Grounded by David Bischoff

The first thing that I noticed about this novel was that none of the characters really acted, or what was even more glaring, spoke like themselves. Data was the only one who even remotely seemed like himself. I think that the author was trying to get a certain character to sound more erudite while others sounded more 'down' with the lingo and less formal. I don't think it worked.

In general the writing just seemed clunkier than the average Star Trek novel. Which made it a bit hard to get into.

The story was basic enough. Enterprise answers a distress call from a science station, and from there chaos ensues thanks to a new and interesting life form. Not a very unique Star Trek plot, though it does have its own different twists (and the autism subplot was interesting).

Still the writing was very hard to get past so that the book could be enjoyed. Instead at every turn and every new page I tripped over wrong sounding characters and mostly bad writing. A shame. ( )
  DanieXJ | Feb 11, 2013 |
STAR TREK
  rustyoldboat | May 28, 2011 |
picard and co save the day ( )
  vicarofdibley | Oct 1, 2006 |
For
Michael Cassutt

Tennis on Stardock Sometime, Mike?
Stardate 45229.6

Captain Jean-Luc Picard started to tug at his uniform, but stopped himself.

"WITH ALL DUE RESPECT, SIR," SAID RIKER, "WE'VE BEEN SITTING HERE ALL AFTERNOON WAITING FOR YOUR REPORTS."

"We know its incredible," said Geordi.

"What we'd like to know is what we can do about it!" Beverly chimed in.

"Admiral, please forgive my crew," said Captain Picard, "But you can understand their - our - impatience. Especially since you've taken the matter out of our hands."

"Captain Picard, I'll not mince words," Admiral Davies cleared his throat and assumed a deeper stentorian tone. "By the power vested in my by the Federation I find the USS Enterprise a total loss. And as I have been advised by my science officer that its very presence here at Starbase 210 is a danger, I am ordering that it be towed by tractor beam out to a safe portion of space ... where it shall be destroyed by photon torpedo."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671797476, Mass Market Paperback)

While answering a distress call from a scientific station in a remote part of the glaxy, the U.S.S. Enterprise™ becomes infected with a mysterious alien life form which feeds on and transforms inorganic materials.

The Starship begins to gradually disintegrate, and Starfleet is forced to order its evacuation and destruction to prevent the dangerous infection form spreading throughout the galaxy. It's the end of an era for Captain Picard and his crew, who are scheduled for transfers that will split them up among different Starfleet vessels.

But even as the end draws neear for the Starship Enterprise™, Captain Picard begins to formulate a desperate plan to save his ship and preserve his crew -- a plan that will force him to defy Starfleet orders and lead him to a connfrontation with a malevolent alien force -- which has the power to destroy the entire Federation.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:51 -0400)

When a crystalline virus infects the Enterprise, Starfleet orders the flagship's destruction, but Captain Picard will risk his career to save his ship, and the entire Federation.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,304,404 books! | Top bar: Always visible