The Awakening by Kate Chopin

The Awakening (original 1899; edition 2012)

by Kate Chopin

6,019113692 (3.63)399
Member:MadameMarsh
Title:The Awakening
Authors:Kate Chopin
Info:SoHo Books (2012), Paperback, 120 pages

The Awakening by Kate Chopin (Author) (1899)

Recently added byPrescottKris, nakiaspope, private library, Book_Minx, AntT, iman82, emepps, hurlockc, cece2idk
    The Yellow Wallpaper and Other Stories (Oxford World's Classics) by Charlotte Perkins Gilman (JustJoey4)
    JustJoey4: Both published in 1899, both deal with the freedom of the wife. Interesting to compare the situation, actions and reactions of the main characters.
    Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert (bucketyell, StarryNightElf)
    StarryNightElf: This is the American version of Madame Bovary - set in turn of the century Louisiana.
    A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf (roulette.russe)
    A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: A woman realizes she has a responsibility to herself that comes before that to her husband, children and societal expectations.
    The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath (rosylibrarian)
    Main Street by Sinclair Lewis (bucketyell)
    The Home and the World by Rabindranath Tagore (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Both deal with the position of women in relation to the wider world.
    The Forsyte Saga by John Galsworthy (aliklein)
    Summer by Edith Wharton (collsers)
    My Antonia by Willa Cather (chrisharpe)

English (104)  Dutch (2)  All languages (106)
Trapped in a loveless marriage Edna Pontellier finds herself waking up when she discovers her feelings for her friend Robert. Her married life does not fit her, even though her husband probably would have been considered a good catch at the time - he doesn't interfere with her past-time activities, sends her gifts, doesn't seem interested in other women, isn't abusive, which her father seems to have been with her mother.

She is going through the motions of being a wife and mother, caring for her children, occasionally with love, occasionally with indifference, and she is obedient with to her husband in the same manner:
She would, through habit, have yielded to his desire, not with any sense of submission or obedience to his compelling wishes, but unthinkingly, as we walk, move, sit, stand, go through the daily tFinishedmill of the life which has been portioned out to us.
However, she comes to realise that this is not enough for her.
的 would give up the unessential, I would give my money, I would give my life for my children, but I wouldnテつ稚 give myself. I canテつ稚 make it more clear, itテつ痴 only something which I am beginning to comprehend, which is revealing itself to me.テつ
テつ的 donテつ稚 know what you would call the essential, or what you mean by the unessential,テつ said Madame Ratignolle, cheerfully, テつ澱ut a woman who would give her life for her children could do no more than thatテつ遥our Bible tells you so. Iテつ知 sure I couldnテつ稚 do more than that.テつ
テつ徹h, yes you could!テつ laughed Edna.
Her husband does not take it well.
Mr. Pontellier had been a rather courteous husband so long as he met a certain tacit submissiveness in his wife. But her new and unexpected line of conduct completely bewildered him. It shocked him. Then her absolute disregard for her duties as a wife angered him.
With that being their relationship - her side absent-minded submission, his taking her for granted in her role rather than taking her seriously as a person, who could be surprised that she doesn't want to keep being married to him? They have no relationship, they are both in it merely out of convenience and tradition. I don't think that she is a good role-model, but so many people still force themselves to stick it out in unhappy marriages because they can't fathom any alternatives, and neither can Edna.

