Jack & the Beanstalk by Ed McBain

Jack & the Beanstalk (1984)

by Ed McBain

Series: Matthew Hope Mystery (4)

When a client is murdered just before he's due to pay forty grand for a bean farm, lawyer Matthew Hope wanders into a world of shotguns, cowboys, dangerous farm beauties, and vanished cash. Praise for the Matthew Hope Mysteries A cracking good read?a solid, suspenseful, swiftly-paced story.? ? Pittsburgh Post-Gazette McBain has a great approach, great attitude, terrific style, strong plots, excellent dialogue, sense of place, and sense of reality.? ? Elmore Leonard… (more)

“... and I didn’t know whether she’d meant she was sorry I’d been beaten up or sorry she was ending it this way.”

Matthew Hope gets his ass kicked in a bar, defending/protecting his girlfriend, and after the hospital, she breaks up with him. Tough start to this book!

Then, the book slows waaaaay down, and I learn more about raising cattle than I ever wanted to. Waaaay more. Then it picks up again, and then it's over. The dialogue is good, especially the banter, but the main character, Hope, is pretty lame, and I didn't much care for anyone else, except maybe the cops. It was my first "Hope" book, and probably my last. I'll stick to the 87th Precinct, thanks. ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | May 24, 2019 |

Ed McBainprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lundwall, Sam J.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Müller, WolfdietrichTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ratzkin,LawrenceCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

As he tries to decipher the complicated estate of Jack McKinney, Matthew Hope is pursued by two femmes fatale - the dead man's mother and his sister.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,611,236 books! | Top bar: Always visible