The Bastard of Istanbul by Elif Shafak

The Bastard of Istanbul (edition 2007)

by Elif Shafak

912None9,615 (3.62)67
Member:juliehop
Title:The Bastard of Istanbul
Authors:Elif Shafak
Info:Penguin Books Ltd (UK) (2007), Edition: Open market e., Paperback, 360 pages

The Bastard of Istanbul by Elif Şafak

(4) 2007 (4) 2008 (7) 21st century (6) Armenia (29) Armenian (13) Armenian genocide (9) Armenians (18) audiobook (4) ebook (5) family (13) fiction (117) genocide (14) historical fiction (13) history (8) incest (5) Istanbul (51) literature (7) Middle East (6) novel (21) read (4) Roman (10) to-read (23) Turkey (103) Turkish (13) Turkish fiction (8) Turkish Literature (14) unread (5) USA (4) women (12)
    Het sprookje van de laatste gedachte by Edgar Hilsenrath (gust)
    gust: Ook een boek over de Armeense genocide

English (29)  Italian (3)  French (2)  Norwegian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (36)
I picked this book up at the library when I was in a huge rush just looking for something to read; I had no knowledge about the author or the book before. What a wonderful surprise. This is a tremendous story of family, culture, history, political conflict, and intense personal secrets and consequences.

I feel the book is extremely readable (some have commented on what they called an awkward prose style). I especially enjoyed the descriptions of Istanbul in the chapter "Dried Apricots". The book is filled with sadness, yet it has many touches of humor. Logically, the intertwining of the two families may be a stretch, but emotionally it works.

The story may be about the Turkish people and the Armenians; however, it says so much more about the influence of past events on individuals and on entire nations. One can never escape the past even if there is no direct knowledge of it. The book is interesting, entertaining, and thought-provoking.

Highly recommended. Another title set it an entirely different setting but with the similar stuggles, check out Mister Pipand The Septembers of Shiraz ( )
  maryreinert | Aug 17, 2013 |
An intriguing novel by a Turkish woman about Turks and Armenians, about forgetting and remembering.

Shafak’s writing is delightful and unique. This story of hers has a fairy tale quality, just like the tales one of its characters tells. The people in it are very interesting, but hardly realistic, and the plot depends just a bit too much on coincidence. Except for the male and female djinns that accompany one of the women, this tale is not fantasy, but it is fanciful. Such things hardly matter, however because Shafak tells her story so well. She has a light touch and a wry humor which soften her sometimes less than positive accounts of her characters.

Two families’ stories are at the center of this novel, but these are not the stereotypical nuclear families. One is a Turkish family that lives in Istanbul and contains a grandmother, mother and four sisters, each of them strong eccentric women. Men mysteriously die young in the family. The youngest daughter bears a daughter with no father in sight. In the time of the novel, the daughter, Asya is 19. The sisters’ only brother has gone to America where he marries a divorced woman with a young daughter, Arminius. He hasn’t been seen by his family back in Istanbul for 20 years. His wife’s ex-husband is part of a family of strong Armenian women who insist on being a part of this stepdaughter’s upbringing. When she is 19, she goes to Istanbul to recapture her Armenian heritage and stays with her stepfather’s Turkish family. Asya and Arminius become good friends, but slowly old secrets refuse to stay hidden.

Read more on my blog, Me, you and books: http://wp.me/p24OK2-Sk
  mdbrady | Aug 12, 2013 |
I read about 94 pages, and while it was okay, I didn't find myself caring if I found out how it all unfolded. Decided to apply the nancy pearl rule of stopping if not enjoying after 50 pages. ( )
  mawls | Apr 4, 2013 |
Somewhat interesting story. I enjoyed the insight into the culture and the description of the place more.
  kedicat | Sep 29, 2011 |
I'm oddly fascinated by Middle Eastern literature because in a way, I find myself to be a blend of Asya and Armanoush -- my past is a fleeting mystery and yet I feel bound to know and honour what little I know of my hertiage. Except that... I wasn't there, I don't know how to take grasp of it and I can't understand it.

What I loved about the book was that there just seemed to be so much dichotomy that it screamed to me. Between one searching for answers for her heritage but doesn't really seem to know what it is to be Armenian to another who doesn't embrace their heritage because it's something that has been lost to them -- or never really cared in the first place.

And yet while you try to disentangle the assumptions that each person has in the book, you find that their families are so very intertwined that the magical is used to explain how this all occurred.

So at the end, one who fights to hold on to her heritage while another claims to deny the past, you find issue and yet admirably in both. You can't escape the past and you can't escape the heritage that has become you. ( )
  Violina | Jul 30, 2011 |

Populated with vibrant characters, The Bastard of Istanbul is the story of two families, one Turkish and one Armenian American, and their struggle to forge their unique identities against the backdrop of Turkey's violent history. Filled with humor and understanding, this exuberant, dramatic novel is about memory and forgetting, about the tension between the need to examine the past and the desire to erase it.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:42 -0400)

Turkish teen Asya is coming of age under the wing of her tattoo-parlor owner mother and her three aunts, befriending a cousin from America, and discovering a secret that links her family to the 1915 Armenian deportations and massacres.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,412,265 books! | Top bar: Always visible