What we find by Robyn Carr

What we find (edition 2016)

by Robyn Carr

Member:trcovell
Title:What we find
Authors:Robyn Carr
Info:Don Mills, Ontario : Mira, [2016]

What We Find by Robyn Carr

This is the first in a new series for Robyn Carr and I could not be more excited. It is a really, really strong start with great multi-dimensional characters, fully developed, an interesting story line with a lot of room to grow in the series. Something Carr does exceptionally well that I crave in a book, and absolutely need if I'm going to invest in a series, is location as a character. She's done just that in Sullivan's crossing in wilderness of Colorado. Highly recommended, and looking forward to the rest of the series! ( )
  CMDH5 | May 3, 2017 |
Let’s face it, this book has a GORGEOUS dust cover jacket! Inside the cover, instead of plain white paper that holds the printed pages together, this book has an extremely bright yellow paper, so it was like reading with sunshine peeking through! This story does take place during the late spring and all through summer, so it is a nice time of year to read this right now because it’s currently summer (as I write read this and am writing this!) so we can relate to it right now. I had a really good laugh when the author wrote into the story that the state of Michigan ‘invented’ winter! LOL! That IS where I am from! I guess I need to find out from her why she feels that way! I would think that Colorado, where this book takes place along the huge hiking trail would be ‘the’ place that invented winter being they had avalanches in the mountains near the crossing, etc.! Perhaps the author knows this area, and she does know it well! The character, Cal, during a period in his life is working in Detroit and living in Grosse Pointe, truly a very affluent area to live, giving people a very easy and close commute to work in Detroit, but a completely different city. The same thing would apply for his wife when she was alive, giving her easy access to her profession.
Maggie, the main character in this series, comes back home to a place called Sullivan’s Crossing, a place her grandfather’s and father made for hikers, campers, anyone who wanted to stay, to recharge, shower, shop, stay in a cabin for a day, or a week! Many people use this place to get on and start to hike on the Colorado Trail, or to continue their hike. This place can be used for so many things, it’s an ideal place for some rest and relaxation, and this is why Maggie came back home here, to be with her father, Sully, for a while. Maggie needs a change of pace and time to reflect on her life at the moment, and perhaps even escape it a little bit. She is being sued at work for no reason as the surgery she performed was textbook, however, the patient did not make it, so the family filed a lawsuit against her as she is a Neurosurgeon. She has lost her surgical practice, and a human life - her own pregnancy through miscarriage, and this, perhaps, is most likely why she needs some time to herself. This was devastating to her, at age 37 she feels this accident was meant to be because she keeps getting older and the chance for her current relationship is only a dead-end in her opinion because who wants to be with a complete Mommy’s boy? I have to agree with her there. Maggie needs time to reflect on her own life and not others but she doesn’t quite get that chance. As it turns out, it happened to be the perfect time to come home because her father, whom she calls by his first name of Sully like everyone else does, suffers a heart attack. Thankfully, Maggie is right there with Sully throughout his recovery and is a huge help for him. She most likely has extended his life as well by changing everything about him, such as his complete diet! He’s not so cheery about that but he is listening and proving he will stick to this healthier diet! This is a major positive step for Sully, for once. While there, she also meets a new man she finds herself very attracted to, and he is just as attracted to her. He goes by the name of Cal and is expecting to hike out onto the trail once the weather conditions turn warmer so he doesn’t end up dying in an avalanche of snow, so while waiting he starts to help Sully with work that needs to be done around the camp. Maggie and Cal have a fun, flirty relationship at first, and they do end up getting closer. It’s all those late night campfires! All things come to an end, and Cal does go on his planned hike. Maggie doesn’t think she’ll ever see him again. The matter of the lawsuit/trial rears it’s ugly head, she gets deposed and more. I didn’t like that part, but who does unless you love the law?
At first I had a very difficult time getting started reading this book. I felt like I could not get into it, and I was not looking forward to reading it, either. It was work. However, at around page 45, 47, 50, that I noticed the pace started to pick up quicker. I started to get much more invested into the story, and I really was looking forward to picking the book back up again after having to put it down! After that, I was hooked into the story! I do believe this author can have a good series here. This book focused mostly on Maggie, Cal and her father Sully, in addition to the lay of the land and how Sullivan’s Crossing works, the hiking trails, etc. The interesting thing is the secondary characters got as much attention as did Maggie, the main character, but I believe that may just be the set-up for this new series, and I do believe this author has several volumes planned, or else I don’t think she would have spent so much time setting the stage as she did. We would need all of the information she gave us to set this up. This book was a little refreshing to read about a good relationship such as was Maggie and Cal’s, but Maggie at times was often worried that Cal was going to leave despite his attempts at trying to convince her enough he was not going anywhere, but they did have some things to iron out in the end. I hope the next book brings more for this couple! I enjoyed their relationship very much, and I enjoyed what Cal felt for Maggie. He seems like such a wonderful man, an honest man with nothing to hide, and the things probably most people would want to hide about themselves, he was more than willing to open up and tell her about. That, is GOLD! I couldn’t help but to feel as if something was missing from Maggie. Her fire? Or maybe because of everything she is going through at this time is just so much she is having a very difficult time getting through it all. She was pretty quiet for the most part, she just didn’t feel like a good, solid character . . . yet when she is supposed to be one of the main ones. I wanted more strength from her, and at times we sure did get it! It just took time and the right circumstances to make her strength come out, and when it does, watch out! It did take almost the entire book for some situations to come up where we could see just how much strength this woman has, and again, once she shows us her true colors and her strength, we know there is no stopping her and she also surprises herself that she can be as strong as she is. When she doubted herself, the funny thing was her own father told her she definitely had strength, she just needed to go to work and leave the campground to see it come out. Cal even told her in the end she needed to find her fire, to choose something that she ‘had’ to do. I hope in the next book her fire works out. We’ll see! One of the neatest things the author did with this book was at the beginning of each chapter she had a quote. You could read the quote and somewhat guess what that chapter was going to address, or not, but it would be about the feelings, a topic, an event, something that that quote would apply to in that chapter. I have never come across anything like that in the past, and I loved that a lot! When I first realized that was what this author was doing, I did have to go back a few times and reread the quotes because when I first read them I did not catch what she was doing at first, and I wanted to figure out how that quote applied to the chapter, and they ALL apply to each chapter! I enjoyed a little laugh with that! Thanks to the author for providing that extra thought! Now I want to read Book 2 in this series NOW! I am VERY MUCH looking forward to it.
A special thank you, MIRA publishers, for sending me this beautiful hardcover edition of this book that showed up in my mailbox! I was SO happy! I now had a beautiful book from this author I have been wanting to read for quite a while now! ( )
  lauriehere | Jun 20, 2016 |
I have been experiencing burn out with contemporary romance this year. I think my biggest problem was the prevalence of new adult heroines... immature girls with lots of drama that made me feel old. So I thought I would try some new authors, those who write more mature female leads who are ensconced in their professional lives. I figured I would have more in common with these types of heroines.

