The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

The Handmaid's Tale (original 1985; edition 1998)

by Margaret Atwood (Author)

Member:marycallan
Title:The Handmaid's Tale
Authors:Margaret Atwood (Author)
Info:Anchor (1998), Edition: 1st Anchor Books, 311 pages

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (1985)

1984 by George Orwell (cflorente, norabelle414, Schwehnchen)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (ateolf)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (readerbabe1984, rosylibrarian, ateolf, browner56)
    browner56: Two chilling, though extremely well written, reminders that liberty, freedom, and self-determination are not idle concepts.
    Brave New World & Brave New World Revisited by Aldous Huxley (fannyprice)
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (mrstreme)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (smiteme)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (cflorente)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (Schwehnchen, mcenroeucsb)
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (wosret)
    Herland by Charlotte Perkins Gilman (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: An upside down recommendation, as this is an "all-women" utopia rather than a dystopia, but a fun read.
    The Gate to Women's Country by Sheri S. Tepper (lesvrolyk)
    The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood (smiteme)
    When She Woke by Hillary Jordan (sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: The Handmaid's Tale is the classic forerunner to dystopic fiction of sexist futures. When She Woke picks up the mantel with a more modern version of a misogynistic theocracy taking over government. Both show terrifying futures for the state of women in society.… (more)
    V for Vendetta by Alan Moore (readerbabe1984)
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (themephi)
    Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood (k8_not_kate)
    The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin (LamontCranston)
    The Red Tent by Anita Diamant (wosret, Kaelkivial)
    Kaelkivial: Both stories of strong women who resist (in one form or another) the system that holds them down. Both books fairly fast paced and gripping; acts of violence and loss scattered throughout.
    I Who Have Never Known Men by Jacqueline Harpman (wosret)
    The Unit by Ninni Holmqvist (bookcrushblog)

1980s (1)
Read (9)

English (780)  Spanish (8)  French (4)  Catalan (4)  Dutch (3)  Finnish (2)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Norwegian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (808)
I know others love this book, but I had a hard time reading it because I just couldn't really get into it. This book was still an interesting read though, especially reading it in 2017 and with the show coming out. A friend had kind of sum it up and mentioned about the wives situation before I started reading which was a good thing, because I still had a tough time with the hierarchy system they had put into place. I do recommend it to read with the forewarning of it being a story of what I think is a regression of society. ( )
  midkid88 | Dec 8, 2018 |
Dystopian fiction is a genre I rarely read. I imagine it ought to evoke visceral reactions, and Offred's experiences manage to do that.

Since the story is restricted to a single person's point of view, at times you do feel like there are plot holes, questions left unanswered. There is also the problem of appropriation, that the book poses- Offred's experiences, while horrifying in themselves, have already happened to marginalized sections of humanity. Yet there is almost no mention of other minorities in the book, no reference to how they resisted this dictatorial regime. ( )
  AceFeminist | Dec 7, 2018 |
Una auténtica obra maestra de imprescindible lectura, tanto por su técnica narrativa como por su contenido, por su denuncia social tan dura y tan actual. Por ser una novela tan necesaria hoy en día y, me temo, lo seguirá siendo durante mucho tiempo.

Crítica completa en: https://alibreria.com/2017/08/21/critica-a-el-cuento-de-la-criada-de-margaret-atwood/ ( )
  MiriamBeizana | Dec 3, 2018 |
I was really torn between giving this three or four stars. I wanted to give it four because it's a classic, but I decided on three because it made me mad. There are some very harsh themes in this book that are surprisingly realistic. I really felt that the ideas in this dystopian society aren't that far away from some of the current ideas that people are fighting about. A few are a bit extreme, but are just exaggerated versions of the truth.

I want to be mad at our narrator for being so numb and not fighting, but I think I would probably be the same way if I were in her shoes. How can you fight a system that has dressed you up and made you it's breeder?

***spoiler-ish***
The ending of this book is what really makes me mad. They spent the entire novel showing how women are being punished for their sex and when Ofglen finally gets her freedom, we don't get to hear about it. We are thrust into this epilogue from the future. I'm glad it was there to explain some of what happens after the tale, but I wanted to hear these things from her point of view and not some scholar. ( )
  aurorapaigem | Dec 1, 2018 |
I hate the ending of this book. I hate how real portions of it feel and possible.

It's terrifying and almost eye opening in ways. It would happen like this slowly not suddenly and before you know it everything is awful.

Highly recommend the audio version. ( )
  rabidgummibear | Nov 28, 2018 |

Atwood, Margaretprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Balbusso, AnnaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Balbusso, ElenaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Boyd, FlorenceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Danes, ClaireNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
David, JoannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marcellino, FredCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And when Rachel saw that she bare Jacob no children, Rachel envied her sister, and said unto Jacob, Give me children, or else I die.

And Jacob's anger was kindled against Rachel, and he said, Am I in God's stead, who hath withheld from thee the fruit of the womb?

And she said, Behold my maid Bihah, go in unto her, and she shall bear upon my knees, that I may also have children by her.
                              — Genesis 30:1-3
But as to myself, having been wearied out for many years with offering vain, idle, visionary thoughts, and at length utterly despairing of success, I fortunately fell upon this proposal. . .
                              — Jonathan Swift, A Modest Proposal
In the desert there is no sign that says, Thou shalt not eat stones.
                              — Sufi proverb
For Mary Webster and Perry Miller
We slept in what had once been the gymnasium.
As all historians know, the past is a great darkness, and filled with echoes. Voices may reach us from it; but what they say to us is imbued with the obscurity of the matrix out of which they come; and, try as we may, we cannot always decipher them precisely in the clearer light of our own day.
Time has not stood still. It has washed over me, washed me away, as if I’m nothing more than a woman of sand, left by a careless child too near the water.
The shell of the egg is smooth but also grained; small pebbles of calcium are defined by the sunlight, like craters on the moon. It's a barren landscape, yet perfect; it's the sort of desert the saints went into, so their minds would not be distracted by profusions. I think that this is what God must look like: an egg. The life of the moon may not be on the surface, but inside.
But remember that forgiveness too is a power. To beg for it is a power, and to withhold or bestow it is a power, perhaps the greatest. Maybe none of this is about control... Maybe it's about who can do what to whom and be forgiven for it. Never tell me it amounts to the same thing.
There is more than one kind of freedom, said Aunt Lydia, freedom to and freedom from. In the days of anarchy, it was freedom to. Now you are being given freedom from. Don't underrate it.
The Reading Guide Edition is the substantial equivalent the main Handmaid's Tale work, with a few additional pages of questions for groups to consider at the back. Please therefore leave these works combined together. Thank you

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038549081X, Paperback)

In the world of the near future, who will control women's bodies?

Offred is a Handmaid in the Republic of Gilead. She may leave the home of the Commander and his wife once a day to walk to food markets whose signs are now pictures instead of words because women are no longer allowed to read. She must lie on her back once a month and pray that the Commander makes her pregnant, because in an age of declining births, Offred and the other Handmaids are only valued if their ovaries are viable.

Offred can remember the days before, when she lived and made love with her husband Luke; when she played with and protected her daughter; when she had a job, money of her own, and access to knowledge. But all of that is gone now....

Funny, unexpected, horrifying, and altogether convincing, The Handmaid's Tale is at once scathing satire, dire warning, and tour de force.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:22 -0400)

A look at the near future presents the story of Offred, a Handmaid in the Republic of Gilead, once the United States, an oppressive world where women are no longer allowed to read and are valued only as long as they are viable for reproduction.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,682,055 books! | Top bar: Always visible