The Fires of Heaven by Robert Jordan

The Fires of Heaven

by Robert Jordan

Series: Wheel of Time (5)

The Wheel of Time continues to deliver, but not as smoothly as the previous entries. I've seen a lot of gripes concerning the reminders of details that were covered in earlier books, and they do slow down the plot. I'm assuming the reminders are there for those who haven't read book 4 recently. In any case, they are not the biggest issues.

Perrin and his group are absent in The Fires of Heaven, likely since he got some time to shine in The Shadow Rising. Also absent is the Jordan's world building. The heroes return to lands that have already been seen, so no new cultures are introduced. Instead, we see how recent events are reshaping the lands west of the Dragonwall. People are vying for power in the Dragon Reborn's wake while the Dark One's prison is weakening, and a prophet is gaining influence in the less stable areas.

Mat continues to try to escape from it all, although Rand finally gives him a talking to. Both Rand and Mat are forced to re-examine some of their feelings on women in warfare. Rand especially, since he has to deal with the consequences of his (in)actions. Both of them grow as characters, along with Egwene who is beginning to realize her own potential.

My two biggest gripes are Nynaeve and the amount of text that could be trimmed without affecting plot or characters. Often, especially in the beginning, there will two or three chapters in a row with the same POV character where the first one was almost unnecessary. That first chapter would be talking about doing something, and the following chapter would be doing that thing. The book can be a good two or three hundred pages shorter if these chapters were cut or combined. That said, when things are happening, they do not disappoint. The conclusion was especially satisfying.

Nynaeve was by far the most annoying part of it all. She's headstrong, stubborn, and used to getting her way, but how many paragraphs need to be her bickering with Elayne (who isn't much better sometimes) or thinking how great everything would be if everyone just does what she wants. On top of this is a lack of self awareness when she berates her group for being reckless, only to charge into danger herself when others who are far more experienced give her very explicit warnings of what can go wrong. Though she does eventually face consequences for this, its still pretty grating. ( )
  Cerelin | Aug 15, 2019 |
This book has a lot of development - both of characters and political situations. Which is fine. I'm cool with that. I also quite enjoyed the ending. There were some intense and incredible battles. In fact, one of my favorite battles is in this one. The last 200 pages were very satisfying.

I rated The Fires of Heaven 3 stars because it should have been titled Catfights and Repetition. I know how many damn ajahs there are. I know why Nynaeve originally left the village. I know that Andor has queens not kings. I know what a freakin' wilder is. You know why? Because it's book FIVE and I didn't just start a 14 book series at number 5! Who does that? Sweet baby Jesus, the information is in the flippin' glossary.

As for the stereotypical sniping, catty bickering - the book could have been 300 pages shorter with that taken out. I don't pick up epic fantasy to read about medieval slut-shaming amongst friends. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Mar 1, 2019 |
Jordan's epic continues to thrive, but there are signs of it faltering under its weight. 'Fires of Heaven' finds our victorious Nynaeve, Elayne, Thom, and Julien making their way out of Tarabon assured that they had left it better than they found it. Alas....but that's another plot-line. Nynaeve is hardly a fan favorite, but I've always liked her and a tonal shift in her narration is Nynaeve at her most enjoyable. She also scores a major personal victory.

Anyway, Rand, Jasin, Mat, Aviendha, Moiraine, and Lan are headed out of the Waste after the villainous Shaido, who have quickly become a menace to the 'treekiller' nation of Carhien and everything and everyone else they run into. The changes to Mat and Moiraine's characters are particularly noteworthy.

Perrin, Loial, Faile and Three Aiel....nothing. They don't appear, so readers must presume that domestic bliss and the flowering of the Two Rivers just wasn't interesting enough. Considering how toxic Faile and Perrin's relationship can be...I probably agree with Jordan on that.

Min, Siuan, Leane and Logain are still traveling incognito to find where rebel Aes Sedai may be gathering, but run afoul of someone who could help their plans or simply drag them back to a farm in chains.

Meanwhile, in Caemlyn, some really icky stuff is going on, and one of the most depressing character arcs in the series is swanning on down into the mud.

That last may be why this book has some tarnish. I've been loving the reread much more than I anticipated, but there's no getting around some unpleasant and barely plot-necessary happenings. Then again, the series still has some great moments (I for one loved the circus), more information from the Forsaken, big sea-change moments as Rand achieves more victories and yet also suffers great losses, and another spectacular finish. Though the plot-lines no longer converge, Jordan had a knack for pulling together enough of his plots to make gripping reading.

The Wheel of Time

Next: 'Lord of Chaos'

Previous: 'The Shadow Rising' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 21, 2019 |
This is where the series begins to wear a bit thin. This book dragged, and probably could have been condensed with Book 6 to no ill-effect. Instead, we get 900+ pages where very little actually happens. The beginning, as we explore the Wastes with Rand and Co, and watch Nynaeve and Co, travel – but after a while, the story stagnates and it because tedious to read. You just want someone to DO something.
Jordan is known for his detail – and it really shows in this book. The story suffers as paragraph after paragraph is given over to minutiae. Trim the fat, please!
Despite this, the story does move forward (eventually) and we leave the characters in more danger than ever. I am eager to see what happens, although I hope the next novel does not plod like this one. ( )
  empress8411 | Oct 29, 2018 |
In each book of this series, I have found Nynaeve increasingly annoying. In this one, my irritation turned to outright dislike. And where was Perrin? ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 18, 2018 |

Nielsen, Matthew C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
With his coming are the dread fires born again. The hills burn, and the land turns sere. The tides of men run out, and the hours dwindle. The wall is pierced, and the veil of parting raised. Storms rumble beyond the horizon, and the fires of heaven purse the earth. There is no salvation without destruction, no hope the side of death.
--fragment from The Prophecies of the Dragon believed translated by N'Delia Basolaine First Maid and Swordfast to Raidhen of Hol Cuchone (circa 400 AB)
For Harriet The light of her eyes is my Light.
Elaida do Avriny a'Roihan absently fingered the long, seven-striped stole about her shoulders, the stole of the Amyrlin Seat, as she sat behind her wide writing table.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812550307, Mass Market Paperback)

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and go. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:35 -0400)

The Last Battle is approaching rapidly, for the seals of the Dark One's prison are beginning to crumble. Rand Al'Thor, now fully realized as the Dragon Reborn, is closer to ruling the world, while the Forsaken Rahvin is meeting with three of his fellows to ensure their ultimate victory over the Dragon. As always, the stakes are nothing less than cosmic. All civilization depends on the Dark One's defeat.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,436,977 books! | Top bar: Always visible