Lord of Chaos by Robert Jordan

Lord of Chaos (edition 1994)

by Robert Jordan

Member:romula
Title:Lord of Chaos
Authors:Robert Jordan
Info:Tor Books (1994), Edition: 1st Trade Ed, Hardcover, 720 pages
Collections:Your library, Fantasy
Tags:wot, fantasy

Lord of Chaos by Robert Jordan

Recently added byknersus, yerond, SteveWollett, Frostmantle, drhapgood, Cassandra_LB, private library, irasanborn

This book was MUCH slower than the others! I did actually resort to skim-reading because of the pages of descriptions of landscape, what people were wearing, and whole chapters devoted to a character reflecting on his situation or coming to some decision--not acting on it, just making the decision. Aside from three major events, nothing else was really changed in the storyline from the beginning of the book. Granted, those events were pretty important, but together they didn't take up 50 pages of an almost 700 page book, so you do the math! I have it on good authority that the series improves again, so I will persevere! ( )
  darcy36 | Jul 8, 2014 |
Rather than go on again about the emotional paralysis that governs every single character and causes 90% of the drama in this series, I'd like to mention something more positive. I am truly enjoying the cultures of WoT. While it's true that the Aiel warrior people have the most richly explored culture so far, there is a real sense that every single culture in Jordan's world is just as nuanced, just as riveting, and just as impenetrably odd.

On the surface, each of the peoples seem to have distinctive body types and facial features, not unlike the Arabs, Asians, Indians, Americans, and Europeans of our own world. In fact, some of the races seem to draw their inspiration from these Earth cultures. But Jordan goes much deeper than that, exploring their economies, their music, social graces, class systems, and many other aspects. And each time he touches on one such issue for one race, you realize that the same facets probably exist in all the other races, too.

In my mind, Lords of Chaos marks a turning point for the series. It's a small shift, and subtle, but it's important. In this instalment, we finally see the characters beginning to shift from the defensive to the offensive. Not a lot, and not in any grand, trumpeted way. But it has happened. Will this be the end of the secret-keeping and the inner hand-wringing? Probably not. But at least they aren't acting like punching bags any longer. Or at least, not much. ( )
  Jefficus | Apr 25, 2014 |
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

I could almost copy and paste my review for Fires of Heaven right here and it would be mostly suitable because Lord of Chaos is more of the same. This is another metropolitan-city-phonebook-sized novel with a potentially interesting story that is bogged down by its excruciatingly slow pace, regular insertions of backstory, constant descriptions of the garb of every major and minor character (garb which keeps getting smoothed, straightened, or otherwise adjusted), and too many mentions of expanses of bosoms, spankings, sitting on knees, sniffing, snorting, and braid yanking. (I swear, if I have to read "good stout Two-Rivers woolens" one more time...)

In Lord of Chaos some of the most interesting WOT characters are absent (e.g., Egeanin and Lan), some of the formerly interesting characters have become almost intolerable (e.g., Siuan and Aviendha), and some who should have grown up by now just won't (Nynaeve and Faile). At least we get to visit a new city -- Ebou Dar .... in which everyone looks and acts the same and all the women are looking for fights (with knives).

The only really entertaining parts of Lord of Chaos were Lews Therin's mumblings in Rand's head -- I thought this was clever and amusing:

"Where are all the dead?" Lews Therin whispered. "Why will they not be silent?"
Rand chuckled grimly. Surely that had to be a joke.

There is a climax at the end of the book that truly changes the course of the story (and I hope will serve to pick up the pace in the next novel), but it took entirely too long to get there and involved a sudden change in some of the characters' normal behavior. Rand's got a horde of Aiel maidens and wise ones around him everywhere he goes and then they suddenly decide to take a coffee break when a group of Aes Sedai come to visit? Huh? Well, I was puzzled, but at least there was finally some action, even if the events around it seemed contrived.

Robert Jordan is a smooth writer who's got an interesting story to tell (thus, three stars), but he dilutes its power by drawing it out. This book's plot should have been combined with the previous two books' plots and then 75% of the words should have been removed. (There was so much repetition that we probably wouldn't have missed anything!). Then, instead of three slow and repetitive novels, we'd have one great novel. Read more Robert Jordan book reviews at Fantasy literature. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Book 6 is about where the series started to drag for me. On this re-read the book didn't seem to drag quite as much, but perhaps because I had a sense of what was going to happen next. It has been many, many years since my first read, but I recalled enough. I did find myself skimming over large sections of text at times though.

