Leonardo, the Terrible Monster by Mo Willems

Leonardo, the Terrible Monster (2005)

by Mo Willems

I liked “Leonardo the Terrible Monster”, the central message of which was that it is better to be a friend than to be terribly scary. I liked the book for its humorous language, e.g., “He would find the most scaredy-cat kid in the whole world, and scare the tuna salad out of him!” Additionally, the writing of the book was well-paced; the sequence of events by which Leonardo went from being a terrible monster to a good friend to Sam, “the most scaredy-cat kid in the whole world”, flowed well. The writing in the book would be successful in engaging any reader, as it is fun, entertaining, and delivers a message to which any child can relate, which is being a friend. Lastly, I loved the illustrations that accompanied the text. I felt they greatly enhanced the story by accurately depicting a terrible monster who was not scary, as well as a “scaredy-cat kid” who cried over a multitude of things. In addition, I felt that the illustrations aided in building up the suspense of Leonardo researching whom to scare, and the actual scare taking place. I would love to have this book in my future classroom library. I feel that it succeeds in being both fun and entertaining, as well as delivering a great message, which is choosing to be a friend. ( )
  kkadal1 | Feb 27, 2015 |
I had mixed feelings about this book after reading it. I liked the book because it showed a monster, Leonardo, trying hard to achieve it's goal, to frighten someone, despite it's cute appearance. But I didn't like how he handled the situation with the boy he tried to scare. The monster found a scared little boy whom he could likely "scare the tuna salad" out of. Once the little boy reacted and told Leonardo the monster what a bad day he had, the monster decided to become his friend. Neither of these characters were very well-developed, nor were they very believable. The big idea of this story seemed to be that friendship cures all hardships, but the way these two characters began their friendships was not something hat should be modeled to children. When they two hug at the end, the little boy does not even seem to want to befriend the monster. The illustrations however did make the story more enjoyable. When the little boy explodes with emotion saying why he was so sad, the words filled the entire background of the page with a very large font. This made it seem like the boy was rally screaming and upset! The variety of font size and distribution on the page made this a fun read. ( )
  kwhite18 | Feb 23, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book because of how fun and easy it was to read. It could teach children about emotions, friendship and confidence. The monster in the story is sad that he can't scare anybody, but he realizes he doesn't need to be able to scare people in order to be happy. The little boy in the story befriends the moster regardless of how he looks. Also the little boy talks about all of the problems he had that day that could very much relate to the problems of a young child such as a fight with a sibling or loosing in a game or simply a tummy ache. This book could teach children that it is okay when things go wrong because soon the problem will go away and everything will be alright again. This book is filled with so many small lessons in such short text and large font. Its great for young children and fun to read. ( )
  evandy1 | Feb 9, 2015 |
In my opinion, this is a fantastic book to have as a part of your library. The young boy in this story is relatable to many young children when he tells Leonardo, the terrible monster about the struggles and events going on in his life. For example, not having friends or being picked on by his older sibling, many children can relate to his struggles and empathize with the character. The author did a great job with constructing short, but to the point sentences to narrate the story. I also like how the author would put emphasis on a particular word in the story by making the word a different color, size or font; these are great text cues for young children beginning to read. Finally, this story communicates a great message to readers, that when someone is having a tough time, you many not be able to help them but you can always be there for them, by being their friend.
  mtrail3 | Feb 9, 2015 |
Leonardo the Terrible Monster
I have recently read the book entitled Leonardo the Terrible Monster by Mo Williams. It was about a small monster named Leonardo is terrible at scaring people so he as an idea to scare the most timid child he can find. Then he finds Sam and tries to scare him, but when Leonardo final believes he has scared Sam he finds out that Sam was actually upset about a lot of different things that don’t involve Leonardo. Then Leonardo decides to stop trying to be a scary monster and become a friend to Sam.
When reading this book there were many things I liked about the book. I thought the story was very good and could be read to children in many different grades. Also the stories message that it is better help people than scare them. Another thing I liked about the book was the illustrations. I liked that they fight the story and they were very pleasing to the reader’s eye. Lastly I believe that this book can easily be read by any school age student. That is my opinion about the book Leonardo the Terrible Monster. ( )
  Ekelle8 | Feb 9, 2015 |
Information from the Portuguese (Portugal) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
FOR THE TRIXTER, MY OWN LITTLE MONSTER

Leonardo is truly a terrible monster-terrible at being a monster that is. No matter how hard he tries, he can't seem to frighten anyone. Determined to succeed, Leonardo sets himself to training and research. Finally, he finds a nervous little boy, and scares the tuna salad out of him! But scaring people isn't quite as satisfying as he thought it would be. Leonardo realizes that he might be a terrible, awful monster-but he could be a really good friend.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:31 -0400)

Leonardo is a terrible monster -- he can't seem to frighten anyone. When he discovers the perfect nervous little boy, will he scare the lunch out of him? Or will he think of something better?

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,770,403 books! | Top bar: Always visible