Lord of Chaos by Robert Jordan

Lord of Chaos (edition 1994)

by Robert Jordan

Collections:Your library, Fantasy
Tags:wot, fantasy

Lord of Chaos by Robert Jordan

*spoilers*
I don't even know where to begin. I just love this series. It is worth the time it takes for me to get through it lol. So much happened in this book. I absolutely can't wait for the next one. Nynaeve is still awesome and I knew she would be the one to heal stilling. I didn't like the thought of Suiann never being able to channel again. I really hope she will regain her full power. Also it was such a relief to hear from Lan again. I was getting a little worried about him. So not happy with Egwene being Amyrlin. I dunno what it is but I just don't care for her character. She may be strong in the power but she is a bit too immature and full of herself. Thank God Sulin is back to being herself, that servant stuff was a bit much. I can't believe that Rand was captured!! The last few chapters were so intense. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
Rating the series as a whole, because I can't remember them individually without reading them again. Originally read the early ones in 2007, then the whole series in 2009.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
How to handle problems in the Lord of Chaos world: Don't talk to anyone about anything important, lose your temper whenever you can, sit around and do nothing for a while, spend all of your time trying to convince everyone else that you are the boss rather than trying to solve actual problems, and blame others for your problems rather than face them head on.

Oh wait, some awesome things do happen. Nynaeve heals Suian, Leanne, and Logain (one of the more awesome things she does), Egwene becomes Amyrlin and finally moves past her stupid Hermione-to-the-twelfth-power stage, and Perrin comes back (though, aside from the few paragraphs in the prologue, we have to wait till page 800 to see him). I must admit, as crazy as the Saldean culture is, I enjoyed the "meet the in-laws" segment. ( )
  AngelClaw | Feb 2, 2016 |
I rarely start a book and don't finish, especially back when I was reading these books (maybe a bit more often these days). But 150 pages into this one, it was over. My Robert Jordan ship had sailed. Enough already. I couldn't keep spending 1000 pages at a clip on a series of books I was enjoying a little less every time. ( )
  BooksForDinner | Jan 27, 2016 |
Summary: Rand al'Thor, the Dragon Reborn, has declared himself to the world, secured his status as the Car'a'carn of the Aiel, killed several of the Forsaken, and is beginning to consolidate his hold on the lands west of the Dragonwall. He now holds Camelyn and Cairhien, although he doesn't really want to rule either, preferring to turn them over to Elayne Trakand, the daughter heir of Queen Morgause, whom he (and everyone else) assume is dead. He's also being approached by Aes Sedai emissaries - two sets of them, in fact, one from the White Tower, and one from Salidar, where the "rebel" Aes Sedai have set up their operations after Elaida's coup. Rand knows he can't trust either group - he can't trust any Aes Sedai now that Moiraine is gone - but he needs their power and support. In Salidar, Nynaeve and Elayne are still holding Moghidien, a captured Forsaken, captive, using her for information about abilities that have been lost since the Breaking. And Egwene has been summoned from her training with the Aiel back to Salidar, where the Aes Sedai have plans for her... but find her substantially less biddable then they expect.

Review: It had been a long time since I had last re-read this book - almost 10 years! - and unsurprisingly, I'd forgotten a lot of what happens in this book. What I remembered from this book was Rand captured by the Aes Sedai, held in a box, going crazy, with Lews Therin speaking to him in his head more and more, until the battle of Dumai's Wells. In the intervening ten years, that part of the book swelled in my recollection such that it made up at least half the book; I was kind of surprised, therefore, on the re-read to realize that Rand-in-a-Box only lasts for a few chapters at most.

Still, that leaves the vast, vast bulk of this book that I'd almost entirely forgotten, and that's because not a lot really happens for a lot of it. I mean, Egwene being crowned Amyrlin in Salidar is a big deal, and a major turning point for the rest of the story, but otherwise... (And as awesome as that part is, and as awesome as its ramifications wind up being later in the series, it's actually kind of sad, since it means that we don't get more of her POV chapters regarding life among the Aiel, which I always found to be some of the most interesting parts in the previous two books.) But our other main characters don't really make a lot of movement over the majority of the novel, either in the physical sense, or in the emotional sense. We do get what seems like a lot more POV chapters from various bad guys - either the Forsaken, or the Red Aes Sedai, or others - so we get more clues as to what their schemes are. Except: I've read this whole series before (twice, for most of it!) and I am still unclear as to what the Forsaken think they're up to in this book, and how any of it accomplishes the Dark One's ultimate goals. There are also a LOT of characters that get introduced here - mostly Aes Sedai in the various embassies to Rand, or in Salidar or in the tower - and I found it almost impossible to keep the names and affiliations and motivations straight as we're being introduced to new character #57 (or maybe not new, maybe she was mentioned in passing four books ago, but that kind of proves my point). Thank goodness for Encyclopedia-WoT!

