Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire: The Methods…

Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire: The Methods and Madness Inside Room 56

by Rafe Esquith

5941816,532 (4)14

This book is about always doing better and never settling as a teacher. It discusses the ways we can educate and guide students is better than ever ways. I think it is a great book, not only for teachers, but for anyone who needs/wants some inspiration in their life to aim high. ( )
  Jdean12 | Oct 20, 2016 |
Every teacher should teach with the passion Rafe has. He has great ideas which he implements in his 5th grade classroom. He ties all of the subjects together seamlessly and in real world ways. The students genuinely care about what they are doing because it is relevant to them. Don't be off put if you do not teach 5th grade - his ideas are easily adapted to other grade levels. Definitely worth a read for any teacher, new or experienced! ( )
  TeachesNTennies | Oct 30, 2015 |
Interesting read. Some ideas I can use in my own room, yet other ideas seem very out of reach unless you want to spend every waking minute with students and school. Since I have my own kids to take care of, that is not of interest to me right now. I give him credit for doing some of the amazing things that he does. I'm sure his kids are better for all of his efforts. ( )
  Renee.Brandon | Jul 5, 2014 |
I love this guy's enthusiasm! His ideas are thorough and may require a lot of effort to implement, but teach the students many great skills, and address many problems in the process! ( )
  LaPhenix | Dec 14, 2012 |
I found this book easy to read and it definitely made me think about the value of trust and building strong character in our students, not just strong academics. He is a very dedicated teacher and I admire him for putting his students first. I appreciated all of the positive exemplars that Rafe Esquith shared to show how he creates students with both strong values and academics; however, I would have preferred that the non-exemplars were left out, unless they were his own. We should always assume that all teachers work with best intentions and I grew tired of his criticism of his colleagues and administration. There are many excellent teachers out there, with different beliefs and approaches to learning.
  ydenomy | Aug 25, 2010 |
For the Hobart Shakespeareans, who have been my best teachers . . . and for Barbara

Read Rafe Esquith's posts on the Penguin Blog.

From one of America’s most celebrated educators, an inspiring guide to transforming every child’s education

In a Los Angeles neighborhood plagued by guns, gangs, and drugs, there is an exceptional classroom known as Room 56. The fifth graders inside are first-generation immigrants who live in poverty and speak English as a second language. They also play Vivaldi, perform Shakespeare, score in the top 1 percent on standardized tests, and go on to attend Ivy League universities. Rafe Esquith is the teacher responsible for these accomplishments.

From the man whom The New York Times calls “a genius and a saint” comes a revelatory program for educating today’s youth. In Teach Like Your Hair’s on Fire!, Rafe Esquith reveals the techniques that have made him one of the most acclaimed educators of our time. The two mottoes in Esquith’s classroom are “Be Nice, Work Hard,” and “There Are No Shortcuts.” His students voluntarily come to school at 6:30 in the morning and work until 5:00 in the afternoon. They learn to handle money responsibly, tackle algebra, and travel the country to study history. They pair Hamlet with rock and roll, and read the American classics. Teach Like Your Hair’s on Fire! is a brilliant and inspiring road map for parents, teachers, and anyone who cares about the future success of our nation’s children.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:35 -0400)

In a Los Angeles neighborhood plagued by guns, gangs, and drugs, there is a classroom known as Room 56. The fifth graders inside are first-generation immigrants who live in poverty and speak English as a second language. They also play Vivaldi, perform Shakespeare, score in the top 1% on standardized tests, and go on to attend Ivy League universities. Rafe Esquith is the teacher responsible for these accomplishments. Here, he reveals his techniques. The classroom's mottoes are "Be nice, work hard," and "There are no shortcuts." His students voluntarily come to school at 6:30 in the morning and work until 5:00 in the afternoon. They pair Hamlet with rock and roll, learn to handle money responsibly, tackle algebra, and travel the country to study history. This is an inspiring road map for parents, teachers, and anyone who cares about the future success of our nation's children.--From publisher description.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,691,290 books! | Top bar: Always visible