The Handmaid's Tale: A Novel by…

The Handmaid's Tale: A Novel (original 1985; edition 1998)

by Margaret Atwood

Member:bharker
Title:The Handmaid's Tale: A Novel
Authors:Margaret Atwood
Info:Anchor (1998), Edition: 1st Anchor Books, Paperback, 320 pages

The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (1985)

1980s (1)
    Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (cflorente, norabelle414, Schwehnchen)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (ateolf)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (readerbabe1984, RosyLibrarian, ateolf, browner56)
    browner56: Two chilling, though extremely well written, reminders that liberty, freedom, and self-determination are not idle concepts.
    Brave New World & Brave New World Revisited by Aldous Huxley (fannyprice)
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (mrstreme)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (cflorente)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (smiteme)
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (wosret)
    Herland by Charlotte Perkins Gilman (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: An upside down recommendation, as this is an "all-women" utopia rather than a dystopia, but a fun read.
    The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood (smiteme)
    V for Vendetta by Alan Moore (readerbabe1984)
    The Gate to Women's Country by Sheri S. Tepper (lesvrolyk)
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (themephi)
    Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler (sturlington)
    The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin (LamontCranston)
    I Who Have Never Known Men by Jacqueline Harpman (wosret)
    When She Woke by Hillary Jordan (sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: The Handmaid's Tale is the classic forerunner to dystopic fiction of sexist futures. When She Woke picks up the mantel with a more modern version of a misogynistic theocracy taking over government. Both show terrifying futures for the state of women in society.… (more)
    The Unit by Ninni Holmqvist (bookcrushblog)
    Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood (k8_not_kate)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (Schwehnchen, mcenroeucsb)

English (464)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  Catalan (2)  Finnish (2)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Norwegian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (481)
READ IN DUTCH

On my quest in search of Dystopian books, I came across The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. It seemed to have all the ingredients to make this book very interesting.

A culture war had been fought and the ultra religious winners have stripped women of all their rights. Women are only used as breeding machines, since there seems to be some trouble with reproduction. What I thought to be really interesting, is that the main character isn't born into this world. She has seen the change, and even though she doesn't agree (of course) she isn't the heroine who's come to save the world.

I believe this to be a very interesting novel, and I'm planning to read other books by Margaret Atwood. ( )
  Floratina | Sep 25, 2014 |
I'm glad I finally got a chance to finish the book. I started reading this about 17 years ago and then didn't get to finish. I don't recall why or what happened to my copy of the book.

I enjoyed this book as much as Oryx and Crake. Atwood is best at describing the aftermath of a society going horribly wrong. I like that in this one she does let the reader know that life goes on outside of Gilead even if her characters are unaware of things have remained the same outside of their immediate existence. Most authors of this type of story neglect the bigger picture and I'm glad that she didn't. ( )
1 vote pussreboots | Sep 24, 2014 |
man this was weird. i kind of can't even. but i also kind of feel like i've been left hanging a bit. like what actually happened to her? and i want to know more about gilead--how it works and how it came to be. and how it panned out. what does the world look like now?? it was refreshing to see a dystopia set somewhere other than chicago but i guess this isn't ya either so maybe that's her excuse. it's frustrating to have such an unreliable narrator. i'm kind of mad at this book right now tbh. there wasn't really an ending. ( )
  jaelikesbooks | Sep 23, 2014 |
It's been a few years since I read this so forgive me if I get something wrong. As a woman I found this terrifying because of the possibility that this could happen. I live in an all-female household in the UK, we're independent, I could never see myself ever being able to rely on a man for everything I need. We've fought for the rights to work, spend our own money and enjoy the same freedoms as men.

Offred, stripped of her husband who may have been murdered and separated from her daughter, watching her being raised by strangers was horrible. When she is forced to have sex with the Commander I wondered why she had to, couldn't they do the turkey baster thing instead? Or was this just another way to degrade women and for the men to get their jollies - even if the wives had to be present? If they got pregnant, having your baby taken away from you is even more dehumanising. To be treated as an object and one that is not particularly valued is awful.