But, even though in retrospect, much of the book was spent scheming rather than doing, I didn't get the impression of things being stagnant while I was listening to it. It held my interest pretty well, apart from some tuning out regarding all of the new characters being thrown around, only a handful of whom really turn out to be important later. I enjoyed listening to it (although I do wish Kate Reading and Michael Kramer had coordinated on their pronunciations a little better), enjoyed picking up on things that I'd missed before, and some of the things that have bothered me in other installments (particularly the weird formulaic and archaic gender relations) somehow weren't as noticeable here - maybe because the characters had more defined goals and less time to snipe at each other? And the action definitely picks up at the end, of course, in a big climactic battle that was impressive enough that it's the only thing I remembered a decade later. (There's also some set-up for future books - sending Elayne, Nynaeve, and Mat into Ebou Dar, for one - that isn't tense enough to be a cliff-hanger and so just feels out of place.) But overall, I quite enjoyed it, even the third time around. 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Recommendation: This is - I believe - the longest of the Wheel of Time books (okay, I checked - Wikipedia says The Shadow Rising has more words, but this has the most pages.) It's also a major turning point in the series in a number of ways. It's not my favorite, but it's definitely before the series starts to drag, so if you've enjoyed the series thus far, don't be overly daunted by Lord of Chaos's length. ( )
  fyrefly98 | Jan 26, 2016 |

Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

The Wheel of Time (Boxed Set #2) by Robert Jordan

Robert Jordan: Wheel of Time - 11 Book Set (Eye of the World, The Great Hunt, The Dragon Reborn, The Shadow Rising, The by Robert Jordan

Best of Robert Jordan: The Shadow Rising; The Fires of Heaven; Lord of Chaos; A Crown of Swords (The Wheel of Time Series) by Robert Jordan

Wheel of Time, Books 1-11 and prequel "New Spring" by Robert Jordan

New Spring, Eye of the World, The Great Hunt, The Dragon Reborn, The Shadow Rising, The Fires of Heaven, Lord of Chaos, by Robert Jordan

The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan

Contains

The lions sing and the hills take flight.
The moon by day, and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

--chant from a children's game heart in Great Aravalon, the Fourth Age
The unstained tower breaks and bends knee to the forgotten sign.
The seas rage, and stormclouds gather unseen.
Beyond the horizon, hidden fires swell, and serpents nestle in the bosom.
What was exalted is cast down; what was cast down is raised up.
Order burns to clear his path.

--The Prophecies of the Dragon
translation by Jeorad Manyard
Governor of the Province of Andor for
the High King, Artur Paendrag Tanreall
For Betsy
Demandred stepped out onto the black slopes of Shayol Ghul, and the gateway, a hole in reality's fabric, winked out of existence.
This is the complete "Lord of Chaos" and should not be combined with part issues.

Mentre la ruota del tempo gira, i venti del destino spazzano le terre. Rand al ‘Thor lotta strenuamente per riunire le nazioni in vista dell’ultima battaglia, contro le forze del Tenebroso-, mentre altri oscuri poteri tentano di assumere il controllo delle sue azioni. Dalla Torre Bianca di Tar Valon, guidata dall’Amyrlin Elaida, è stato stabilito che Rand deve essere frenato immediatamente. La siccità e il calore estivo continuano a ritardare l’inizio della stagione invernale, cosí Nynaeve al’Meara e Elayne, l’erede di Andor, cominciano una disperata ricerca del leggendario ter’angreal, che potrebbe conferire loro la facoltà di ripristinare le normali condizioni climatiche.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812513754, Mass Market Paperback)

In this sequel to the phenomenal New York Times bestseller The Fires of Heaven, we plunge again into Robert Jordan's extraordinarily rich, totally unforgettable world:

On the slopes of Shayol Ghul, the Myrddraal swords are forged, and the sky is not the sky of this world;

In Salidar the White Tower in exile prepares an embassy to Caemlyn, where Rand Al'Thor, the Dragon Reborn, holds the throne--and where an unexpected visitor may change the world....

In Emond's Field, Perrin Goldeneyes, Lord of the Two Rivers, feels the pull of ta'veren to ta'veren and prepares to march....

Morgase of Caemlyn finds a most unexpected, and quite unwelcome, ally....And south lies Illian, where Sammael holds sway....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:50 -0400)

Struggling to unite his nations for the battle that would release the Dark One into their world, Rand al'Thor is unaware of the White Tower leader's plans to silence his efforts.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,506,063 books! | Top bar: Always visible