Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Infidel (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Member:LisaMaria_C
Title:Infidel
Authors:Ayaan Hirsi Ali
Info:Free Press (2008), Edition: 1st ptg thus, Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Reviewed, Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:non-fiction, 2012-around-the-world, biography, memoir, autobiography, current affairs, politics, Islam, Religion, feminism, Somalia, Ethiopia, Kenya, Holland, Netherlands, Africa, Muslims, Saudi Arabia

Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali (2007)

In the Land of Invisible Women by Qanta Ahmed (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: A perspective on women's place in Islam from a modern, western muslim woman who experiences life in Saudi Arabia. Her ideas about the Koran are polar-opposite.
    Slave: My True Story by Mende Nazer (howelson)
    howelson: Another strong woman. Mende Nazar survives slavery in Africa and the United Kingdom.
    Unorthodox: The Scandalous Rejection of My Hasidic Roots by Deborah Feldman (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: How each woman, in two different religions, escaped from the binding expectations of her own religion's fervent religious requirements and expectations. Both are excellent autobiographies.
    Son of Hamas by Mosab Hassan Yousef (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: This book has a similar view of Islam, and is also a very intense perspective of life in a culture that does not permit diverse thought.
    Nomad: From Islam to America: A Personal Journey Through the Clash of Civilizations by Ayaan Hirsi Ali (StreedsReads)
    Why I Am Not a Muslim by Ibn Warraq (Anonymous user)
    My Isl@m : how fundamentalism stole my mind--and doubt freed my soul by Amir Ahmad Nasr (TomWaitsTables)
    Shame by Jasvinder Sanghera (Nickelini)
    Nickelini: both are memoirs written by brave women who chose to stand up for themselves and not agree to be sacrificed for some traditional concept of “family honour.” Both women over came considerable odds to get an education, and now are using their brains and experience to assist others.… (more)

English (156)  Dutch (4)  Danish (3)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All (166)
Autobiographical account of an immigrant from Somalia (via Saudi Arabia, Ethiopia & Kenya) who was granted refugee status in Holland and eventually a Dutch passport. Ali was branded an infidel because of her outspoken views on Islam. I appreciated that she wrote her opinion of the positive and negative aspects of the faith she grew up with which provided an informative and interesting insight to a world I know nothing of. Her style does not seem sensationalist, nor is it a beautifully written book. It is simply a personal story. I couldn't put it down. ( )
  essjay1 | Jan 11, 2017 |
Ayaan Hirsi Ali is one of the feminist that had to go through the unfairness of how moslem women are treated in Africa. Her questions about Islam in school and her pain going through what young islam girl has to go through (genital mutilation, arranged marriage, refuge) and finally managed to runaway to Europe (Netherland) where she continued her studies and finally became herself although her life is in danger. The book was well written and page turning for me. ( )
  parvita | Dec 27, 2016 |
An amazing biography of a life still in progress. ( )
  DeborahJ2016 | Oct 26, 2016 |
Fascinating if not disturbing biography of a stridently heroic woman leaving Islam and successfully making her own way in life. Filled with information about Islam not previously known to this reader. ( )
  SLVLIB | May 23, 2016 |
A friend lent me this book to read, and I was finally able to sit down and finish it. I was shocked at some of the rituals that still continue to this day, saddened as well. As for the writing, it went pretty smoothly, and kept me interested up until the ending. Sounds funny huh, but I think I became a tad bored with it. To fight for something you believe in is very admirable. Unfortunate that her family will probably never have anything more to do with her, but I think she is a strong woman for standing up for what she believes in and trying to make changes. ( )
  gma2lana | May 9, 2016 |

Hirsi Ali, Ayaanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hitchens, ChristopherForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Abeh, Ma, Ayeeyo (Grandma), Mahad
And in loving memory of Haweya
One November morning in 2004, Theo van Gogh got up to go to work at his film production company in Amsterdam.

Ayaan Hirsi Ali captured the world’s attention with Infidel, her coming-of-age memoir, which spent thirty-one weeks on the New York Times bestseller list.

Ayaan Hirsi Ali is one of today’s most admired and controversial political figures. She burst into international headlines following the murder of Theo van Gogh by an Islamist who threatened she would be next; and she made headlines again when she was stripped of her citizenship and forced to resign from the Dutch Parliament.

Infidel shows the coming of age of this elegant, distinguished—and sometimes reviled—political superstar and champion of free speech—the development of her beliefs, iron will, and extraordinary determination to fight injustice done in the name of religion. Raised in a strict Muslim family, Hirsi Ali survived civil war, female circumcision, brutal beatings, an adolescence as a devout believer, the rise of the Muslim Brotherhood, and life in four countries under dictatorships. She escaped from a forced marriage and sought asylum in the Netherlands, where she fought for the rights of Muslim women and the reform of Islam, earning her the enmity of reactionary Islamists and craven politicians.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:08 -0400)

Ayaan Hirsi Ali tells her life story. An advocate for free speech and women's rights, Hirsi Ali lives under armed protection because of her outspoken criticism of the Islamic faith in which she was raised.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,846,768 books! | Top bar: Always visible