The Dragon Reborn by Robert Jordan

The Dragon Reborn (edition 1992)

by Robert Jordan

7,81961429 (3.97)68
Member:Barton101
Title:The Dragon Reborn
Authors:Robert Jordan
Info:Tor (1992), Edition: First Edition, Paperback

The Dragon Reborn by Robert Jordan

English (60)  Dutch (1)  All languages (61)
It was good, but not as satisfying as the others. I'm sure that has to do with the fact that, being the third book in a very long series, it is a part of the rising action of the series, so it can have no real resolution at the end. I found the characters' separation from each other and Rand's almost total disappearance from most of the story to be dissatisfying. Everyone seemed so unhappy and dispirited. Even the three girls, who did stay together, are experiencing conflict within their relationships, which adds to the sense of isolation in the book. Well, on to Book Four! ( )
  darcy36 | Jul 8, 2014 |
well the book is seeming alot like king arthur...sword in the stone? character development for mat was really good. I'm begining to like him. The three girls Egwene, Nynaeve, and Elayne are quite irritating to read about. The pace is somewhat slow at times and i find myelf nodding off.
  seaofsorrow | May 20, 2014 |
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

In The Dragon Reborn, Rand finally starts to discover his new talents. Unfortunately, we don't get to watch that happen. We only see a few glimpses of him learning to use his power. It makes me wonder if it was just easier for Jordan to show us the newly developed Rand rather than to explain how he got that way.

A couple of times here (and in later books) we're told that Rand doesn't really know how he wields the power -- he just does. In fact, this also happens with the girls from his village (Egwene and Nynaeve) who are learning to be Aes Sedai, and with their friend, princess Elayne. They supposedly are the most powerful women in years, but they don't really understand how they do it or how and why they are more powerful. If you appreciate a well-developed, creative, and well-explained magic system (e.g. Lois McMaster Bujold or Janny Wurts), you might find this disappointing.

But still, if you can ignore the unexplained magic, reminders of what has happened previously, and all of the braid tugging, sniffing, blushing, brooding, dress smoothing, and fishing metaphors, The Dragon Reborn is an entertaining adventure. It's one of the better books in the series because it actually manages to advance the plot and introduce some interesting new characters (for example, the Aiel). (Not Faile -- I can't stand her). My four stars here is somewhat generous and is based on my fondness for many of these characters. Someone who does not already like them will neither come to like them in this book, nor find any other value in reading it -- don't bother.

I listened to this on audiobook, and the readers, Michael Kramer and Kate Reading, are excellent -- they are some of the better audiobook readers around and Audio Renaissance always makes a good production. Read more Robert Jordan book reviews at Fantasy literature. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Definitely my favorite of the first three books - primarily because it focuses on the other characters in the book - Mat, Perrin/Faile, the three Accepted, and sprinkles in a bit of Moraine/Lan/Loial throughout. The simpering character of Rand appears in the beginning and the end of the book (thankfully). Not a bad book, overall, though I know the next books will change their focus to Rand... ( )
  TommyElf | Jan 5, 2014 |
Continuing through my re-read of the first half the Wheel of Time series, I've finally finished up The Dragon Reborn (vol 3). Yes I'm moving pretty slow through these, but this is normally my slow reading half of the year…just too many other things going on. I'd still like to finish the entire series this year, but at this pace, that may not happen.

On to the book. This book in my mind, was more of a travel book. Getting the players from one spot to another, without a whole ton going on. There was plenty of character development going on though. We see Rand grow to accept who he is, Matt and Perrin are becoming more independent and growing into their roles, with some hesitancy, but moving on nonetheless. The girls, are still annoying me, but they always did and if I recall from my first read years ago, will still for some time. They are though moving into position for some upcoming conflict. So even though there was not a ton of action in between the travel, I still found this an enjoyable read. For me, Jordan's books didn't start to get tedious for a few more yet, so I am really looking forward to jumping right into book 4 here soon. ( )
  harpua | Jul 21, 2013 |

Kramer, MichaelReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, Matthew C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And his paths shall be many, and who shall know his name, for he shall be born among us many times, in many guises, as he has been and ever will be, time without end. His coming shall be like the sharp edge of the plow, turning our lives in furrows from our of the places where we lie in our silence, The breaker of bonds; the forger of chains. The maker of futures; the unshaper of destiny.

--from Commentaries on the Prophecies of the Dragon,
by Jurith Doine, Right Hand to the Queen of Almoren,
742 AB, the Third Age
And it was written that no hand by his should wield the Sword held in the Stone, but he did draw it out, like fire in his hand, and his glory did burn the world. Thus did it begin. Thus do we sing his Rebirth. Thus do we sing the beginning.

--from Do'in Toldara te, Songs of the Last Age, Quarto Nine: The Legend of the Dragon Composed by Boanne, Songmistress at Taralan, the Fourth Age
Dedicated to
James Oliver Rigney, Sr.
(1920-1988)

He taught me always to follow the dream, and when I caught it, to live it.
Pedron Niall's aged gaze wandered about his private audience chamber, but dark eyes hazed with thought saw nothing.
The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend.

The Dragon Reborn--the leader long prophesied who will save the world, but in the saving destroy it; the savior who will run mad and kill all those dearest to him--is on the run from his destiny. Able to touch the One Power, but unable to control it, and with no one to teach him how--for no man has done it in three thousand years--Rand al'Thor knows only that he must face the Dark One. But how? Winter has stopped the war-almost-yet men are dying, calling out for the Dragon. But where is he? Perrin Aybara is in pursuit with Moiraine Sedai, her Warder Lan, and the Loial the Ogier. Bedeviled by dreams, Perrin is grappling with another deadly problem--how is he to escape the loss of his own humanity. Egwene, Elayne and Nynaeve are approaching Tar Valon, where Mat will be healed--if he lives until they arrive. But who will tell the Amyrlin their news--that the Black Ajah, long thought only a hideous rumor, is all too real? They cannot know that in Tar Valon far worse awaits.. Ahead, for all of them, in the Heart of the Stone, lies the next great test of the Dragon reborn....

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812513711, Mass Market Paperback)

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow.

Rand Al'Thor is the Dragon Reborn-- able to touch the One Power, but unable to control it. Rand knows only that he must face the Dark One in a battle to the death. Ahead of him lies the next great test for...

The Dragon Reborn

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:13 -0400)

Rand Al "Thor" is the Dragon Reborn-able to touch the One Power, but unable to control it. Rand knows only that he must face the Dark One in battle to the death. Ahead of him lies the next great test for...THE DRAGON REBORN.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,343,009 books! | Top bar: Always visible