The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

The Handmaid's Tale (original 1985; edition 2006)

by Margaret Atwood

Member:aliastori
Title:The Handmaid's Tale
Authors:Margaret Atwood
Info:Cornelsen Verlag GmbH C (2006), Paperback, 136 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (1985)

1984 by George Orwell (cflorente, norabelle414, Schwehnchen)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (ateolf)
    Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (readerbabe1984, rosylibrarian, ateolf, browner56)
    browner56: Two chilling, though extremely well written, reminders that liberty, freedom, and self-determination are not idle concepts.
    Brave New World & Brave New World Revisited by Aldous Huxley (fannyprice)
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (mrstreme)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (smiteme)
    Herland by Charlotte Perkins Gilman (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: An upside down recommendation, as this is an "all-women" utopia rather than a dystopia, but a fun read.
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (wosret)
  9. 2010
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (cflorente)
    The Gate to Women's Country by Sheri S. Tepper (lesvrolyk)
    The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood (smiteme)
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (themephi)
    When She Woke by Hillary Jordan (sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: The Handmaid's Tale is the classic forerunner to dystopic fiction of sexist futures. When She Woke picks up the mantel with a more modern version of a misogynistic theocracy taking over government. Both show terrifying futures for the state of women in society.… (more)
    V for Vendetta by Alan Moore (readerbabe1984)
    Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler (sturlington)
    The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin (LamontCranston)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (Schwehnchen, mcenroeucsb)
    The Unit by Ninni Holmqvist (bookcrushblog)
    I Who Have Never Known Men by Jacqueline Harpman (wosret)
    The Chrysalids by John Wyndham (bertilak)

1980s (1)

English (590)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  Swedish (2)  Catalan (2)  Finnish (2)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Norwegian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (609)
This book was a lot scarier than I thought it would be, I have no idea what I would do if this were to ever happen in real life. It is a little difficult to believe that anything like what happens in this book COULD happen but you never know! The main thing I did not like about this book was that it left so many many questions unanswered. I hate that we never know what happened to Luke or her daughter. Was her daughter given to some other Commander and his wife or was she taken somewhere else different entirely? I hate that they don't say exactly who it was that ended up taking over America. What I hate the most is how incomplete the ending is, we have no idea what actually happens to Offred. It is such an unfinished story! I've seen that Hulu is starting a series next year based on this novel, hopefully it will be better! ( )
  KeriLynneD | Sep 20, 2016 |
This is one of those classics that I'm embarrassed to admit that I hadn't read. Blasphemous, I know. Twenty seven years on this earth and I'm JUST NOW getting to this sensationally, classic, and groundbreaking work?!?! I feel like my librarian card would have been revoked had I not gotten to it when I did. I read this book from start to finish in less than 24 hours, so it was good to know that all the hype was true. This book is hard to put down. I was riveted from the get go. This dystopian novel of gender inequality and sex and politics, remains as relevant today as when it was first published three decades ago. I won't do justice summarizing the book. Trust me, just dive right in. You won't regret it. It's timeless and will stay with you long after you finish reading it. ( )
1 vote ecataldi | Sep 14, 2016 |
Haunting, heartbreaking, scarily real.

Having read a lot of dystopian, a lot of scifi... a lot of the plots and facts while possible, require some fantasy based or significant advances in technology for them to occur. Should we give, say the HG to a reader in 5, 10 years, maybe the review of that book would be similar to the following.

This book is on point. Not one thing in this could not realistically happen right now. Having written this book so many years ago and for certain things to be said, its eerie how accurate the author was in her information, her story.

Rarely, do we even know the main characters given name. We know her as a "title" until she is passed on. She hints at a huge loss, and throughout the book, we are given chances to learn more about that loss.... and the pain she feels and her adaptation from it.

The ending of this book is unexpected. Left me wanting more for so many reasons, but accepting that maybe that the way it ended was inevitable. ( )
1 vote Krista_Rainwater | Sep 10, 2016 |
This book borrows the worst stylings of dystopian novels without adding anything new other than a different political worry. Like other poor dystopian fiction, it simply exaggerates ideas of certain elements of current societies/politics/culture becoming much more central and legally embedded. The characters and story are nearly nonexistent, and it is therefore dull.

Some of the setting/atmosphere and theme is interesting, so I almost gave it two stars. Some friend disagree with me strongly about this book, so I accept (as I often do with books), room for error in my opinion of the book. ( )
  valzi | Sep 7, 2016 |
Do you know, I have to say, I didn't like this book very much at all.

I read it in high school, I had to read it, and so perhaps that affected my overall perspective on it. Equally, so many people commented on the fact that I was reading it, and said that I would absolutely love it. And then I didn't.

This book, to me, was bleak, and bitter. I didn't like any of the characters. I didn't get the chance to. They were all just husks of their former selves, reduced to little more than a vehicle for the reader's experience. Except they felt nothing, they were numb, as you would have to be if you were to survive an experience like that.

I have no doubt that a lot of that was intentional on Atwood's part - and it is well-written! - but I didn't enjoy it. There's nothing to like about it.

