The Masked City (The Invisible Library…

The Masked City (The Invisible Library Novel) (original 2015; edition 2016)

by Genevieve Cogman (Author)

Member:lauri804
Title:The Masked City (The Invisible Library Novel)
Authors:Genevieve Cogman (Author)
Info:Ace (2016), Edition: Reprint, 384 pages
Collections:Read in 2016

The Masked City by Genevieve Cogman (2015)

mom (175)

English (38)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (40)
I was given a free galley of this book by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I love this series and highly recommend it. This second book in the series is just as captivating as the first. Building on the characters we grew to know and love from the first book and adding more color, vibrancy and flare along with an intriguing and interesting story line, this book will have you up late reading! ( )
  Velmeran | Jan 26, 2019 |
4.5 stars...

This second book was a huge improvement over the first. I finally felt like I understood the Library's role in the balancing of order & chaos and I got a clearer picture of the roles the Fae and Dragons play.

And it's always fun to read about books!

EmpressReece | Nov 8, 2018 |
The second book in The Invisible Library series sees Librarian Irene Winters heading off on a rescue mission when her apprentice (and dragon in human form), Kai, is kidnapped. Heading to a parallel world where the chaos levels are so high that almost all interactions resort to narrative tropes (the best form of feeding Fae). To prevent a war between the Fae and Kai's royal family of dragons, which will be destructive mostly to the innocent human population, Irene must rescue Kai with almost no support from the very powerful Library.

This one took a little bit longer to build into itself and really enthrall me due to the political machinations but the last 100 pages are full of some truly excellent action that had me turning the pages as fast as I could. Definitely recommended for fans of the series. ( )
  MickyFine | Oct 24, 2018 |
The second book in the Invisible Libraries series - these are light and easy to read books which was what I was in the mood for. Irene's librarian assistant, Kai, has been captured by the Fae and she heads to an alternate Venice to rescue him. I enjoyed this slightly less than the first book but it's nice to read a series with a competent female heroine who has to rescue her male colleague rather than the other way round - having said that, I think the stories work better when Kai and Irene can interact which they couldn't for most of this book. Hopefully they're are back adventuring together in The Burning Page. ( )
  souloftherose | Oct 23, 2018 |
Thank you, again, to everyone who helped with this book. Thank you to my agent, Lucienne Diver, who helped me find monsters in the depths of London, and my editor Bella Pagan, who is marvelous at her job and to whom this book owes a great deal. Thanks to my beta-readers, my friends, my family, my supporters, and the classifications team at work. Your help is very much appreciated. And many thanks to the beautiful city of Venice, which deserves far better writing than I have been able to give it.
The London air was full of smog and filth.
The idea of a hot bath hung in the future like the promise of Christmas or a new book in a favourite series

Librarian-spy
Irene Winters needs to save
her assistant Kai.
(passion4reading)

"Librarian-spy Irene and her apprentice Kai are back in the second in this "dazzling"* book-filled fantasy series from the author of The Invisible Library. The written word is mightier than the sword--most of the time... Working in an alternate version of Victorian London, Librarian-spy Irene has settled into a routine, collecting important fiction for the mysterious Library and blending in nicely with the local culture. But when her apprentice, Kai--a dragon of royal descent--is kidnapped by the Fae, her carefully crafted undercover operation begins to crumble. Kai's abduction could incite a conflict between the forces of chaos and order that would devastate all worlds and all dimensions. To keep humanity from getting caught in the crossfire, Irene will have to team up with a local Fae leader to travel deep into a version of Venice filled with dark magic, strange coincidences, and a perpetual celebration of Carnival--and save her friend before he becomes the first casualty of a catastrophic war. But navigating the tumultuous landscape of Fae politics will take more than Irene's book-smarts and fast-talking--to ward off Armageddon, she might have to sacrifice everything she holds dear.... INCLUDES AUTHOR INTERVIEW"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,164,337 books! | Top bar: Always visible