Unfortunately, this book didn't do it for me. It started out okay. Maggie is a successful neurosurgeon who has experienced a personal tragedy, and is being sued for malpractice. But as the story got going, I really felt like I was watching one of those movies that comes on the Lifetime Channel. (They really aren't my thing either.) Overall, I found Maggie to be boring and I lost my connection to her very quickly.

I did like the hero, California Jones, lawyer and widower. The story about his wife was sad and moving, and he seemed like a genuinely good guy. I didn't find anything about him to be exciting though. Even the intimacy between the couple seemed more clinical than steamy or romantic. However, I totally lost respect for his character when he started talking about legal procedure because he was just flat out wrong. (Discussed below)

The story meandered along at a snail's pace, except for a small blip of excitement around 35%. I wanted something to happen to spike my interest, but it didn't and I ended up losing interest all together. By 76%, I realized I was skimming pretty often and I decided to stop reading.

I think the final nail in the coffin for me was the incorrect legal information that I kept coming across. For example, Cal is telling Maggie that she should not testify... but this is a civil trial, she does not have a choice. Either party in a civil case can be compelled to testify. Then a couple paragraphs later, Cal tells Maggie that if he were the plaintiff's attorney, he would use all her prior lawsuits against her. But a jury does not get to consider prior bad acts in a malpractice suit. There were a number of these mistakes, and they are the reason I usually stay away from books that cross my professional arena. I can't help picking apart glaring mistakes to legal practice and procedure... and its pretty clear that this book has criminal procedure confused with civil procedure. They are quite different.

Otherwise, I am not giving up on this author. I have heard good things about her Virgin River series, so I think I will give it a shot and see if another story piques my interest.

