The Eaton by John K. Addis

The Eaton

by John K. Addis

921,389,423 (3.67)None

I found this book on Amazon's Kindle Unlimited list. I chose this book for a couple of reasons. The first is because of Whisper Sync. Do you know Whisper Sync? It's an awesome feature with Amazon, where you can have an ebook and an audiobook in one! With The Eaton by John K. Addis, it was as close to an audio drama as it could get!

Secondly, the cover was weird enough to strike my fancy Thankfully, the story was a good choice. It wasn't scary, but offered situations and deaths that were as close to a horror movie as it could get. It entertained me and kept me listening, even when I thought I was getting bored with it. That's hard to do! read.
Picture
The story is about a young man who's finally living his dream, owning his own nightclub. With his fiancé and best friend, Sam takes a tour of a future purchase: a building. Surprisingly, they discover it's atop a 12-floored hotel... that's below ground! Thinking he's gotten more than he'd ever imagined, the three, along with a professional decorator and a family friend who'd assisted him in gaining a tour the facilities. But something is down below, waiting. It wishes to not be disturbed and is very unhappy.

The Eaton tells two stories, well honestly it tells several. The main storyline takes place in the here and now, but the one that gives all the what's and why's takes place in the past. The author, John K. Addis, did well with keeping the periods separate and offered up an explanation that tied everything together flawlessly. Though a bit wordy from time to time, it didn't hurt the tale nor annoy me.

The horror was in great taste and rather gruesome, but that's what I like in haunted stories. I don't think he could have done anything different. What also helped was the Whisper Sync, which turned my ebook into an audiobook! There were times I was able to read in bed, or listen while cleaning house and I'm going to tell you- the screams and crabbiness in the voices was pure perfection. This book was a trip and a half and I can't wait to find my next Addis book!

Check out this haunted story while I move on to the next read!
www.areneehunt.com ( )
  AReneeHunt | Jan 29, 2017 |
Absolutely brilliant! This book was so terrifying that I was awake long after I had put it down for the night. Full of suspense, history, and character development, John Addis brings us a masterpiece. He could be the next Stephen King. ( )
  BrittanyLyn | Jun 21, 2016 |

The Eaton is the debut novel of John K. Addis. Spanning over 100 years of mid-Michigan history, but written in the gruesome style of ‘80s horror classics, The Eaton tells the story of Sam Spicer, who purchases the dilapidated Michigan Central Railroad Depot in Eaton Rapids with the dream of opening a hot new martini bar. But when he and his friends discover an abandoned underground hotel directly beneath the property, they must discover what happened to the original guests—before their own time runs out.

Early Reviews:

"***** (5 Stars) - Reading John K. Addis was like reading an eighties horror movie. It’s fast paced, macabre and full of gritty atmospheric settings, along with a relentlessly chilling plot from an author who’s mastered the genre!" - Catherine Rose Putsche, Top #40 Regional Goodreads Reviewer, Author of "The Surgeon’s Son"

"***** (5 Stars) - The Eaton is the best kind of horror. Some of the images are so vivid that I had to put The Eaton down for a few minutes, let myself relax, take a few breaths, and then I could continue. This book is so well plotted, and the characters feel so real, that you will be as terrorized as they are. You will have to keep reading to see what happens next, even if you are afraid to find out." - Bill Mackela, Bill’s Book Reviews

"***** (5 Stars) - Amazing debut by a really talented author. As the action unfolds, and we start jumping back and forth in time, the narrative becomes irresistible. This is one of those books that will stick with you after you read it—Addis does a great job of putting you in the action." - Alec Drachman, Goodreads

"***** (5 Stars) - I would recommend The Eaton to anyone who loves a good horror story with rich, well-developed characters who all have their secrets they would like to keep hidden, but are faced with a horror they’ve never met. If you ever hoped to find tunnels under the floorboards of an old house, or imagined you were on some sort of expedition to discover secrets that have been buried for years, you might want to try The Eaton." - Melanie Marsh, FangFreakinTasticReviews.com

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 30 Oct 2015 21:28:48 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,855,976 books! | Top bar: Always visible