Meditaciones metafísicas…

Meditaciones metafísicas (Spanish Edition) (original 1641; edition 1994)

by René Descartes

Member:OWSLibrary
Title:Meditaciones metafísicas (Spanish Edition)
Authors:René Descartes
Info:PANAMERICANA EDITORIAL (1994), Paperback, 88 pages

Meditations on First Philosophy by René Descartes (1641)

English (7)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  All languages (10)
An interesting thought experiment - until Descartes ends up "deducing" the existence of God, and pretending that it was inevitable. ( )
  Audacity88 | Feb 7, 2014 |
I think this is an important work to read if you're doing philosophy. I don't like Descartes' philosophy, personally, but his writing is relatively easy to read and he wrote some very important arguments that must be considered. For example, "I think therefore I am."

I loathe his ontological argument beyond all believing, but don't mind me. You should read this and make your own decisions.

Edit: Reread. Still don't like his philosophy, but it's easier to read when you read it all at once and sequentially. ( )
1 vote shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
« Les personnages d'O. Henry. sont portés par des passions simples, comme celle du tabac, de la confidence facile » ou, comme dans Le Profil magique, par celle de l'argent... On voit là une Américaine, aussi riche qu'avare, s'éprendre à la folie de la jeune dactylo qui officie dans le « Remingtorium » de son hôtel. Pour l'absurde raison que son profil grec lui rappelle... celui qui orne le dollar d'argent! « O. Henry, c'est La Fontaine égaré dans un western ou chatouillant du pied la fourmilière new-yorkaise. Ses contes sont des fables modernes... Soutenue par la bouffonnerie de l'inspiration, une moralité commune s'en dégage où il apparaît qu'O. Henry aura passé le meilleur de sa vie à illustrer Le rat des villes et le rai des champs. » (Antoine Blondin.)
  PierreYvesMERCIER | Feb 19, 2012 |
Descartes is of course famous for “Cogito Ergo Sum”, or “I think, therefore I am”, an argument which is laid out in these meditations … and OK, if one needs to spend the mental energy to prove one exists, fine. Hats off to the man for thinking deep thoughts and putting quill to parchment in 1641. But he then builds upon this to “prove” that God exists. I won’t recreate that argument here because it’s ridiculous, and a good example of how a philosopher can wrap himself up too much in a pseudo-intellectual argument to reach his desired conclusion, whatever it might be. Of course the Meditations have value and a solid place in the history of Western Philosophy, but I’d recommend turning to the philosophy of the East instead. I got very little out of these writings. ( )
  gbill | Dec 9, 2011 |
Translated from the Latin by Donald A. Cress.
  austinwood | Sep 19, 2009 |

René Descartesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cottingham, JohnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cress, Donald A.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Haldane, Elizabeth SandersonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lafleur, Laurence JulienTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soriano, MarcIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, Bernard Arthur OwenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have a very good reason for offering this book to you, and I am confident that you will have an equally good reason for giving it your protection once you understand the principle behind my undertaking; so much so, that my best way of commending it to you will be to tell you briefly of the goal which I shall be aiming at in the book.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0872201929, Paperback)

Many other matters respecting the attributes of God and my own nature or mind remain for consideration; but I shall possibly on another occasion resume the investigation of these. Now (after first noting what must be done or avoided, in order to arrive at a knowledge of the truth) my principal task is to endeavour to emerge from the state of doubt into which I have these last days fallen, and to see whether nothing certain can be known regarding material things.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:29 -0400)

"In Descartes's Meditations, one of the key texts of Western philosophy, the thinker rejects all his former beliefs in the quest for new certainties. Discovering his own existence as a thinking entity in the very exercise of doubt, he goes on to prove the existence of God, who guarantees his clear and distinct ideas as a means of access to the truth. He develops new conceptions of body and mind, capable of serving as foundations for the new science of nature. Subsequent philosophy has grappled with Descartes's legacy, questioning many of its conclusions and even his basic approach, but his arguments set the agenda for many of the greatest philosophical thinkers, and their fascination endures." "This new translation includes the Third and Fourth Objections and Replies in full, and a selection from the rest of these exchanges with Descartes's contemporaries that helped to expound his philosophy."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,128,223 books! | Top bar: Always visible