The Fires of Heaven (The Wheel of Time, Book…

The Fires of Heaven (The Wheel of Time, Book 5) (edition 1994)

by Robert Jordan

Title:The Fires of Heaven (The Wheel of Time, Book 5)
Authors:Robert Jordan
Info:Tor Fantasy (1994), Mass Market Paperback, 992 pages
Tags:@read: own, series

The Fires of Heaven by Robert Jordan

Recently added byDuchessofHazard, mtunquist, AndaleTheGreat, Ghostoverlord, Jay-Freeman, private library

Summary: Now that Rand has been to Rhuidean and proclaimed himself the Car’a’carn as well as the Dragon Reborn, he is beginning to fulfill the prophecies - including the one that says that he will break the Aiel. Many Aiel that learned their true history are succumbing to the bleakness, and joining the Shaido, one of the clans that refuse to accept Rand as the Car'a'carn. Rand worries about uniting the Aiel behind him in time for the last battle, but he is also worried about more personal secrets - such as the loyalty of Asmodean, one of the Forsaken, who is bound to teach Rand how to control the male half of the one power before he goes mad. He has other advisors as well: Moiraine, who seems to feel the need to reach Rand what she knows more urgently than ever before, and Aviendha, who is tasked with teaching Rand Aiel customs, much to her own discomfiture. Egwene continues her learning with the Aiel Wise Ones, and Mat continues to try to escape the pull of Rand and ta'veren.

Meanwhile, the split in the White Tower has left Elaida as Amyrlin; Min, Leane, Siuan, and Logaine on the run; and the "rebel" sisters who refuse to accept the coup setting up a White-Tower-in-Exile in a small town in Altara called Salidar. Nynaeve and Elaine, fleeing from the Black Ajah in Tanchico, join a traveling circus to avoid notice, not only by agents of the Black Ajah, but also by Whitecloaks, the Forsaken, and agents of the White Tower - for Elayne's mother, Queen Morgause, is pressing Elaida for her daughter's safe return, when she is not wrapped up by her new romantic interest, Lord Gaebril, who is more than he seems on the surface.

Review: I remember this book as being one of my favorites (maybe in close runner-up to The Shadow Rising), but in trying to summarize it, it seems like this book is a lot of people traveling to other places in order for the real action to begin. Not that this book doesn't have plenty of action - Aviendha's (accidental) discovery of gateways and flight to Seanchan lands, Mat's first (accidental) turn as a battle leader in the fight with the Shaido, Moiraine and Lanfear's fight on the docks in Cairhien, Nynaeve's fight with Moghidien in Tel'aran'rhiod, Rand and Rahvin in the Royal Palace in Andor. But most of that happens towards the end of the book, so most of the rest of it feels like a very extended road trip. (or rather, several road trips.) There's a lot of things that are set up in this book that become hugely important later - Salidar, the (re-)introduction of Gareth Bryne, the discovery of gateways, the consequences of Moiraine's fight with Lanfear, the escape of Morgause, the dice in Mat's head, the first meeting with the Prophet, etc. There's also a number of smaller scenes that I'd largely forgotten about since the last time I read the series - Nynaeve & Elayne's kidnapping, for one - that are actually very vivid and tense.

However, despite the fact that in summary it feels like a long time of waiting followed by a rush of action, that's not at all what my experience listening to it was. I was involved in the story throughout, and I rarely felt like it bogged down, even when there wasn't a ton of forward momentum in any of the story lines. The one problematic thing that I did notice is that this is when Jordan's gender relations start to acquire the blunt "men think women are silly and frivolous; women think men are careless idiots; neither gender can understand the other" cast that plague the rest of the books. This is largely down to the amount of time spent with Nynaeve's point of view; the device of "Nynaeve derides other people for being/doing [X] while obliviously doing [X] herself" gets tired very quickly, and it's used almost as much as her tugging on her braid and sniffing. Other characters do it too, which is why I got so annoyed with it, but Nynaeve's the worst offender, which is why my notes-to-self about this review simply say "Shut up, Nynaeve."

Overall, though, The Fires of Heaven is still this series on the upswing, and if it's not the best installment, it does contain a LOT of good stuff, and while it's easy to find something to complain about in a book of this size, the fact remains that it tells a good story with compelling characters, and is still engrossing enough to keep me involved for almost a day and a half's worth of audiobook time. On my original read, I gave it 5 out of 5, on the re-read and with a little more reflection, it's still 4.5 out of 5 stars. ( )
  fyrefly98 | Jul 31, 2015 |
I kept putting this book down. It isn't bad. It just isn't all that exciting...The journey continues...on and on... ( )
  hazysaffron | Feb 17, 2015 |
While Jordan's writing has slightly improved in each of The Wheel of Time books so far, The Fires of Heaven shows the greatest improvement over the previous ones. A few times, I found myself stopping to admire the writing itself, unlike previous WoT books, where I'd be thrown out of the reading experience by clumsy sentences and phrasing. There's still plenty of room for improvement though, especially regarding the overuse of certain phrases and metaphors.

Plot-wise and avoiding spoilers, a lot of things bothered me in various ways (absences, losses, and a deus ex machina—well, okay, I did like that one...).

All in all, I enjoyed Jordan's improved writing skills, loved most of this book, and hated parts of it. ( )
  Ashles | Aug 30, 2014 |
Very good. Lots of action and bloodshed, as well as the loss (maybe?) of some major characters. Rand continues to develop and evolve to face the challenges facing him, while the story lines of the other characters become more, not less, convoluted with each new event. The solving of one problem only introduces three more! On to Book 6! ( )
  darcy36 | Jul 8, 2014 |
3.5 stars. it is really good book, well the later half is. the first half or so feels so drawn out. the pacing is so slow it actually took me a month when i was finish the other books in a week or 2. there are some really good plot points though especially concerning asmodean. ( )
  seaofsorrow | May 20, 2014 |

Nielsen, Matthew C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
With his coming are the dread fires born again. The hills burn, and the land turns sere. The tides of men run out, and the hours dwindle. The wall is pierced, and the veil of parting raised. Storms rumble beyond the horizon, and the fires of heaven purse the earth. There is no salvation without destruction, no hope the side of death.
--fragment from The Prophecies of the Dragon believed translated by N'Delia Basolaine First Maid and Swordfast to Raidhen of Hol Cuchone (circa 400 AB)
For Harriet The light of her eyes is my Light.
Elaida do Avriny a'Roihan absently fingered the long, seven-striped stole about her shoulders, the stole of the Amyrlin Seat, as she sat behind her wide writing table.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812550307, Mass Market Paperback)

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and go. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:35 -0400)

The Last Battle is approaching rapidly, for the seals of the Dark One's prison are beginning to crumble. The Dragon Reborn is closer to ruling the world, while the Forsaken Rahvin is meeting with three of his fellows to ensure their ultimate victory over the Dragon.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,882,381 books! | Top bar: Always visible