Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire: The Methods…

Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire: The Methods and Madness Inside Room 56 (edition 2007)

by Rafe Esquith

6532122,956 (4)14
In a Los Angeles neighborhood plagued by guns, gangs, and drugs, there is a classroom known as Room 56. The fifth graders inside are first-generation immigrants who live in poverty and speak English as a second language. They also play Vivaldi, perform Shakespeare, score in the top 1% on standardized tests, and go on to attend Ivy League universities. Rafe Esquith is the teacher responsible for these accomplishments. Here, he reveals his techniques. The classroom's mottoes are "Be nice, work hard," and "There are no shortcuts." His students voluntarily come to school at 6:30 in the morning and work until 5:00 in the afternoon. They pair Hamlet with rock and roll, learn to handle money responsibly, tackle algebra, and travel the country to study history. This is an inspiring road map for parents, teachers, and anyone who cares about the future success of our nation's children.--From publisher description.… (more)
Member:jimcripps
Title:Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire: The Methods and Madness Inside Room 56
Authors:Rafe Esquith
Info:Viking Adult (2007), Hardcover, 256 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:teaching, method, classroom

Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire: The Methods and Madness Inside Room 56 by Rafe Esquith

I had to read this book for my first education course I took in college and I absolutely loved it! This book had so many funny and honest examples of what it is like to teach and working in classrooms now, I have thought of this book many times. Great read overall! ( )
  Claire_Lareau | Oct 28, 2019 |
BRILLIANT ( )
  Tula2 | May 22, 2019 |
I really had a hard time relating to this teacher. I feel he thinks he is better than everyone else. I understand the need to keep down television time, but to be upset that there is a big screen at a sporting event seemed a little stupid to me. He had great seats and those of us that sit in the nose bleed area it is nice to be able to look on the screen and see what we might have missed. He also made a big deal about movies and seemed to think his taste in movies is the best. I really didn't care for some of the choices for movies to show his students were. I did like what he does with giving the students extra time and attention. I guess I just don't understand his other ideas on television and movies. ( )
  LVStrongPuff | Nov 29, 2018 |
This book is about always doing better and never settling as a teacher. It discusses the ways we can educate and guide students is better than ever ways. I think it is a great book, not only for teachers, but for anyone who needs/wants some inspiration in their life to aim high. ( )
  Jdean12 | Oct 20, 2016 |
Every teacher should teach with the passion Rafe has. He has great ideas which he implements in his 5th grade classroom. He ties all of the subjects together seamlessly and in real world ways. The students genuinely care about what they are doing because it is relevant to them. Don't be off put if you do not teach 5th grade - his ideas are easily adapted to other grade levels. Definitely worth a read for any teacher, new or experienced! ( )
  TeachesNTennies | Oct 30, 2015 |
For the Hobart Shakespeareans, who have been my best teachers . . . and for Barbara

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,721,894 books! | Top bar: Always visible