The Dragon Reborn by Robert Jordan

The Dragon Reborn (edition 1992)

by Robert Jordan

Member:lkmiller
Title:The Dragon Reborn
Authors:Robert Jordan (Author)
Info:Tor Fantasy (1992), Mass Market Paperback, 701 pages
Collections:Your library, Our library
Tags:fiction, fantasy, series, wheel of time, book 03, map, mass market paperback, checked

The Dragon Reborn by Robert Jordan

English (70)  Dutch (1)  All languages (71)
I just love this series! I'd be hard pressed to find one better. The characters are great and even the ones you don't much care for grow on you :) Nynaeve is still my favorite character. I just love how strong and stubborn and completely bad a** she is!! I found it a bit weird that Rand wasn't in this one more. It didn't really bother me but you'd just think he'd have been a bigger focus in it. I absolutely can not wait to get the next one. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
great book. wish the aes sedai werent such bitches to mat though ( )
  thefamousmoe | May 1, 2016 |
Once again, I have nothing but good things to say about Wheel of Time so far.

The story has a good pace for such a long book, and I liked how it took the focus off Rand's story line. It made it all the more epic when he faced The Dark One in the end. The only thing that bothers me a tiny little bit is that the 3 girls and Mat keep holding on to their foolish ideas of men and women, and how they should behave. Come on people, you have seen Forsaken and Fades and all that, stop being so pedantic!!

I am looking forward to picking up the next one!
  bartt95 | Apr 10, 2016 |
Rating the series as a whole, because I can't remember them individually without reading them again. Originally read the early ones in 2007, then the whole series in 2009.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
I love that this book is called "The Dragon Reborn," and yet the Dragon Reborn spends most of the time behind the curtain. We get very few glimpses inside his head—and most of them are creepy, by the way—and he spends all of his time alone.

I think this technique is a cool way of showcasing what the Dragon Reborn means for the world. Everyone, no matter who they are or where they are from, is affected by Rand, either because of his ta'verenness or because of his fame as the Dragon. He changes the world simply by existing, despite his stubborn resolve to not be controlled.

I loved all of the Mat and Perrin time this book gave us. Mat is supremely awesome once he is free of that bloody dagger. We all love a good hero, especially if he's a bit of a rascal. I love that he beats Gawyn and Galad single-handedly after getting off his death bed. Good times. He provides some of the few laugh-out-loud moments we see in WoT. His telling Darlin that he wouldn't like to be skinned alive (or something to that effect) caught me by surprise, and I also enjoyed Thom's advice to Mat to "try not to eat the table." Those two are fun together. Thom is basically a older and "wiser" Mat, though his young mannishness hasn't entirely been stamped out of him. He can still kick butt.

Perrin has always been one of my favorite characters, though he bugged me a little bit more this read-through. So you can talk to wolves—not the end of the world. It's even a bit cool. And who wouldn't want to have superpower vision and strength? Yeah, I'm losing patience with his focus of stubbornness. I did enjoy the blacksmith segments though. Even after all that he goes through, I think that Perrin could be happy returning to being a simple blacksmith. Wealth, status, and adventure don't get to his head quite like they do with Mat and Rand.

Now for the girls. Not women—girls. I have been a fan of Nynaeve and Egwene from the beginning, and Elayne is great in the first few books. But this time, I wanted to smack Nynaeve and Egwene upside the head almost every time their names came on the page. Why can't they just grow up? Especially Egwene—stop being a teenager already. I admire their strength and independence, but they both needed a few more slaps fro Elayne.

The short chapters were a nice change. The pacing was actually really good too—everyone got just the right amount of screen time before we started to get bored with them. I got through this book faster than I probably ever have gotten through a WoT book.

On everything else—Perrin finds his soul-mate, Avienda and the other famous Aiel show up, and the Forsaken try to take over the world. Let the thick and irrelevant plotlines begin. Everything comes full circle in this novel, but we probably won't see all of these characters together again until the Last Battle. ( )
  AngelClaw | Feb 2, 2016 |

Nielsen, Matthew C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And his paths shall be many, and who shall know his name, for he shall be born among us many times, in many guises, as he has been and ever will be, time without end. His coming shall be like the sharp edge of the plow, turning our lives in furrows from our of the places where we lie in our silence, The breaker of bonds; the forger of chains. The maker of futures; the unshaper of destiny.

--from Commentaries on the Prophecies of the Dragon,
by Jurith Doine, Right Hand to the Queen of Almoren,
742 AB, the Third Age
And it was written that no hand by his should wield the Sword held in the Stone, but he did draw it out, like fire in his hand, and his glory did burn the world. Thus did it begin. Thus do we sing his Rebirth. Thus do we sing the beginning.

--from Do'in Toldara te, Songs of the Last Age, Quarto Nine: The Legend of the Dragon Composed by Boanne, Songmistress at Taralan, the Fourth Age
Dedicated to
James Oliver Rigney, Sr.
(1920-1988)

He taught me always to follow the dream, and when I caught it, to live it.
Pedron Niall's aged gaze wandered about his private audience chamber, but dark eyes hazed with thought saw nothing.
The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend.

The Dragon Reborn--the leader long prophesied who will save the world, but in the saving destroy it; the savior who will run mad and kill all those dearest to him--is on the run from his destiny. Able to touch the One Power, but unable to control it, and with no one to teach him how--for no man has done it in three thousand years--Rand al'Thor knows only that he must face the Dark One. But how? Winter has stopped the war-almost-yet men are dying, calling out for the Dragon. But where is he? Perrin Aybara is in pursuit with Moiraine Sedai, her Warder Lan, and the Loial the Ogier. Bedeviled by dreams, Perrin is grappling with another deadly problem--how is he to escape the loss of his own humanity. Egwene, Elayne and Nynaeve are approaching Tar Valon, where Mat will be healed--if he lives until they arrive. But who will tell the Amyrlin their news--that the Black Ajah, long thought only a hideous rumor, is all too real? They cannot know that in Tar Valon far worse awaits.. Ahead, for all of them, in the Heart of the Stone, lies the next great test of the Dragon reborn....

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812513711, Mass Market Paperback)

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow.

Rand Al'Thor is the Dragon Reborn-- able to touch the One Power, but unable to control it. Rand knows only that he must face the Dark One in a battle to the death. Ahead of him lies the next great test for...

The Dragon Reborn

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:47 -0400)

Rand Al'Thor is the Dragon Reborn, the leader who will save the world but in the process destroy it. He is able to touch the One Power but cannot control it. He knows only that he must face the Dark One in a battle to the death.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,877,145 books! | Top bar: Always visible