Storm Horse by Nick Garlick

Storm Horse

by Nick Garlick

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A heartwarming story of a 12-year-old boy who loses his way after his father is killed and his mother had abandoned them when Flip was just a young boy. His father is a criminal who has shady dealings with stolen goods and he traded his life for his life of crime. Flip is left alone, but is sent from the bustling town of Amsterdam to a remote Dutch island to live with his estranged uncle and his family. Of course, Flip is grateful to them for accepting him, but while his uncle is stern and Flip is not used to farm life, he manages to fit in as best he can, being polite and agreeable to chores and other duties.

His loneliness changes when he finds a stallion thrashing in the waves offshore. Knowing virtually nothing about horses, Flip nonetheless risks his life to save the animal. They bond and he hopes to keep the animal and care for him on his uncle's farm. With the shadowy help of a mute, ghostlike girl, he works with the horse, he now calls Storm, to earn his keep.

Many factors come to play, from bullies, to hardships, to the possibility of his uncle losing the farm, but Flip and his horse come to the aid of many when times are tough. Storm Horse wraps up nicely with many pieces of a puzzle converging to come to a satisfying ending. A well-written story with a nicely narrated voice makes this audio book delightful.

Thank you to LibraryThing Early Reviewers, Recorded Books, and Nick Garlick for this copy. ( )
  jackiewark | May 24, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was great, a real winner! I really liked the characters and the story. A wonderful sense of place. I appreciated the growing relationship between boy and horse. I loved the developing closeness of the family, the blossoming of the "ghost girl" and Flip's strength, courage and learning. Wonderful book, terrific narrator, I didn't want it to end. This is one I will want to give as gifts and share with friends . I was lucky enough to win a copy on LibraryThing. My tremendous thanks to them. ( )
  njcur | May 8, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I usually shy away from books written about animals because I feel such empathy for them that the stories often make me sad. I am so glad I gave this book a chance. I really connected with Flip and loved the portrayal of friendship between Flip and his horse. The author really captured the human-animal bond in a beautiful and moving way. I also think Flip is the kind of character that more people‚ÄĒespecially children--need to read and be inspired. His honesty, integrity, courage, bravery, and selflessness were encouraging and uplifting.

This was my first listening experience with the narrator, Malk Williams. His voice was soothing and made me feel like I was listening to someone full of wisdom and insight. I thought he was a perfect choice to tell this story. ( )
  cwhisenant11 | Apr 28, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I listened to this book on audio. I know I would have enjoyed this book as a girl as I read a lot of horse books then. There is a lot of good drama and adventure in this book and a boy with a big heart. ( )
  eliorajoy | Apr 19, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I listened to this book in audio. I liked the reader and the story. The villian was a little too mean, but I guess you have to have that kind of character in the story.
I liked the descriptions of the island and how the horse was trained.

It is a good book for kids who like horses. ( )
  rkchr | Apr 19, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Nick Garlick's book Storm Horse is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,439,847 books! | Top bar: Always visible