence, disruption. The newest evildoing newcomer on the scene, Moridin, seems particularly enthusiastic about this, and it was in one of his POV scenes that I got a chill: he didn't care whether there was a cause and an effect in his actions. Unlike in most of the scenes featuring the Forsaken, there was no plotting and pulling of strings and setting up of chess pieces. Moridin had his plans and plots, but he was also acting in the moment, without a care as to whether a given action would further his aims or not. He didn't care what the result of his actions was, as long as the result involved chaos. That's a little terrifying. The careless, casual destruction that could have occurred under the directive "let the Lord of Chaos rule" could have swept civilization off the chessboard entirely.

But it didn't. A quick, abortive–because–Spoilers search on the phrase makes it seem as though the phrase will come back into play again shortly, but here, in the book whose title comes from the phrase, there just isn't that much random anarchy and disruption. It felt like a huge missed opportunity.

This is much of a muchness with the other middle books of the series, although rather more happens here than in others. To inappropriately quote an 80's sitcom theme song, "You take the good, you take the bad, you take 'em both and there you have – " The Wheel of Time. (Which applies to both the series and the, you know, actual Wheel of Time…) ( )
  Stewartry | Jan 16, 2017 |
It seemed a bit stunted in the beginning and drawn out towards the end but I found the sixth book of the wheel of time series kept the story progressing nicely. It's one of my New Years goals to finish this series this year. ( )
  SadieRuin | Jan 13, 2017 |
I can feel the gears beginning to grind to a halt. Lots of big ticket" things seem to be introduced, but go no where. Examples: the "super" Myrdrral-he appears to be more powerful than the Forsaken, but we really find out nothing about him. The Bowl of the Wind-appears to be the answer to all the weather problems, but it takes the WHOLE book for them to even start looking for it. Not nearly as enjoyable as the previous books." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
*spoilers*
I don't even know where to begin. I just love this series. It is worth the time it takes for me to get through it lol. So much happened in this book. I absolutely can't wait for the next one. Nynaeve is still awesome and I knew she would be the one to heal stilling. I didn't like the thought of Suiann never being able to channel again. I really hope she will regain her full power. Also it was such a relief to hear from Lan again. I was getting a little worried about him. So not happy with Egwene being Amyrlin. I dunno what it is but I just don't care for her character. She may be strong in the power but she is a bit too immature and full of herself. Thank God Sulin is back to being herself, that servant stuff was a bit much. I can't believe that Rand was captured!! The last few chapters were so intense. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
Rating the series as a whole, because I can't remember them individually without reading them again. Originally read the early ones in 2007, then the whole series in 2009.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |

Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Contains

The lions sing and the hills take flight.
The moon by day, and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

--chant from a children's game heart in Great Aravalon, the Fourth Age
The unstained tower breaks and bends knee to the forgotten sign.
The seas rage, and stormclouds gather unseen.
Beyond the horizon, hidden fires swell, and serpents nestle in the bosom.
What was exalted is cast down; what was cast down is raised up.
Order burns to clear his path.

--The Prophecies of the Dragon
translation by Jeorad Manyard
Governor of the Province of Andor for
the High King, Artur Paendrag Tanreall
For Betsy
Demandred stepped out onto the black slopes of Shayol Ghul, and the gateway, a hole in reality's fabric, winked out of existence.
This is the complete "Lord of Chaos" and should not be combined with part issues.

Mentre la ruota del tempo gira, i venti del destino spazzano le terre. Rand al ‘Thor lotta strenuamente per riunire le nazioni in vista dell’ultima battaglia, contro le forze del Tenebroso-, mentre altri oscuri poteri tentano di assumere il controllo delle sue azioni. Dalla Torre Bianca di Tar Valon, guidata dall’Amyrlin Elaida, è stato stabilito che Rand deve essere frenato immediatamente. La siccità e il calore estivo continuano a ritardare l’inizio della stagione invernale, cosí Nynaeve al’Meara e Elayne, l’erede di Andor, cominciano una disperata ricerca del leggendario ter’angreal, che potrebbe conferire loro la facoltà di ripristinare le normali condizioni climatiche.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812513754, Mass Market Paperback)

In this sequel to the phenomenal New York Times bestseller The Fires of Heaven, we plunge again into Robert Jordan's extraordinarily rich, totally unforgettable world:

On the slopes of Shayol Ghul, the Myrddraal swords are forged, and the sky is not the sky of this world;

In Salidar the White Tower in exile prepares an embassy to Caemlyn, where Rand Al'Thor, the Dragon Reborn, holds the throne--and where an unexpected visitor may change the world....

In Emond's Field, Perrin Goldeneyes, Lord of the Two Rivers, feels the pull of ta'veren to ta'veren and prepares to march....

Morgase of Caemlyn finds a most unexpected, and quite unwelcome, ally....And south lies Illian, where Sammael holds sway....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:50 -0400)

Struggling to unite his nations for the battle that would release the Dark One into their world, Rand al'Thor is unaware of the White Tower leader's plans to silence his efforts.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,770,967 books! | Top bar: Always visible