From Head to Toe by Eric Carle

From Head to Toe (1997)

by Eric Carle

2,441982,530 (4.05)8

English (96)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All (98)
This is a fiction book about animals that do different movements and then ask if the child can do it. This is a great book to teach about what animals do and it is a good book to get the children to become interactive with the book. It could also be used to teach repetition. ( )
  MankinSamara | Apr 13, 2017 |
This book is a pop up book. Ideal for very young children who are still learning to associate pictures with words.
  zaspelaa | Apr 12, 2017 |
This book shows a colorful depiction of different animals moving and shaking their body while different kids exclaim that they can do it too. Something I noticed while reading this book was that on each page their was a different child draw copying each animal. These children seemed to be a diverse looking group of both boys and girls. This makes it much easier for a diverse group of students within a classroom to become interested and relate to what is happening within the story. I personally loved the art work done by Eric Carle to go along with the story. I found each page to be vivid and imaginative so I can only imagine how a child would see it. One page I found particularly interesting was his drawing of the elephant. He was able to take an animal most people see as large and gray and turn it into a playful animal filled with pinks, blues and whites. This would be great book to read to a classroom of young students in order to introduce popular animals and even facts to teach them within the classroom. This would also be a fun book to read to student while moving and shaking around the room. ( )
  cejones4 | Mar 6, 2017 |
Teaches kids about all the different body parts humans and animals have. I would use this for younger elementary to teach them about their body parts and have them go along pointing at theirs. I really like this book because the art and what it teaches. ( )
  bkelley22 | Feb 23, 2017 |
a children's book comparing things animals can do to things people can do for instance waving ( )
  frannymack13 | Feb 22, 2017 |
This is a great resource when teaching a lesson about the human body and movement. Great way to engage students.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Dedicated to:

Miss Frickey, my first grade teacher in Syracuse, New York, who discovered and nurtured my drawing pictures.
Herr Krauss, my art teacher in Gymnasium, high school, in Stuttgart, Germany, who introduced me to modern art when it was forbidden to be shown.
Professor Schneidler, who inspired me when I studied graphic design under him at the Akademie der Bildenden Künste, Stuttgart.
I am a penguin and I turn my head. Can you do it?

I can do it!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0694013013, Board book)

What does an elephant do? It stomps its foot. Can you? From the creator of such beloved classics as The Grouchy Ladybug and The Mixed-Up Chameleon comes this interactive story that invites kids to imitate animal movements. Watching giraffes bend their necks or monkeys wave their arms is fun, but nothing could be better than joining in. From their heads down to their toes, kids will be wriggling, jiggling, and giggling as they try to keep up with these animals!Alligators wiggle, elephants stop, gorillas thump, and giraffes bend. Can you do it? - I can do it!’ is the confidence-building message of this fun-filled interactive picture book. A variety of familiar animals invite young children to copy their antics, and as they play, they will learn such important skills as careful listening, focusing attention, and following instructions. Just as alphabet books introduce the very young child to letters and simple words, From Head to Toe introduces the basic body parts and simple body movements. And in the same way that children progress from understanding simple words to reading and writing sentences and stories, so they will progress from simple body movements to dancing, gymnastics, and other sports and activities, with confidence and pleasure.

Eric Carle's colorful collages have delighted children for more than a generation. Each book provides hours of fun while encouraging them to stretch their imaginations. His matchless words and illustrations now send out a new challenge:
Are you ready?
Here we go!
Move yourself
From Head to Toe.

A Main Selection of the Children’s Book-of-the-Month Club

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:45 -0400)

Encourages the reader to exercise by following the movements of various animals; presented in a question and answer format.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,791,004 books! | Top bar: Always visible