De ontnuchtering / druk 1 by K. Chopin

De ontnuchtering / druk 1 (1899)

by K. Chopin, G. Lammers (Translator)

Member:morninggray
Title:De ontnuchtering / druk 1
Authors:K. Chopin
Other authors:G. Lammers (Translator)
Info:Muntinga, Uitgeverij, Hardcover
Tags:Taal: Nederlands, Auteur: US, Classic, General Fiction

The Awakening by Kate Chopin (1899)

The Yellow Wallpaper and Other Stories {Oxford World's Classics} by Charlotte Perkins Gilman (MGovers)
    MGovers: Both published in 1899, both deal with the freedom of the wife. Interesting to compare the situation, actions and reactions of the main characters.
    Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert (Yells, StarryNightElf)
    StarryNightElf: This is the American version of Madame Bovary - set in turn of the century Louisiana.
    A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf (roulette.russe)
    Main Street by Sinclair Lewis (Yells)
    A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: A woman realizes she has a responsibility to herself that comes before that to her husband, children and societal expectations.
    The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath (rosylibrarian)
    Anna Karenina [Norton Critical Edition, 1st ed.] by L.N. Tolstoy (gypsysmom)
    Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Strong female protagonist causes a stir in a male-dominated society by going after the things she wants.
    Ann Veronica by H. G. Wells (debbiereads)
    Rosshalde by Hermann Hesse (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Both books deal with protagonists (one a wife and one a husband) who find themselves unable to live up to the expectations of conventional married life.
    The Home and the World by Rabindranath Tagore (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Both deal with the position of women in relation to the wider world.
    Summer by Edith Wharton (collsers)
    My Ántonia by Willa Cather (chrisharpe)
    The Forsyte Saga by John Galsworthy (aliklein)
Read (55)
1890s (38)

English (128)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  All (131)
Well written romantic. feminist tragedy. Considered a classic. The main character needed a good therapist. :-) ( )
  bness2 | May 23, 2017 |
I read this as summer reading for my AP Lit class, and I was impressed. Kate Chopin's novel proved to be revolutionary in the feminist movement. She broke away from the world where women acted in the shadow of their husbands and fathers, and decided to live her own life for her own happiness. I hated that she left her children, something I can't imagine was easy, and her decision to commit suicide after her lover's severance was heartbreaking. All-in-all, the writing is wonderful, and it's a short but powerful work that I would recommend as one of the mandatory classics. ( )
  mlmarks98 | May 13, 2017 |
I know this is suppose to be a huge book for feminism, but I didn't like it. She just seems so unsatisfied in every situation. I don't know why she became a mother in the first place, and I think committing suicide because you want to have an affair with someone that won't adjust their morals is pretty selfish. I didn't study this book at all so I'm probably way off the mark about a lot of it, but this is how it felt for me while reading. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
This book couldn't have been more bland. While I appreciate feminist literature for what it is, Edna's "awakening" out of societal confines was severely tainted by her love affairs. ( )
  s.pando | Nov 4, 2016 |

Showalter, ElaineIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walker, Nancy A.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, Deborah L.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has as a student's study guide

A green and yellow parrot, which hung in a cage outside, kept repeating over and over:
"Allez vous-en! Allez vous-en! Sapristi! That's all right!"
The voice of the sea is seductive; never ceasing, whispering, clamoring, murmuring, inviting the soul to wander for a spell in abysses of solitude; to lose itself in mazes of inward contemplation. The voice of the sea speaks to the soul.
She missed him the days when some pretext served to take him away from her, just as one misses the sun on a cloudy day without having thought much about the sun when it was shining.
The years that are gone seem like dreams – if one might go on sleeping and dreaming – but to wake up and find – oh! Well! Perhaps it is better to wake up after all, even to suffer, rather than to remain a dupe to illusions all one’s life.

First published in 1899, this beautiful, brief novel so disturbed critics and the public that it was banished for decades afterward. Now widely read and admired, The Awakening has been hailed as an early vision of woman's emancipation. This sensuous book tells of a woman's abandonment of her family, her seduction, and her awakening to desires and passions that threaten to consume her. Originally entitled A Solitary Soul, this portrait of twenty-eight-year-old Edna Pontellier is a landmark in American fiction, rooted firmly in the Romantic tradition of Herman Melville and Emily Dickinson. Here a woman engaged in self-discovery turns away from convention and society and toward the primal, irresistibly attracted to nature and the senses. The Awakening, Kate Chopin's last novel, has been praised by Edmund Wilson as "beautifully written." And Willa Cather described its style as "exquisite," "sensitive," and "iridescent."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380002450, Mass Market Paperback)

"She grew daring and reckless. Overestimating her strength. She wanted to swim far out. Where no woman had swum before."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:19 -0400)

Edna Pontellier, a Victorian-era wife and mother, is awakened to the full force of her desire for love and freedom when she becomes enamored with Robert LeBrun, a young man she meets while on vacation.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100313, 1400109078

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,218,768 books! | Top bar: Always visible