The Outlandish Companion by Diana Gabaldon

The Outlandish Companion (1999)

by Diana Gabaldon

1,319195,901 (3.83)24

Like the title says, this is a companion to the series and should be read after reading the first four books since it contains whole book summaries and a full character index.
  1stavenue | Sep 20, 2013 |
I'm not sure why I thought it was a good idea to get the companion... I guess I just needed a little Outlander fix - and I did get that - but I don't think companion books are for me.
I am sure lots of people will appreciate it, though, but I'm just going to have to try to be patient until the next actual Outlander book comes out. ( )
  Lexxie | Apr 23, 2013 |
Diana Gabaldon is never short on words and she got to use her footnotes in this book! :) [or maybe I should write instead]

Obviously if you are reading this book, you have read at least the first four books of the series. Overall, it was an intriguing read.

Some parts I could have lived without in the book (even though they were interesting). For instance, the genealogy went way past what I thought would be included in the book, and the horoscopes could have been posted on her website instead. [I could almost imagine certain parts of this book being broken down and sold separately.]

I enjoyed the personal letters/discussions, Q&A, and the "errors" found in the books discussed the best. For those of you who have not read beyond the first four books might like the sneak previews of the upcoming book (whose title has changed since this edition was printed). [Not to mention the fact that there will not be 9 books to the series instead of the proposed 6.]

This book was also good for those thinking about writing (more so, for those interested in writing about historical fiction). When considering the advice and references, remember that this book was copyright in 1999.

There was also good references to characters, words/phrases, and additional resources that the reader can go back to later.

PS. If I learned nothing else from DG, I learned not to fear the size of a book! ( )
  Maria1010 | Feb 28, 2013 |
Super brief - this is a handy reference to have around regardless of how often one has read this series. It helps keep things in chronological order, keep the relationships in a manageable format (including showing any changes). Certainly not to be considered light reading, this is much closer to research material than to a fictional novel (series). And then there is the fact that this only goes so far into the series, having been written well before serval of the latter portion of the series. But nonetheless it is useful, not to mention full of fascinating information. ( )
  Isisunit | Sep 24, 2012 |
Wow, this book is stuffed with information. If I had read it earlier in the series, I would have been giddy over the insights. Most of the insights, however, are revealed in the latter books.
Still, Gabaldon is remarkable and this book is no exception. ( )
  swivelgal | Oct 24, 2010 |
Well, it was all an accident, is what it was.
One of the Ten Favorite Questions Interviewers Ask is: “How did you make the transition from being a scientist to being a novelist?” “Wrote a book,” I reply tersely.
Both science and art ultimately rest on the same foundation: the ability to draw patterns out of chaos. It’s just that when you do science, you observe the chaos; when you do art, you get to define it.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385324138, Hardcover)

For nine years, four books, and nearly 4,000 pages, Diana Gabaldon has entranced readers with her talent for historical authenticity, dramatic plot lines, and strong characters in the Outlander series. Her superb writing has earned a loyal audience, but after a million and a half words, even the most fervent of fans may have a difficult time trying to recall the exact details of the secondary characters, let alone the obscure ones. Thankfully, Gabaldon's The Outlandish Companion is here to help.

Part crib notes and part trivia guide, this essential handbook includes synopses of the first four novels, a character guide, notes on plot development and research, answers to frequently asked questions, and teasers for the upcoming novels--there're even horoscope charts of the central characters, a list of fan Web sites, and choice recipes for the truly devoted.

Readers looking for a fix of Gabaldon's humorous voice or insight into her writing processes and characters will certainly be more than satisfied, but those looking for the next installment of Jamie and Claire's adventures will have to wait for The Fiery Cross, the fifth book in this bestselling series, expected sometime in late 1999 to early 2000. --Nancy R.E. O'Brien

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:09 -0400)

A guide to the Outlander series, time-travel romances featuring Claire Beauchamp Randall, a Red Cross nurse. Included are synopses of novels, biographies, family trees and pronunciation help.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,618,742 books! | Top bar: Always visible