It's creepy and alarming and arresting because it could so easily be a future we are apart of, and yet it didn't grab me in any way.

Years later, I read The Tent and The Robber Bride by Atwood and absolutely adored them - she's now one of my favourite authors. But this book just didn't do it for me.

I might come back to it in a few years time when I'm ready for it, but in the meantime, if you're not a huge fan of dystopian novels and you haven't read any Atwood, this might not be the best place to start. c: ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
As a cautionary tale, Atwood's novel lacks the direct, chilling plausibility of Nineteen Eighty-Four and Brave New World. It warns against too much: heedless sex, excessive morality, chemical and nuclear pollution. All of these may be worthwhile targets, but such a future seems more complicated than dramatic. But Offred's narrative is fascinating in a way that transcends tense and time: the record of an observant soul struggling against a harsh, mysterious world.
added by Shortride | editTime, Paul Gray (Feb 10, 1986)

How sad for postfeminists that one does not feel for Offred-June half as much as one did for Winston Smith, no hero either but at any rate imaginable. It seems harsh to say again of a poet's novel - so hard to put down, in part so striking - that it lacks imagination, but that, I fear, is the problem.

It's a bleak world that Margaret Atwood opens up for us in her new novel, ''The Handmaid's Tale'' - how bleak and even terrifying we will not fully realize until the story's final pages. But the sensibility through which we view this world is infinitely rich and abundant. And that's why Miss Atwood has succeeded with her anti-Utopian novel where most practitioners of this Orwellian genre have tended to fail.

Atwood, Margaretprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Marcellino, FredCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Martin, ValerieIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pennati, CamilloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sibthorp, FletcherCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And when Rachel saw that she bare Jacob no children, Rachel envied her sister, and said unto Jacob, Give me children, or else I die.

And Jacob's anger was kindled against Rachel, and he said, Am I in God's stead, who hath withheld from thee the fruit of the womb?

And she said, Behold my maid Bihah, go in unto her, and she shall bear upon my knees, that I may also have children by her.
                              — Genesis 30:1-3
But as to myself, having been wearied out for many years with offering vain, idle, visionary thoughts, and at length utterly despairing of success, I fortunately fell upon this proposal. . .
                              — Jonathan Swift, A Modest Proposal
In the desert there is no sign that says, Thou shalt not eat stones.
                              — Sufi proverb
For Mary Webster and Perry Miller
We slept in what had once been the gymnasium.
As all historians know, the past is a great darkness, and filled with echoes. Voices may reach us from it; but what they say to us is imbued with the obscurity of the matrix out of which they come; and, try as we may, we cannot always decipher them precisely in the clearer light of our own day.
Time has not stood still. It has washed over me, washed me away, as if I’m nothing more than a woman of sand, left by a careless child too near the water.
The shell of the egg is smooth but also grained; small pebbles of calcium are defined by the sunlight, like craters on the moon. It's a barren landscape, yet perfect; it's the sort of desert the saints went into, so their minds would not be distracted by profusions. I think that this is what God must look like: an egg. The life of the moon may not be on the surface, but inside.
But remember that forgiveness too is a power. To beg for it is a power, and to withhold or bestow it is a power, perhaps the greatest. Maybe none of this is about control... Maybe it's about who can do what to whom and be forgiven for it. Never tell me it amounts to the same thing.
There is more than one kind of freedom, said Aunt Lydia, freedom to and freedom from. In the days of anarchy, it was freedom to. Now you are being given freedom from. Don't underrate it.
The Reading Guide Edition is the substantial equivalent the main Handmaid's Tale work, with a few additional pages of questions for groups to consider at the back. Please therefore leave these works combined together. Thank you

From the back of the book: Offred is a handmaid in the Republic of Gilead. She may leave the home of the commander and his wife once a day to walk to food market whose signs are now pictures instead of words because women are no longer allowed to read. She must lie on her back once a month and pray that the commander makes her pregnant, because in an age of declining births, Offredd and the other handmaids are valued only if their ovaries are viable. Offredd can remember the years before, when she lived and made love with her husband, Luke, when she played with and protected her daughter, when she had a job, money of her own, and access to knowledge. But all of that is gone now…..

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038549081X, Paperback)

In the world of the near future, who will control women's bodies?

Offred is a Handmaid in the Republic of Gilead. She may leave the home of the Commander and his wife once a day to walk to food markets whose signs are now pictures instead of words because women are no longer allowed to read. She must lie on her back once a month and pray that the Commander makes her pregnant, because in an age of declining births, Offred and the other Handmaids are only valued if their ovaries are viable.

Offred can remember the days before, when she lived and made love with her husband Luke; when she played with and protected her daughter; when she had a job, money of her own, and access to knowledge. But all of that is gone now....

Funny, unexpected, horrifying, and altogether convincing, The Handmaid's Tale is at once scathing satire, dire warning, and tour de force.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:22 -0400)

A look at the near future presents the story of Offred, a Handmaid in the Republic of Gilead, once the United States, an oppressive world where women are no longer allowed to read and are valued only as long as they are viable for reproduction.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,223,528 books! | Top bar: Always visible