The Awakening by Kate Chopin

The Awakening (original 1899; edition 2012)

by Kate Chopin

Member:MadameMarsh
Title:The Awakening
Authors:Kate Chopin
Info:SoHo Books (2012), Paperback, 120 pages

The Awakening by Kate Chopin (Author) (1899)

The Yellow Wallpaper and Other Stories (Oxford World's Classics) by Charlotte Perkins Gilman (JustJoey4)
    JustJoey4: Both published in 1899, both deal with the freedom of the wife. Interesting to compare the situation, actions and reactions of the main characters.
    Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert (bucketyell, StarryNightElf)
    StarryNightElf: This is the American version of Madame Bovary - set in turn of the century Louisiana.
    A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf (roulette.russe)
    A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: A woman realizes she has a responsibility to herself that comes before that to her husband, children and societal expectations.
    The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath (rosylibrarian)
    Main Street by Sinclair Lewis (bucketyell)
    The Home and the World by Rabindranath Tagore (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Both deal with the position of women in relation to the wider world.
    The Forsyte Saga by John Galsworthy (aliklein)
    Summer by Edith Wharton (collsers)
    My Antonia by Willa Cather (chrisharpe)

English (101)  Dutch (2)  All languages (103)
A well-written thought-provoking book, particularly given the fact that it was published first in 1899. It is very understandable why this book was later re-discovered as it still seems very fresh. The attitude of this woman seems to be ahead of her time, which adds to the intrigue of the book. Plus it was very evocative of New Orleans. I could almost smell that City and I could certainly almost see it in her descriptions. My main problem, actually my only problem, with this book was the ending. Not because it was a tragic ending, but rather because she exhibits a belated concern for her children which she immediately throws out the window by killing herself. It was her relationship with her children in conjunction with her other decisions and actions that somehow didn't ring true. But it was still a wonderful surprise. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 17, 2014 |
Awfully dry and a chore to get through. We read this in a Literature class as an example of writing from a woman's perspective... but there are better examples of the female perspective. Opinions of this book seem to be pretty divided in my experience. ( )
1 vote dwsampson | Oct 11, 2014 |
If only we might all be so irresponsible in the name of emancipation. ( )
1 vote CassandraT | Oct 10, 2014 |
First posted on bellesbeautifulbooks.blogspot.com

I didn't finish this book at about 70 pages. I just couldn't get into the writing, and story. The characters were very blah. I can't side with a woman who cheats on her husband, and I can't side with a husband who treats his wife as his property. I don't like reading about a cheater.

I can see why people love this book, but it just wasn't me. It is a feminist piece of literature, and I'm not a feminist. I did not like reading this for school. ( )
1 vote BelleBooks117 | Aug 3, 2014 |
When I first started reading this book, I thought I wouldn't like it. Indeed, I only picked it up because it is listed on the 1001 Books list that I am trying like mad to get through.

However, it became obvious to me early on that this woud be a great book. In the post-Confederate South, the roles of women, and especially society women are strict. There are things that women are expected to do--marry, entertain guests, have children, knit, sew, etc.

The Awaking is about a woman, Edna, who suddenly realizes--after falling in love with another man--that she is going to stop living her life for other people. As she gains her independence, she loses her closeness with her family, friends and husband.

It was a romance novel where the entire time I was just waiting for her to tell Robert (non husband) how much he meant to her...and waiting for the affair to begin.

Read for yourself to see how it turns out. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

Showalter, ElaineIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walker, Nancy A.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, Deborah L.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

The Awakening and Other Stories (Oxford World's Classics) {33 stories} by Kate Chopin

The Awakening and Selected Short Fiction {14 stories} by Kate Chopin

The Awakening and Selected Stories {13 stories} by Kate Chopin

Kate Chopin: Complete Novels and Stories: At Fault / Bayou Folk / A Night in Acadie / The Awakening / Uncollected Stories (Library of America) by Kate Chopin

The Awakening and Selected Short Stories {9 stories} by Kate Chopin

Three Classics By American Women: The Awakening; Ethan Frome; O Pioneers ( Bantam Classics) by Kate Chopin

Has as a student's study guide

A green and yellow parrot, which hung in a cage outside, kept repeating over and over:
"Allez vous-en! Allez vous-en! Sapristi! That's all right!"
The voice of the sea is seductive; never ceasing, whispering, clamoring, murmuring, inviting the soul to wander for a spell in abysses of solitude; to lose itself in mazes of inward contemplation. The voice of the sea speaks to the soul.
She missed him the days when some pretext served to take him away from her, just as one misses the sun on a cloudy day without having thought much about the sun when it was shining.
The years that are gone seem like dreams – if one might go on sleeping and dreaming – but to wake up and find – oh! Well! Perhaps it is better to wake up after all, even to suffer, rather than to remain a dupe to illusions all one’s life.

First published in 1899, this beautiful, brief novel so disturbed critics and the public that it was banished for decades afterward. Now widely read and admired, The Awakening has been hailed as an early vision of woman's emancipation. This sensuous book tells of a woman's abandonment of her family, her seduction, and her awakening to desires and passions that threaten to consume her. Originally entitled A Solitary Soul, this portrait of twenty-eight-year-old Edna Pontellier is a landmark in American fiction, rooted firmly in the Romantic tradition of Herman Melville and Emily Dickinson. Here a woman engaged in self-discovery turns away from convention and society and toward the primal, irresistibly attracted to nature and the senses. The Awakening, Kate Chopin's last novel, has been praised by Edmund Wilson as "beautifully written." And Willa Cather described its style as "exquisite," "sensitive," and "iridescent."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380002450, Mass Market Paperback)

"She grew daring and reckless. Overestimating her strength. She wanted to swim far out. Where no woman had swum before."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:54 -0400)

Edna Pontellier, a Victorian-era wife and mother, is awakened to the full force of her desire for love and freedom when she becomes enamored with Robert LeBrun, a young man she meets while on vacation.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,396,988 books! | Top bar: Always visible