De ontnuchtering / druk 1 by K. Chopin

De ontnuchtering / druk 1 (1899)

by K. Chopin, G. Lammers (Translator)

Member:morninggray
Title:De ontnuchtering / druk 1
Authors:K. Chopin
Other authors:G. Lammers (Translator)
Info:Muntinga, Uitgeverij, Hardcover
Tags:Taal: Nederlands, Auteur: US, Classic, General Fiction

The Awakening by Kate Chopin (1899)

The Yellow Wallpaper and Other Stories {Oxford World's Classics} by Charlotte Perkins Gilman (JustJoey4)
    JustJoey4: Both published in 1899, both deal with the freedom of the wife. Interesting to compare the situation, actions and reactions of the main characters.
    Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert (Yells, StarryNightElf)
    StarryNightElf: This is the American version of Madame Bovary - set in turn of the century Louisiana.
    A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf (roulette.russe)
    Main Street by Sinclair Lewis (Yells)
    A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: A woman realizes she has a responsibility to herself that comes before that to her husband, children and societal expectations.
    The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath (rosylibrarian)
    Anna Karenina [Norton Critical Edition, 1st ed.] by L.N. Tolstoy (gypsysmom)
    Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Strong female protagonist causes a stir in a male-dominated society by going after the things she wants.
    Ann Veronica by H. G. Wells (debbiereads)
    Rosshalde by Hermann Hesse (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Both books deal with protagonists (one a wife and one a husband) who find themselves unable to live up to the expectations of conventional married life.
    The Home and the World by Rabindranath Tagore (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Both deal with the position of women in relation to the wider world.
    Summer by Edith Wharton (collsers)
    My Ántonia by Willa Cather (chrisharpe)
    The Forsyte Saga by John Galsworthy (aliklein)
Read (55)
1890s (38)

English (126)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  English (129)
This book couldn't have been more bland. While I appreciate feminist literature for what it is, Edna's "awakening" out of societal confines was severely tainted by her love affairs. ( )
  s.pando | Nov 4, 2016 |
  s.pando | Nov 4, 2016 |
I loved this book when I first read it in college. I decided to reread it as my daughter was reading it for school and unfortunately it didn't move me this time. I found that the story moved very slowly. That I really didn't like the entitled characters. And the first time I read it I could identify with Edna. This time I really disliked Edna. Perhaps I could forgive her leaving a husband that she didn't like. But her disinterest in her children made me angry. And the ending really bothered me this time. ( )
  KamGeb | Oct 8, 2016 |
"At a very early period she had apprehended instinctively the dual life - that outward existence which conforms, the inward life which questions"
'The awakening' is a novel radiating the potential of introspection in order to catch the reader's attention into following the questioning of a woman - Edna Pontellier - beginning to challenge the notion of felinity as she is being squeezed between her duties of wife-mother status, and her own aspirations in life.
Through this fictional character, Kate Chopin unveils her own struggles during the late nineteenth century - also known as the Victorian period - described in the 'Norton Anthology of American Literature' as an era "motivating discussion and argument about the nature and role of woman called The Woman Question".
The novel can surely be heralded as one of the first instances of feminist literature. Edna eventually undergoes several awakenings. The one of the heart by discovering love and passion, but also the dawn of her conscience while slowly breaking away from conventions and assuming her artistic gifts.
"The voice of the sea speaks to the soul. The touch of the sea is sensuous, enfolding the body in its soft, close embrace"
If Edna Pontellier can remind us of Flaubert's Emma Bovary - French fictional figure similarly overstepping societal conventions - she also exudes the aura of a misunderstood and tormented poet. Indeed, Chopin's work breathes poetry as she uses a myriad of subtle metaphors. The different settings of the story are powerfully symbolic as well.
Finally, i would definitely encourage you to read this novel. The exploration of the inward mazes of Edna's unconscious attracts the reader's mind and the depth of emotions she undergoes is depicted with a captivating force. She rebels against the harsh taboos of her environment,
and it is contagious. ( )
  Walter-Lily | Sep 4, 2016 |
... oh my goodness me the reviews.

Some of them are so unkind, so cruel and so scathing. And for everyone criticising Chopin's writing and saying how they would write this book -- Go! Go write a book with feminist themes that you'd like to see in a book.

Edna, as a female protagonist, stands for so much more than a selfish woman who has had an affair. She is brave enough, and bold enough to completely abandon society and realise that she is so much more than a mother and a wife. She realises, during the course of the book, that she has a self that neither her husband or her children would ever see.

This book is full of metaphors and beautifully written. I loved how Chopin created atmosphere and texture and colour, and how she drew on her environment to enhance her writing. It was written in 1899, and was so ground-breaking for its time.

I don't like books about cheating, or with cheating tropes. I think it's lazy, and I don't find it interesting.

But I loved this book. This is an important book.

But more than anything, I love Edna. She is a beautiful, flawed women, and I saw part of myself in her. Furthermore, all these negative comments and reviews make me realise that this is why we need feminism. This is why I need feminism.

And I will love and defend Edna and her choices till the end of my days. Chopin, I tip my hat to you. I will give this book to my friends, and to anyone who asks.

(I feel like this review is a little bit harsh - we're all entitled to our different opinions but it makes me a bit sad that people are so unfair to a female protagonist.) ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |

Showalter, ElaineIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walker, Nancy A.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, Deborah L.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has as a student's study guide

A green and yellow parrot, which hung in a cage outside, kept repeating over and over:
"Allez vous-en! Allez vous-en! Sapristi! That's all right!"
The voice of the sea is seductive; never ceasing, whispering, clamoring, murmuring, inviting the soul to wander for a spell in abysses of solitude; to lose itself in mazes of inward contemplation. The voice of the sea speaks to the soul.
She missed him the days when some pretext served to take him away from her, just as one misses the sun on a cloudy day without having thought much about the sun when it was shining.
The years that are gone seem like dreams – if one might go on sleeping and dreaming – but to wake up and find – oh! Well! Perhaps it is better to wake up after all, even to suffer, rather than to remain a dupe to illusions all one’s life.

First published in 1899, this beautiful, brief novel so disturbed critics and the public that it was banished for decades afterward. Now widely read and admired, The Awakening has been hailed as an early vision of woman's emancipation. This sensuous book tells of a woman's abandonment of her family, her seduction, and her awakening to desires and passions that threaten to consume her. Originally entitled A Solitary Soul, this portrait of twenty-eight-year-old Edna Pontellier is a landmark in American fiction, rooted firmly in the Romantic tradition of Herman Melville and Emily Dickinson. Here a woman engaged in self-discovery turns away from convention and society and toward the primal, irresistibly attracted to nature and the senses. The Awakening, Kate Chopin's last novel, has been praised by Edmund Wilson as "beautifully written." And Willa Cather described its style as "exquisite," "sensitive," and "iridescent."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380002450, Mass Market Paperback)

"She grew daring and reckless. Overestimating her strength. She wanted to swim far out. Where no woman had swum before."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:19 -0400)

Edna Pontellier, a Victorian-era wife and mother, is awakened to the full force of her desire for love and freedom when she becomes enamored with Robert LeBrun, a young man she meets while on vacation.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100313, 1400109078

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,727,173 books! | Top bar: Always visible