The Safest Lies by Megan Miranda

The Safest Lies

by Megan Miranda

Picked this book up at the thrift store just for the cover and so glad I did. The story was great!
Best psychological thriller I've read this year and that counts the Adult books. Honestly this book is great at giving you that weird vibe feeling the uncomfortable with ick. It's a book about a life based on lies and half truths and fear. Loved every part of it, held my attention till the very end. ( )
  greergreer | Mar 1, 2019 |
I picked up this book because I had read 2 of Megan Miranda's psychological thrillers - All The Missing Girls and The Perfect Stranger. This novel, The Safest Lies, is actually a TEEN book, as the main characters are teenagers.
Kelsey Thomas is used to living in a fortress. Her mother, Amanda, is agoraphobic because Amanda was kidnapped when she was 17. When Kelsey is in a car accident, things begin to change. Kelsey becomes involved with Ryan, a volunteer firefighter and student at her school, when he helps to rescue her. Kelsey takes a chance, and because of that chance, her home is no longer safe.
Kelsey needs to rely on survival instincts that her mother has taught her over the years. Some of it is a bit fantastic, but it keeps the story moving at a breakneck pace.
I enjoyed this, and I may check out some of Megan Miranda's earlier works as well as keeping up with her latest offerings.
#MeganMiranda #TheSafestLies ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
Holy shit what a book! This was an intense mysterious thrill ride. Didn't know what was going to happen next. Didn't want to put it down. ( )
  Tiffy_Reads | Mar 19, 2018 |
Interesting concept about a girl who is extremely sheltered because her mother was kidnapped and held captive as a teen, and escaped when she was pregnant. But the truth starts to unravel when the mom, who has never left the house, is missing. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Jan 9, 2018 |
When I first was introduced to Megan Miranda it was with All the Missing Girls and The Perfect Stranger, the second being an ARC, and I was instantly enamored with her style of writing. So, when I heard about this book, I requested it my library. Once I got it, I could not wait to read it and once I started, I was hooked.

This book follows a teen named Kelsey Thomas, who lives with her mother, who suffers from agoraphobia and severe anxiety. Having survived her own kidnapping seventeen years earlier, she has refused to leave her home for anything. She orders groceries and essentials online, she works from home, and the only time Kelsey leaves is school and work. Living with such fear and paranoia has taken its toll on Kelsey as much as her mother. When she meets Ryan, after being helped during a time of crisis, they begin to date. Things take a turn when she comes home to find her mom missing. As she tries to find out what happened, with Ryan by her side, she begins to discover the truth behind her mother's disappearance, kidnapping, and everything in between.

This book was mysterious, thrilling, and emotional. I found myself sympathizing with Kelsey as she struggled with her own fears and anxiety. Some of her mannerisms and symptoms are something I am all to familiar with, as I suffer from anxiety, as well as depression. Her need to always have a way out of any situation, finding all the available exits, is something I too am always looking for. Especially is social situations, where I tend to have the most anxiety.

If you enjoyed Megan Miranda's other books and haven't read this one, Read it. Like now.
  BingeReader87 | Nov 22, 2017 |

Fans of Lauren Oliver and Gayle Foreman will be captivated by this YA psychological mystery that explores the cutting-edge science of fear.

Kelsey has lived most of her life in a shadow of fear, raised to see danger everywhere. Her mother hasn’t set foot outside their front door in seventeen years, since she escaped from her kidnappers with nothing but her attacker’s baby growing inside her—Kelsey.

Kelsey knows she’s supposed to keep a low profile and stay off the grid for their protection, but that plan is shattered when her dramatic car accident and rescue by volunteer firefighter and classmate Ryan Baker sparks media coverage.

A few days later, she arrives home to find her mother missing. Now, to have a chance at a future, Kelsey will have to face her darkest fears. Because someone is coming for her. And the truth about the past may end up being the most dangerous thing of all.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 31 Oct 2015 00:54:05 -0400)

"When Kelsey's agoraphobic mother disappears after years of claiming the kidnappers she escaped from were coming back for her, Kelsey quickly discovers that her mother isn't who she thought she was -- and she's not the abductor's only target"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,817,848 books! | Top bar: Always visible