Overall, while the plot moved slowly, some pretty important things happened in this one and it's an important step in the growth of Rand and the others. I did miss Perrin for most of the book as he only shows up in the end and I do wonder about the strange relationship he and Faile have. I can't recall what comes of that in future books. Looking forward to the next in the series as I'm getting close to the point where I stopped reading the first time around. ( )
  harpua | Dec 27, 2013 |
opnieuw een goed geschreven verhaal, maar op sommige punten langdradig en soms verwarrend. ( )
  EdwinK | Dec 6, 2013 |

Robert Jordanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

The Wheel of Time (Boxed Set #2) by Robert Jordan

Wheel of Time Series Books 1-10 by Robert Jordan (Wheel of Time, Volumes 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10) by Robert Jordan

The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan

Robert Jordan: Wheel of Time - 11 Book Set (Eye of the World, The Great Hunt, The Dragon Reborn, The Shadow Rising, The by Robert Jordan (indirect)

The Wheel of Time: Eye of the World, the Great Hunt, Dragon Reborn, Shadow Rising, Fires of Heaven, Lord of Chaos, Crown of Swords, and Path of Daggers by Robert Jordan (indirect)

Wheel of Time, Books 1-11 and prequel "New Spring" by Robert Jordan (indirect)

New Spring, Eye of the World, The Great Hunt, The Dragon Reborn, The Shadow Rising, The Fires of Heaven, Lord of Chaos, by Robert Jordan (indirect)

The Wheel of Time (The Eye of the World, The Great Hunt, The Dragon Reborn, The Shadow Rising, The Fires of Heaven, Lord by Robert Jordan (indirect)

The Eye of the World, the Great Hunt, the Dragon Reborn, the Shadow Rising, the Fires of Heaven, Lord of Chaos, a Crown of Swords, the Path of Daggers, Winter's Heart, Crossroads of Twilight (The Wheel of Time, 1-10) by Robert Jordan (indirect)

Robert Jordan, Wheel of Time , 11 Books Collection Set New (The Eye of the World, The Great Hunt, The Dragon Reborn, The Shadow Rising, The Fires of Heaven, Lord of Chaos, A Crown of Swords, The Path of Daggers, Winter's Heart, Crossroads of Twilight, Knife of Dreams) by Robert Jordan (indirect)

The Wheel of Time: Eye of the World, the Great Hunt, Dragon Reborn, Shadow Rising, Fires of Heaven, Lord of Chaos, Crown by Robert Jordan (indirect)

8 " Wheel of Time " PAPERBACKS (#1 the eye of the world #2 the great hunt #3 the dragon reborn #4 the shadow rising #5 the fires of heaver #6 lord of chaos #7 is missing #8 the path of daggers #9 winters heart) by Robert Jordan (indirect)

Complete Wheel of Time 12 Volume Hardbound Set Plus Companion Volume: The World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan (indirect)

Robert Jordan: Wheel of Time - 11 Book Set (Eye of the World, The Great Hunt, The Dragon Reborn, The Shadow Rising, The Fires of Heaven, Lord of Chaos, A Crown of Swords, The Path of Daggers, Winter's Heart, CrossRoads of Twilight, Knife of Dreams) by Robert Jordan (indirect)

Best of Robert Jordan: The Shadow Rising; The Fires of Heaven; Lord of Chaos; A Crown of Swords (The Wheel of Time Series) by Robert Jordan

5 Titles in Wheel of Time Series - 6 7 8 9 10 - Lord of Chaos - Crown of Swords - Path of Daggers - Winter's Heart - Cro by Robert Jordan

Contains

The lions sing and the hills take flight.
The moon by day, and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

--chant from a children's game heart in Great Aravalon, the Fourth Age
The unstained tower breaks and bends knee to the forgotten sign.
The seas rage, and stormclouds gather unseen.
Beyond the horizon, hidden fires swell, and serpents nestle in the bosom.
What was exalted is cast down; what was cast down is raised up.
Order burns to clear his path.

--The Prophecies of the Dragon
translation by Jeorad Manyard
Governor of the Province of Andor for
the High King, Artur Paendrag Tanreall
For Betsy
Demandred stepped out onto the black slopes of Shayol Ghul, and the gateway, a hole in reality's fabric, winked out of existence.
This is the complete "Lord of Chaos" and should not be combined with part issues.

Mentre la ruota del tempo gira, i venti del destino spazzano le terre. Rand al ‘Thor lotta strenuamente per riunire le nazioni in vista dell’ultima battaglia, contro le forze del Tenebroso-, mentre altri oscuri poteri tentano di assumere il controllo delle sue azioni. Dalla Torre Bianca di Tar Valon, guidata dall’Amyrlin Elaida, è stato stabilito che Rand deve essere frenato immediatamente. La siccità e il calore estivo continuano a ritardare l’inizio della stagione invernale, cosí Nynaeve al’Meara e Elayne, l’erede di Andor, cominciano una disperata ricerca del leggendario ter’angreal, che potrebbe conferire loro la facoltà di ripristinare le normali condizioni climatiche.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812513754, Mass Market Paperback)

In this sequel to the phenomenal New York Times bestseller The Fires of Heaven, we plunge again into Robert Jordan's extraordinarily rich, totally unforgettable world:

On the slopes of Shayol Ghul, the Myrddraal swords are forged, and the sky is not the sky of this world;

In Salidar the White Tower in exile prepares an embassy to Caemlyn, where Rand Al'Thor, the Dragon Reborn, holds the throne--and where an unexpected visitor may change the world....

In Emond's Field, Perrin Goldeneyes, Lord of the Two Rivers, feels the pull of ta'veren to ta'veren and prepares to march....

Morgase of Caemlyn finds a most unexpected, and quite unwelcome, ally....And south lies Illian, where Sammael holds sway....

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:28 -0400)

Struggling to unite his nations for the battle that would release the Dark One into their world, Rand al'Thor is unaware of the White Tower leader's plans to silence his efforts.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,658,676 books! | Top bar: Always visible