I received an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. 2 stars / 2 flames. ( )
  Bambi_Unbridled | May 28, 2016 |
What we Find by Robyn Carr is 2016 MIRA publication. I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher and Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

This is the first book in the Sullivan’s Crossing series by the amazing Robyn Carr. I have been very curious about this new series and I eagerly dived into it.

Maggie is dangerously close to meltdown territory after a series of huge professional dilemmas takes place, and her personal life implodes, as well. Heeding the advice of friends, Maggie decides to take a leave of absence and visit her father, Sully, who lives in the small community of Sullivan’s Crossing in the Colorado mountains.

But, her plan to escape from life’s pressures are quickly dashed when Sully has a heart attack, and Maggie must tend to him, which means sticking around much longer than she had anticipated.

Cal is in Sullivan’s Crossing with a top secret mission of his own. He hangs round the general store helping with chores while Sully regains his strength, which gives him time to get to know Maggie.

Initially, Maggie is wary of Cal, who seems like a man without direction, or goals, and no apparent need to work a real job. But, there is no denying an underlying attraction to him, and it could be that Cal is just the soothing balm Maggie needs right now. But, once the summer is over, will Cal move on?

First of all, the setting for this book is perfect. While I consider myself more of a beach person, this book had me pining for the Colorado mountains. The slower pace of life is evident and I could feel the stress Maggie was under slowly begin to ease, the more times she spends here. This setback in her life also offers her the opportunities to address old resentments, which helps her strengthen her relationship with Sully, and realize the sacrifices he made for her.

However, there were a few issues with this series debut, one of which, for me personally, was Cal’s understated personality. He was too cool for school sometimes, personifying his parent’s hippie background with a kind of laid back response to almost anything, which is charming at first, and his playful teasing draws Maggie out of her depression. But, he remains too calm even in life’s most poignant moments, or in situations that are extremely heavy, dire, or dangerous, or just plain stressful or emotional. I wanted him to show some kind of righteous indignation on Maggie’s behalf, to wipe away a few understandable tears, or feel his heart beat out of his chest during harrowing moments, but I never picked up that vibe from him, and it’s a little odd for a person not to respond to those situations with more gusto. In real life, I think someone like Cal would drive me nuts. But, he is super sweet, too, and really comes through for some folks in a big way, and I knew he had a big, generous heart, which eventually won me over. I also appreciated that his character was a little offbeat, his unusual background, and his approach to Maggie and the building of their relationship.

The other issue with the story was the pacing, which unfortunately is almost a death knell for this book, because of its sluggishness. I had a very hard time staying focused and fought hard not to skim over some areas.

However, Maggie more than makes up for any of Cal’s blandness, and single handedly saves the story with her exploits, which come out of nowhere sometimes, and are often hilarious or exhilarating, giving the story a strong shot in the arm at just the right moment. Maggie is the heart and soul of this story, and her journey to Sullivan's crossing, and all the trials she faced, will open her eyes to all there is to be thankful for, will teach her some very important life lessons, and open doors for her that are far more appealing than the life she was living in Denver.

I also enjoyed the quotes that started off each chapter, and loved seeing two people with huge, life altering issues to face down, helping each other move upward and onward to bigger and better things, learning what is most important in life, accepting that fate has plans for them, they didn’t expect, and finding the courage to embark on a new path, working things out as they go, and are rewarded with peace, contentment and true love.

Although, the road was a bit rocky, overall, this is a solid begging for this new series. 3.5 stars ( )
  gpangel | Apr 27, 2016 |

Under extreme pressure, neurosurgeon Maggie Sullivan knows she needs to slow down before she burns out completely, and the best place she can do that is Sullivan's Crossing.

Named for Maggie's great-grandfather, the land and charming general store at the crossroads of the Colorado and the Continental Divide trails now belong to Maggie's eccentric father, Sully. She relishes the opportunity to indulge in his simple way of life.

But Maggie's world is rocked and she must take responsibility for the Crossing. When a quiet and serious-looking hiker, Cal Jones, offers to lend a hand, Maggie is suspicious of his motives—until she finds out the true reason for his deliberate isolation.

Though Cal and Maggie each struggle with loss and loneliness, the time they spend together gives Maggie hope for something brighter just on the horizon…if only they can learn to find peace and healing—and perhaps love—with each other.

What We Find by Robyn Carr will be available Apr 5, 2016. Preorder your copy today!

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 06 Nov 2015 05:29:22 -0500)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,146,229 books! | Top bar: Always visible