Leonardo, the Terrible Monster by Mo Willems

Leonardo, the Terrible Monster (2005)

by Mo Willems

8209111,078 (4.33)17

Amazing book with fun illustrations and design to the pages. This book teaches the value of friendship and being yourself, even if you are different that who society tells you to be. I loved both the message and the aesthetics of this book. Mo Willems is amazing! ( )
  alaina.loescher | Apr 25, 2015 |
Omigoodness this was so adorable - funny, touching, not sappy. I loved the expressions and the body language of Leonardo. I loved the spread of him doing research. I love the font and the page design. I love the colors. And, of course, I loved the ending. You know what? It might not be the most momentous book ever, but I loved everything about it and disliked nothing, so I think I just have to give it the full five stars! ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
The book Leonardo the Terrible Monster by Mo Willems is a very cute picture book. After reading the book, I took away two central messages. The first is that it is better to be a friend than a scary enemy. The second one is that you should never try and be someone you are not. Leonardo is a small monster who tries vey hard to scare people, but never can. Finally, Leonardo decides that he is going to find “the most scardey-cat kid in the whole word”. When Leonardo does find that kid, he makes him cry and immediately feels bad. Leonardo quickly befriends the young boy and realizes how great being a good friend is.
The writing in the book does a great job of bringing in the writers attention and holding it. Any child would be engaged in the book and would want to finish it. The illustrations were done beautifully and they greatly enhanced your reading experience. They showed the different emotions and helped to give the reader a better understanding about what was going on in the story.
  akern3 | Mar 2, 2015 |
This book tell the story of Leonardo, a monster who just is not very good at scaring people. He spends the first part of the story struggling to be a good monster. He then finds a very sad little boy and makes him cry. He is so happy he finally was able to scare someone. He then talks to the little boy and finds he was just having a very bad day and he feels badly. They become friends. I enjoyed the pictures in this book very much. The illustrator did a wonderful job showing emotion in the faces of the characters. It also had a very good message, you never know what someone else is going through so you should always be kind to others. This is a great message for children to see. ( )
  pnieme1 | Mar 2, 2015 |
I liked “Leonardo the Terrible Monster”, the central message of which was that it is better to be a friend than to be terribly scary. I liked the book for its humorous language, e.g., “He would find the most scaredy-cat kid in the whole world, and scare the tuna salad out of him!” Additionally, the writing of the book was well-paced; the sequence of events by which Leonardo went from being a terrible monster to a good friend to Sam, “the most scaredy-cat kid in the whole world”, flowed well. The writing in the book would be successful in engaging any reader, as it is fun, entertaining, and delivers a message to which any child can relate, which is being a friend. Lastly, I loved the illustrations that accompanied the text. I felt they greatly enhanced the story by accurately depicting a terrible monster who was not scary, as well as a “scaredy-cat kid” who cried over a multitude of things. In addition, I felt that the illustrations aided in building up the suspense of Leonardo researching whom to scare, and the actual scare taking place. I would love to have this book in my future classroom library. I feel that it succeeds in being both fun and entertaining, as well as delivering a great message, which is choosing to be a friend. ( )
  kkadal1 | Feb 27, 2015 |
Information from the Portuguese (Portugal) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
FOR THE TRIXTER, MY OWN LITTLE MONSTER

Leonardo is truly a terrible monster-terrible at being a monster that is. No matter how hard he tries, he can't seem to frighten anyone. Determined to succeed, Leonardo sets himself to training and research. Finally, he finds a nervous little boy, and scares the tuna salad out of him! But scaring people isn't quite as satisfying as he thought it would be. Leonardo realizes that he might be a terrible, awful monster-but he could be a really good friend.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:31 -0400)

Leonardo is a terrible monster -- he can't seem to frighten anyone. When he discovers the perfect nervous little boy, will he scare the lunch out of him? Or will he think of something better?

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,747,644 books! | Top bar: Always visible