But then even the men were emasculated, like Nick, he had very little power and if you stepped out of line your head would end up on a pike on the fences. The Commander himself was a coward, despite his greater freedom he didn't seem to like how things were and taking her out to that secret club was for his benefit not hers - he wanted to alleviate his guilt by trying to keep this handmaid from suicide. His wife didn't approve either, who wants to watch their husband have sex with another woman and have their reproductive rights taken away from them? Though I know fertility problems amongst the people were one of the main issues here.

I think in a post-9/11 world this book is even more terrifying. There seem to be many more extremists (religious and otherwise), gender inequalities in other cultures have been highlighted as have corrupt governments and dictators who run societies where violence and persecution are apart of everyday life. So if this sort of society exists elsewhere, it could happen here too.

When I read this as a teenager this book did more to scare me than any blood and guts horror book ever could. An incredibly disturbing and shocking read. ( )
2 vote Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
The Basics

Offred is a handmaid living in a distorted, highly patriarchal world. She always wears red, and she has to abide by a strict set of rules. She is a vessel, and nothing more, at least outwardly. Inwardly, there is a struggle happening, a tale she has to tell.

My Thoughts

This is the review I was dreading. This book is a beloved, dystopian classic. And I didn’t like it that much. That’s vastly disappointing, because dystopian fiction is sort of my thing, but this didn’t hit any of the right buttons for me.

Firstly, the writing. It was written in a stream of consciousness style, and I appreciated why. Offred is not allowed to read or write, so we aren’t reading diary entries. We are directly inside her head, reading her thoughts. It’s very clever. And so irritating to read. Her similes and metaphors were bizarre. She would say off-the-wall things like something looks like a smell or feels like a color. And I just couldn’t stand it. I think I was supposed to find it unique and beautiful, but I kept noticing it and found it insipid. It read like a teenager writing their first poetry with the apparent assumption that poetry is weird. It wasn’t evocative like Atwood intended. Not for me, at least.

As for the feminist angle of the story, it hit some notes perfectly and others were quite flat. The world itself was a good example of any woman’s purest nightmare. Where a woman’s sexuality belongs to a man, not herself. Where we, as a gender, are subjugated to the point that the privilege of news or reading or sharing your thoughts is a crime depending on your status. The most terrifying part of the entire story for me was when the main character flashes back to when it all began. The day she lost her job and couldn’t access her bank account and discovered the reason was the men had taken over and decided to limit what women could have power of. And it was only the beginning.

But then what does Atwood do with this world? Anyone who revolts or is of a different religion or sexual orientation or anything they don’t like is killed, so revolution isn’t in the cards. I’m still not entirely clear on why any of it happened in the first place other than the men felt like doing it, which seemed thin to say the least. So we’re left with following Offred day in and day out, reading her weird, tangled thoughts, waiting for something to happen. When the story finally heads in a direction where something is happening, something that could change everything, it fizzles. And the end is left open to interpretation. I sort of wanted to sling the book across the room when I read that ending. The least it could’ve done was give me some closure, good or bad.

So from that above paragraph, what I’m trying to say is, Atwood really only succeeded in giving a worst case scenario that is indeed very frightening with nothing else particularly engaging about it. Offred is not a rebel. In fact, while she struggles with wanting independence, with raging inside at all she’s been through, the moments where she has a choice, she chooses to obey. Perhaps I was to believe that she was so beaten down that she felt no other choice, but it didn’t read that way to me. It read as someone seeking liberation who was too mixed up about what freedom is to make a choice that mattered. So even her liberation is just a form of obeying, and I was highly disappointed in that. Her friend we hear about on and off through the story, Moira, would’ve made a much more interesting protagonist. I wanted more of her and less of Offred really.

When I heard this book was a feminist story, I expected so much more from it. Less of this gray, drab complacence. Offred is not Winston in 1984. She is a drone who stays a drone, and we can’t even tell if her ending is a beginning or a tragic demise. I feel like this book gave me so little when I expected so much. For the record, if you want some very fearless feminism in your books, read Angela Carter. It’s much more satisfying.

Final Rating

2.5/5 ( )
  Nickidemus | Sep 18, 2014 |
As a cautionary tale, Atwood's novel lacks the direct, chilling plausibility of Nineteen Eighty-Four and Brave New World. It warns against too much: heedless sex, excessive morality, chemical and nuclear pollution. All of these may be worthwhile targets, but such a future seems more complicated than dramatic. But Offred's narrative is fascinating in a way that transcends tense and time: the record of an observant soul struggling against a harsh, mysterious world.
added by Shortride | editTime, Paul Gray (Feb 10, 1986)

How sad for postfeminists that one does not feel for Offred-June half as much as one did for Winston Smith, no hero either but at any rate imaginable. It seems harsh to say again of a poet's novel - so hard to put down, in part so striking - that it lacks imagination, but that, I fear, is the problem.

It's a bleak world that Margaret Atwood opens up for us in her new novel, ''The Handmaid's Tale'' - how bleak and even terrifying we will not fully realize until the story's final pages. But the sensibility through which we view this world is infinitely rich and abundant. And that's why Miss Atwood has succeeded with her anti-Utopian novel where most practitioners of this Orwellian genre have tended to fail.

Margaret Atwoodprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alfsen, MereteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marcellino, FredCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sibthorp, FletcherCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And when Rachel saw that she bare Jacob no children, Rachel envied her sister, and said unto Jacob, Give me children, or else I die.

And Jacob's anger was kindled against Rachel, and he said, Am I in God's stead, who hath withheld from thee the fruit of the womb?

And she said, Behold my maid Bihah, go in unto her, and she shall bear upon my knees, that I may also have children by her
-- Genesis 30:1-3
But as to myself, having been wearied out for many years with offering vain, idle, visionary thoughts, and at length utterly despairing of success, I fortunately fell upon this proposal. . .
-- Jonathan Swift, A Modest Proposal
In the desert there is no sign that says, Thou shalt not eat stones.
-- Sufi proverb
For Mary Webster and Perry Miller
We slept in what had once been the gymnasium.
As all historians know, the past is a great darkness, and filled with echoes. Voices may reach us from it; but what they say to us is imbued with the obscurity of the matrix out of which they come; and, try as we may, we cannot always decipher them precisely in the clearer light of our own day.
Time has not stood still. It has washed over me, washed me away, as if I’m nothing more than a woman of sand, left by a careless child too near the water.
The shell of the egg is smooth but also grained; small pebbles of calcium are defined by the sunlight, like craters on the moon. It's a barren landscape, yet perfect; it's the sort of desert the saints went into, so their minds would not be distracted by profusions. I think that this is what God must look like: an egg. The life of the moon may not be on the surface, but inside.
But remember that forgiveness too is a power. To beg for it is a power, and to withold or bestow it is a power, perhaps the greatest. Maybe none of this is about control...Maybe it's about who can do what to whom and be forgiven for it. Never tell me it amounts to the same thing.
There is more than one kind of freedom, said Aunt Lydia, freedom to and freedom from. In the days of anarchy, it was freedom to. Now you are being given freedom from. Don't underrate it.
The Reading Guide Edition is the substantial equivalent the main Handmaid's Tale work, with a few additional pages of questions for groups to consider at the back. Please therefore leave these works combined together. Thank you

From the back of the book: Offred is a handmaid in the Republic of Gilead. She may leave the home of the commander and his wife once a day to walk to food market whose signs are now pictures instead of words because women are no longer allowed to read. She must lie on her back once a month and pray that the commander makes her pregnant, because in an age of declining births, Offredd and the other handmaids are valued only if their ovaries are viable. Offredd can remember the years before, when she lived and made love with her husband, Luke, when she played with and protected her daughter, when she had a job, money of her own, and access to knowledge. But all of that is gone now…..

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038549081X, Paperback)

In the world of the near future, who will control women's bodies?

Offred is a Handmaid in the Republic of Gilead. She may leave the home of the Commander and his wife once a day to walk to food markets whose signs are now pictures instead of words because women are no longer allowed to read. She must lie on her back once a month and pray that the Commander makes her pregnant, because in an age of declining births, Offred and the other Handmaids are only valued if their ovaries are viable.

Offred can remember the days before, when she lived and made love with her husband Luke; when she played with and protected her daughter; when she had a job, money of her own, and access to knowledge. But all of that is gone now....

Funny, unexpected, horrifying, and altogether convincing, The Handmaid's Tale is at once scathing satire, dire warning, and tour de force.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:40 -0400)

A look at the near future presents the story of Offred, a Handmaid in the Republic of Gilead, once the United States, an oppressive world where women are no longer allowed to read and are valued only as long as they are viable for reproduction.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,980,173 books! | Top bar: Always visible