The Dragon Reborn by Robert Jordan

The Dragon Reborn (edition 1992)

by Robert Jordan

Title:The Dragon Reborn
Authors:Robert Jordan (Author)
Info:Tor Fantasy (1992), Mass Market Paperback, 701 pages
Collections:Your library, Our library
Tags:fiction, fantasy, series, wheel of time, book 03, map, mass market paperback, checked, packed, box p

The Dragon Reborn by Robert Jordan

English (71)  Dutch (1)  All languages (72)
This book had a good solid pace with finally some very strong character development with Perrin and Mat. Including Rand, those three are supposed to be "ta'veren", and you know why Rand is, but you never really learn why Perrin or Mat are. Well, before starting this book, you might have some idea as to why Perrin is ta'veren, but not Mat. And to be honest, I'm really not convinced as to why Mat and Perrin are supposed to be ta'veren, but at least I know how. However, in this book, we get a good sense of Mat's unique character abilities, both physically and metaphysically.

I really appreciated that even though Rand is still the central figure in the story, and our "hero", he doesn't have all the point-of-view chapters. Instead, the story is told from everyone else's point-of-view chasing Rand. Or, at least converging on the final city where everyone will eventually be.

Unfortunately, the story is getting a touch formulaic. Thankfully, Robert Jordan addresses this a touch at the end of the book, so hopefully we don't keep rehashing the same story plots over-and-over at the end of the book. But in reality, everything about this story was a lot of fun. Very few chapters kept me bored. Granted, I struggled recalling Min's vision about Perrin and the "falcon", so I had to pull that up online to recall it. I've heard Jordan does this a lot, referring to old characters and scenes from prior books, which is going to make it difficult knowing what to pay attention to and what not to.

Regardless, it was a great read and I'm looking forward to the 4th book. ( )
  atoponce | Oct 7, 2016 |
I just love this series! I'd be hard pressed to find one better. The characters are great and even the ones you don't much care for grow on you :) Nynaeve is still my favorite character. I just love how strong and stubborn and completely bad a** she is!! I found it a bit weird that Rand wasn't in this one more. It didn't really bother me but you'd just think he'd have been a bigger focus in it. I absolutely can not wait to get the next one. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
great book. wish the aes sedai werent such bitches to mat though ( )
  thefamousmoe | May 1, 2016 |
Once again, I have nothing but good things to say about Wheel of Time so far.

The story has a good pace for such a long book, and I liked how it took the focus off Rand's story line. It made it all the more epic when he faced The Dark One in the end. The only thing that bothers me a tiny little bit is that the 3 girls and Mat keep holding on to their foolish ideas of men and women, and how they should behave. Come on people, you have seen Forsaken and Fades and all that, stop being so pedantic!!

I am looking forward to picking up the next one!
  bartt95 | Apr 10, 2016 |
Rating the series as a whole, because I can't remember them individually without reading them again. Originally read the early ones in 2007, then the whole series in 2009.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |

Nielsen, Matthew C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And his paths shall be many, and who shall know his name, for he shall be born among us many times, in many guises, as he has been and ever will be, time without end. His coming shall be like the sharp edge of the plow, turning our lives in furrows from our of the places where we lie in our silence, The breaker of bonds; the forger of chains. The maker of futures; the unshaper of destiny.

--from Commentaries on the Prophecies of the Dragon,
by Jurith Doine, Right Hand to the Queen of Almoren,
742 AB, the Third Age
And it was written that no hand by his should wield the Sword held in the Stone, but he did draw it out, like fire in his hand, and his glory did burn the world. Thus did it begin. Thus do we sing his Rebirth. Thus do we sing the beginning.

--from Do'in Toldara te, Songs of the Last Age, Quarto Nine: The Legend of the Dragon Composed by Boanne, Songmistress at Taralan, the Fourth Age
Dedicated to
James Oliver Rigney, Sr.

He taught me always to follow the dream, and when I caught it, to live it.
Pedron Niall's aged gaze wandered about his private audience chamber, but dark eyes hazed with thought saw nothing.
The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend.

The Dragon Reborn--the leader long prophesied who will save the world, but in the saving destroy it; the savior who will run mad and kill all those dearest to him--is on the run from his destiny. Able to touch the One Power, but unable to control it, and with no one to teach him how--for no man has done it in three thousand years--Rand al'Thor knows only that he must face the Dark One. But how? Winter has stopped the war-almost-yet men are dying, calling out for the Dragon. But where is he? Perrin Aybara is in pursuit with Moiraine Sedai, her Warder Lan, and the Loial the Ogier. Bedeviled by dreams, Perrin is grappling with another deadly problem--how is he to escape the loss of his own humanity. Egwene, Elayne and Nynaeve are approaching Tar Valon, where Mat will be healed--if he lives until they arrive. But who will tell the Amyrlin their news--that the Black Ajah, long thought only a hideous rumor, is all too real? They cannot know that in Tar Valon far worse awaits.. Ahead, for all of them, in the Heart of the Stone, lies the next great test of the Dragon reborn....

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812513711, Mass Market Paperback)

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow.

Rand Al'Thor is the Dragon Reborn-- able to touch the One Power, but unable to control it. Rand knows only that he must face the Dark One in a battle to the death. Ahead of him lies the next great test for...

The Dragon Reborn

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:47 -0400)

Rand Al'Thor is the Dragon Reborn, the leader who will save the world but in the process destroy it. He is able to touch the One Power but cannot control it. He knows only that he must face the Dark One in a battle to the death.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,787,480 books! | Top bar: Always visible