Edna has to give up her life for her children, because she can't give up herself. She won't be dragged into the "soul's slavery" for their sake, but also can't undo the change in her that has taken place. I feel for her, though I wouldn't have made her choice, and I can't understand the hatred that people are aiming at her. ( )
  Mothwing | Jan 4, 2015 |
Started as a good read but totally disappointed me at the end. Well, if modern day married women had a life as Edna's, they would be at least joyful. Speaking for myself and I guess for millions of other women today, I have kids, husband, home and job to take care of. No servants, no nannies, no expensive gifts from husband and of course, not a single moment of spare time to myself. Literally, running all day long. On the contrary, Edna has servants to the house, a cook in the kitchen, nanny to her kids, money, and a lot of spare time. The choices that she makes, mostly regarding to her kids, simply made me angry.
This is not feminism but resignation... ( )
  Martha8700 | Dec 22, 2014 |
A well-written thought-provoking book, particularly given the fact that it was published first in 1899. It is very understandable why this book was later re-discovered as it still seems very fresh. The attitude of this woman seems to be ahead of her time, which adds to the intrigue of the book. Plus it was very evocative of New Orleans. I could almost smell that City and I could certainly almost see it in her descriptions. My main problem, actually my only problem, with this book was the ending. Not because it was a tragic ending, but rather because she exhibits a belated concern for her children which she immediately throws out the window by killing herself. It was her relationship with her children in conjunction with her other decisions and actions that somehow didn't ring true. But it was still a wonderful surprise. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 17, 2014 |
Awfully dry and a chore to get through. We read this in a Literature class as an example of writing from a woman's perspective... but there are better examples of the female perspective. Opinions of this book seem to be pretty divided in my experience. ( )
1 vote dwsampson | Oct 11, 2014 |
If only we might all be so irresponsible in the name of emancipation. ( )
1 vote CassandraT | Oct 10, 2014 |

Showalter, ElaineIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walker, Nancy A.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, Deborah L.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

The Awakening and Other Stories (Oxford World's Classics) {33 stories} by Kate Chopin

The Awakening and Selected Short Fiction {14 stories} by Kate Chopin

The Awakening and Selected Stories {13 stories} by Kate Chopin

Kate Chopin: Complete Novels and Stories: At Fault / Bayou Folk / A Night in Acadie / The Awakening / Uncollected Stories (Library of America) by Kate Chopin

The Awakening and Selected Short Stories {9 stories} by Kate Chopin

Three Classics By American Women: The Awakening; Ethan Frome; O Pioneers ( Bantam Classics) by Kate Chopin

Has as a student's study guide

A green and yellow parrot, which hung in a cage outside, kept repeating over and over:
"Allez vous-en! Allez vous-en! Sapristi! That's all right!"
The voice of the sea is seductive; never ceasing, whispering, clamoring, murmuring, inviting the soul to wander for a spell in abysses of solitude; to lose itself in mazes of inward contemplation. The voice of the sea speaks to the soul.
She missed him the days when some pretext served to take him away from her, just as one misses the sun on a cloudy day without having thought much about the sun when it was shining.
The years that are gone seem like dreams 窶 if one might go on sleeping and dreaming 窶 but to wake up and find 窶 oh! Well! Perhaps it is better to wake up after all, even to suffer, rather than to remain a dupe to illusions all one窶冱 life.

First published in 1899, this beautiful, brief novel so disturbed critics and the public that it was banished for decades afterward. Now widely read and admired, The Awakening has been hailed as an early vision of woman's emancipation. This sensuous book tells of a woman's abandonment of her family, her seduction, and her awakening to desires and passions that threaten to consume her. Originally entitled A Solitary Soul, this portrait of twenty-eight-year-old Edna Pontellier is a landmark in American fiction, rooted firmly in the Romantic tradition of Herman Melville and Emily Dickinson. Here a woman engaged in self-discovery turns away from convention and society and toward the primal,ツirresistiblyツattracted to nature and the senses. The Awakening, Kate Chopin's last novel, has been praised by Edmund Wilson as "beautifully written." And Willa Cather described its style as "exquisite," "sensitive," and "iridescent."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380002450, Mass Market Paperback)

"She grew daring and reckless. Overestimating her strength. She wanted to swim far out. Where no woman had swum before."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:54 -0400)

Edna Pontellier, a Victorian-era wife and mother, is awakened to the full force of her desire for love and freedom when she becomes enamored with Robert LeBrun, a young man she meets while on vacation.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,076,372 books! | Top bar: Always visible