Meditaciones metafísicas…

Meditaciones metafísicas (Spanish Edition) (original 1641; edition 1994)

by René Descartes

Member:OWSLibrary
Title:Meditaciones metafísicas (Spanish Edition)
Authors:René Descartes
Info:PANAMERICANA EDITORIAL (1994), Paperback, 88 pages

Meditations on First Philosophy by René Descartes (1641)

English (11)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  English (14)
I don't doubt it is an important work in the development of 'The Great Conversation', but I rate a book according to how much I get out of it, and how much I enjoy it. It seems like a bit of a let down after reading Discourse on Method: but I suppose I should have taken the last 2 parts of that book (5 and 6) as a warning of what was to come. The first two meditations (again, of 6) to me are an echo of the Discourse; longer and less clear.

There are good lines here and there, but after proving his own existence he goes off the 'right path'as he calls it, with his argument for god: I couldn't think of a perfect being unless there was one already. Simon Blackburn (Think, 1999) provides an excuse for Descartes, suggeesting that the idea of cause and effect have changed considerably since then: apparently at that point in history, whatever causes, neccesarily passes something on, like a baton in a relay race, to the thing it causes. I half-heartedly continued into meditation 4 onwards, but I began to skip sections once I found "God" coming up every two or three lines. A key point in our history, but not so accessible today. Discourse is lovely though! ( )
  jculkin | Feb 1, 2016 |
Descartes' previous book of "discourses" was about half autobiography, one bit philosophy, and one bit explaining how the circulatory system works. for some reason. these "meditations" are essentially an expansion on his fourth discourse, the most concretely philosophical one, and consequently has all the same problems as that one did. chiefly, it still strikes me as rather suspicious that Descartes uses his belief - or perhaps excuse - that "god is not deceitful" as a means to assure himself of much truth that he theretofore expressed considerable doubt about. still, the much greater cohesion this work allowed me more enjoyment than his discourses, and there were a few interesting points scattered among all the ontological silliness, particularly in the first two meditations. ( )
  lisaeves | Nov 1, 2015 |
Read for an on-line philosophy course. I doubt I would have made it through the first few pages without the encouragement of the professor, and I preferred his summary of the book to the actual book. ( )
  Sharon.Flesher | Jul 14, 2015 |
Descartes' argument, unless I'm mistaken, goes something like this:

- I think, therefore I am, because a thinking thing is not nothing.
- A cause (that which created me) must contain at least as much "reality" as its effect (me).
- This cannot go on in infinite regress, therefore God exists.
- God created everything and is therefore perfect; a perfect God does not deceive.
- I'm strongly inclined to believe that the physical reality around me exists, and since God (who created me) is not a deceiver, it follows that physical reality exists.

Impressive for its time, but not really that exciting to read, and a couple of dubious assumptions. ( )
  backlund | Aug 25, 2014 |
An interesting thought experiment - until Descartes ends up "deducing" the existence of God, and pretending that it was inevitable. ( )
  Audacity88 | Feb 7, 2014 |

Haldane, Elizabeth SandersonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lafleur, Laurence JulienTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soriano, MarcIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, Bernard Arthur OwenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have a very good reason for offering this book to you, and I am confident that you will have an equally good reason for giving it your protection once you understand the principle behind my undertaking; so much so, that my best way of commending it to you will be to tell you briefly of the goal which I shall be aiming at in the book.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0872201929, Paperback)

Many other matters respecting the attributes of God and my own nature or mind remain for consideration; but I shall possibly on another occasion resume the investigation of these. Now (after first noting what must be done or avoided, in order to arrive at a knowledge of the truth) my principal task is to endeavour to emerge from the state of doubt into which I have these last days fallen, and to see whether nothing certain can be known regarding material things.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:07 -0400)

"In Descartes's Meditations, one of the key texts of Western philosophy, the thinker rejects all his former beliefs in the quest for new certainties. Discovering his own existence as a thinking entity in the very exercise of doubt, he goes on to prove the existence of God, who guarantees his clear and distinct ideas as a means of access to the truth. He develops new conceptions of body and mind, capable of serving as foundations for the new science of nature. Subsequent philosophy has grappled with Descartes's legacy, questioning many of its conclusions and even his basic approach, but his arguments set the agenda for many of the greatest philosophical thinkers, and their fascination endures." "This new translation includes the Third and Fourth Objections and Replies in full, and a selection from the rest of these exchanges with Descartes's contemporaries that helped to expound his philosophy."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,723,283 books! | Top bar: Always visible