Contamination (Star Trek: The Next…

Contamination (Star Trek: The Next Generation, No. 16) (edition 1991)

by John Vornholt (Author)

Member:alpacaherder
Title:Contamination (Star Trek: The Next Generation, No. 16)
Authors:John Vornholt (Author)
Info:Pocket Books (1991), Edition: Reissue, 273 pages

Contamination by John Vornholt

All I remember is that this is one of the ones I thought good enough to save and pass on to my kids, should they choose to read the series. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I think that this is only the second Star Trek The Next Generation novel that John Vornholt wrote, and only the 16th STTNG novels and that is very obvious when I read the book.

At the beginning of the series (early 90s, Contamination was published in '91). Most of the writers hadn't solidified how to write the futuristic tech yet and so most of the technospeak leans towards the most futuristic science of the time, like Electron Microscopes, semiconductor research and tanks, pumps, and piping.

I do have to say that all the clean room, contaminate stuff was interesting, though again, it was very rooted in the twentieth century, not the twenty third.

For the most part it was an okay mystery. I'm probably just too used to mysteries written by mystery authors who weave much more intricate plots. Still, even though it was a simply, straightforward mystery, I wasn't totally sure what the final answer was until it was revealed.

It was a solid Star Trek novel, but not Vornholt's best offering, he got better as he wrote more of them for sure. Oh, but, hey, it had Wesley Crusher in it, and in a prominent role too, and, that doesn't seem to happen a ton in the books, so that's a positive in my mind. ( )
  DanieXJ | Jul 13, 2013 |
For Nancy,
the captain of my heart
Fear.

"OPEN THE POD ..."

... the longer of the two men ordered.

His subordinate hesitated for a second, then initiated the sequence that opened the double-sealed hatch.

"No!" Wesley screamed helplessly. Strong hands pined his arms to his sides and stuffed him inside the air-tight container.In the cramped confines, the boy's head struck a solid mass of tubing, dazing him, while his assailants sealed the pod.

When Wesley came to his sense, both men were gone. the ensign screamed and pounded on the smooth concave walls, but not even a whimper could be heard outside the class-zero unit. With horror, he realized that they could have killed him easily by programming the pod for a vacuum. But they had let him live ....

... at least until the air ran out.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067170561X, Mass Market Paperback)

The U.S.S. Enterprise™. is stunned when famed scientist Lynn Costa is murdered in one of the ship's science labs. She and her husband Emil were known as science's greatest ongoing collaboration and, together had received the Federation's highest honors for their achievements in scientific research.

Determined to see the culprit brought to justice, Captain Picard assigns Lt. Worf and Counselor Deanna Troi to the case. their routine investigation of the ship's science lab soon reveals a dangerous web of deceit, betrayal, and madness. Now, Worf and Troi find themselves struggling against a ruthless assassin set on revenge -- for whom murder is only the beginning...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:23 -0400)

When celebrated scientist Lynn Costa is murdered aboard the "Enterprise," Lt. Worf and Counsellor Deanna Troi are assigned to investigate the crime and uncover dastardly deeds in the ship's laboratories.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,798,882 books! | Top bar: Always visible