Gratitude by Oliver Sacks

Gratitude (original 2015; edition 2015)

by Oliver Sacks (Author)

Member:chwiggy
Title:Gratitude
Authors:Oliver Sacks (Author)
Info:Knopf (2015), Edition: 1, 66 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:aging, Death, Biography, non fiction

Gratitude by Oliver Sacks (2015)

Recently added byprivate library, yellowdog101, buffygurl, vnfc, eriksays, geophile, booksbound2plz, RhodestoRome

English (22)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (24)
Ti riappacifica col mondo ( )
  lucaconti | Jan 24, 2019 |
Four essays as he faces death in gratitude for a life lived well. They are short and to the point. ( )
  ajlewis2 | Jul 11, 2018 |
Gratitude. Oliver Sacks. 2015. I found this book on a list from Book Riot within minutes of getting an email from a friend who just found out that one of her best friends had died. As soon as I read the blub I ordered a copy for her and for me. Four beautifully written essays by Oliver Sacks in which he sensibly and gently examines his life and his approaching death. No sentimentality, no sense of God, but a strong sense of living a good life and an honest look at its ending. ( )
  judithrs | Apr 5, 2018 |
Very short work. An interesting perspective on his own life and death from a talented gay, Jewish doctor and author. Sacks felt satisfied with what he had achieved in his life - but what if you are facing death and you feel you have achieved nothing?. ( )
  oldblack | Feb 2, 2018 |
Loved this short book of essays. Reflections from Oliver Sacks on his longevity and terminal cancer diagnosis. More uplifting than dismal. ( )
  bostonterrio | Nov 21, 2017 |

Oliver Sacksprimary authorall editionscalculated
Edgar, KatePrefacesecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hayes, BillPrefacesecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Woren, DanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am now face to face with dying, but I am not finished with living.
Last night I dreamed about mercury—huge, shining globules of quicksilver rising and falling.

“My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved. I have been given much and I have given something in return. Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and adventure.”
—Oliver Sacks

No writer has succeeded in capturing the medical and human drama of illness as honestly and as eloquently as Oliver Sacks.

During the last few months of his life, he wrote a set of essays in which he movingly explored his feelings about completing a life and coming to terms with his own death.

“It is the fate of every human being,” Sacks writes, “to be a unique individual, to find his own path, to live his own life, to die his own death.”

Together, these four essays form an ode to the uniqueness of each human being and to gratitude for the gift of life.

“Oliver Sacks was like no other clinician, or writer. He was drawn to the homes of the sick, the institutions of the most frail and disabled, the company of the unusual and the ‘abnormal.’ He wanted to see humanity in its many variants and to do so in his own, almost anachronistic way—face to face, over time, away from our burgeoning apparatus of computers and algorithms. And, through his writing, he showed us what he saw.”
—Atul Gawande, author of Being Mortal

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 28 Oct 2015 12:39:59 -0400)

"In July 2013, Oliver Sacks turned eighty and wrote [a] ... piece in The New York Times about the prospect of old age and the freedom he envisioned for himself in binding together the thoughts and feelings of a lifetime. Eighteen months later, he was given a diagnosis of terminal cancer--which he announced publically in another piece in The New York Times. Gratitude is Sacks's meditation on why life [continued] to enthrall him even as he [faced] the all-too-close presence of his own death, and how to live out the months that [remained] in the richest and deepest way possible"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,422,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible