Mudd's Enterprise by J. A. Lawrence

This isn't high literature by any means, but as a non-Star Trek sci-fi fan, I found the stories nicely thought out and well written. If I was more sensitive to that kind of thing, the objectification of the ladies might get to me a bit, but somehow in the context of Mudd, I didn't mind. Also, J.A. Lawrence is a woman, the widow of James Blish, another Star Trek novelist. Sometimes the characterizations were hammered in a little too hard (Spock's raised eyebrow, Scotty's accent, McCoy's bickering), but overall the book lives up to its cover.

[full review here: http://spacebeer.blogspot.com/2011/12/mudds-angels-by-ja-lawrence-1978.html ] ( )
  kristykay22 | Dec 22, 2011 |
It's Star Trek and Mudd...what more need be said?
  dragonasbreath | Oct 5, 2011 |
Mudd's Angels has the novelization of two TOS episodes (Mudd's Women and I, Mudd) plus an original short story by JA Lawrence. Personally, though I don't mind I, Mudd, Mudd's Women is one of my least favorite TOS episodes, so the novelizations were a bit hard to get through. The short story was okay, but I didn't feel that it fit well into the Star Trek universe. ( )
  391 | Apr 20, 2010 |
The first two stories are adaptations of the two Star Trek episodes featuring con artist Harry Mudd. The last novella is a fun little story in which Mudd has rendered the Federation helpless by cornering the market on dilithium, then leading the Enterprise on a merry chase which inadvertently throws them outside the galaxy. They eventually make their way back home, successful, and a neat little story that exploits the full measure of Mudd's capricious personality ends well. ( )
  burnit99 | Feb 4, 2007 |
Dedicated to the Memory of James Blish
Prologue:

Once the Mudd affair was straightened out for good and all—insofar as anyone can be sure it was straightened out—the Scientific Advisory Board demanded an explanation of it, and Starfleet Command so ordered us.
Clearly, the moving light on the Enterprise screen was not a star.

Based on the wildly popular television show and blockbuster films, here is another in the series of original bestselling Star Trek novels from Bantam books

Captain's Log, Stardate 6237.6

Responding to a top-priority message from Star Fleet Command three days ago, the USS Enterprise began a systematic investigation of all dilithium-producing planets to determine why scheduled deliveries to Starbase fueling depots were not being made.

The answer: a new consortium of companies has been outbidding not only Federation but Romulan and Klingon representatives as well for the precious crystals, resulting in a virtual paralysis of the galactic economy.

The madness behind this method is obvious: a monopoly on the most valuable fuel source in the Universe guarantees unlimited wealth and power.

And the man behind this madness? None other than our old friend, Harry Mudd.

An adaptation from the TV episode.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:53 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,419,769 books! | Top bar: Always visible