Meet Addy: An American Girl by Connie Porter

Meet Addy: An American Girl (1993)

by Connie Porter

Series: American Girls (Addy 1), American Girls: Addy (1)

Easy reading, book was emotional for some children, encouraged children to keep reading further in the series. ( )
  michellehewitt | Aug 30, 2016 |
Of course the concept is important. Every 'american girl' reader should know Addy's story. But the story has already been told so many times in other historical fiction and non-fiction that everyone does know it. At least I do. I didn't learn or feel one new thing from this.

In case I'm wrong, I'll give this three instead of 2 stars, because the author does not sugar-coat the issues. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
In my opinion, this was a great book. One of the reasons I liked this book was because of it's message. Addy is an African-American girl who lives on a plantation with her family. Her father has a plan for them to run away, but Addy's father and older brother are sold to another master. Addy and her mother escape from the plantation and abolitionists transport them to Philadelphia. They stay with a white family and Addy makes friends with their daughter, Sarah. The reader is able to understand the time period in which this story takes place and can connect with their prior knowledge of slavery, plantations, blacks vs. whites, etc. Another reason why I like this book is because of the characters. Addy and Sarah for example are still young and so innocent. They don't realize that people in society at this point in time are against African Americans and White people to make friends with one another. The depiction of these two young characters are relatable to young readers. ( )
  kelseyjenkens | Apr 18, 2016 |
I would definitely use this for upper elementary school students (3-5). It's a chapter book and at a level that they wouldn't have too much difficulty reading through. Since the book is about an African American girl and her family that escape slavery, it would be fairly informative for the readers. Additionally I think it would help students to get a sense of what it would have been like at that time and make that history more relatable to students. ( )
  mbeal | Oct 5, 2011 |
This is a story about a young slaved girl named Addy. This book describes her family’s struggle with slavery. In the end, there determination sets them free.

I really enjoyed this book, and I felt the characters were very life-like. I think this is a great book to help kids understand slavery, and it would be best for 2nd- 6th grade.

In the classroom, I would use this to introduce a lesson on slavery. In this lesson, we would discuss the struggles African Americans faced during the Civil War.
  MrsWeldonlovesbooks | Mar 27, 2011 |

Connie Porterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rosales, MelodyeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my grandmothers, Adele Houston and Mary Jemison Dunn, For the way back to my Addy
Addy Walker woke up late on a summer's night to hear her parents whispering.

This is the first book in the "Addy" series of the American Girls Collection. It introduces Addy Walker, a nine-year-old girl who, in 1864, must leave her family behind when she and her mother escape slavery.

Nine-year-old Addy Walker escapes from a cruel life of slavery to freedom during the Civil War.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,755,162 books! | Top bar: Always visible