The Fires of Heaven (The Wheel of Time, Book…

The Fires of Heaven (The Wheel of Time, Book 5) (edition 1994)

by Robert Jordan

Member:alynnk
Title:The Fires of Heaven (The Wheel of Time, Book 5)
Authors:Robert Jordan
Info:Tor Fantasy (1994), Mass Market Paperback, 992 pages
Tags:@read: own, series

The Fires of Heaven by Robert Jordan

While Jordan's writing has slightly improved in each of The Wheel of Time books so far, The Fires of Heaven shows the greatest improvement over the previous ones. A few times, I found myself stopping to admire the writing itself, unlike previous WoT books, where I'd be thrown out of the reading experience by clumsy sentences and phrasing. There's still plenty of room for improvement though, especially regarding the overuse of certain phrases and metaphors.

Plot-wise and avoiding spoilers, a lot of things bothered me in various ways (absences, losses, and a deus ex machina—well, okay, I did like that one...).

All in all, I enjoyed Jordan's improved writing skills, loved most of this book, and hated parts of it. ( )
  Ashles | Aug 30, 2014 |
Very good. Lots of action and bloodshed, as well as the loss (maybe?) of some major characters. Rand continues to develop and evolve to face the challenges facing him, while the story lines of the other characters become more, not less, convoluted with each new event. The solving of one problem only introduces three more! On to Book 6! ( )
  darcy36 | Jul 8, 2014 |
3.5 stars. it is really good book, well the later half is. the first half or so feels so drawn out. the pacing is so slow it actually took me a month when i was finish the other books in a week or 2. there are some really good plot points though especially concerning asmodean. ( )
  seaofsorrow | May 20, 2014 |
The story is interesting enough but the character dynamics are pathetic. The gender politics is juvenile, and frankly, there isn't a single member of the scattered alliance of good guys who is open and forthright in his dealings with others. Everyone from Rand himself down to the lowest novice of the Tower is so tightly wrapped, secretive, and mistrustful that they do not deserve to win the fight. I am beginning to loathe each and every one of them. Drama should never come from characters behaving stupidly and withholding information from each other. This is just a camouflaged form of Deus Ex. The only reason I am going to continue with the series is to see how things might change under Sanderson. ( )
  Jefficus | Apr 25, 2014 |
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

For being such a long book (nearly 1000 pages in my trade paperback copy), amazingly little happens in The Fires of Heaven, and this is why so many readers have abandoned this otherwise interesting story. Approximately the first third of the novel contains so much recap and repetition that, if I'd had "my hair in a proper braid," I would have been yanking it as often as Nynaeve does.

The formula for the first 100 pages or so goes something like this: One or two lines of dialogue, two paragraphs of backstory, another line of dialogue, another couple of paragraphs of backstory... It felt like the proverbial "one step forward, two steps back!"

I managed to stick with it, though, only because I was listening to it on audiobook (and therefore only half listening while I accomplished something else at the same time) and because I wanted to write a review. Besides, I found it immensely entertaining when I could complete Robert Jordan's sentences for him... >...

In The Fires of Heaven, we never see Perrin or Faile, which is fine with me. There is an interesting plot-line involving Siuan Sanche, Logain, and Gareth Bryne. Rand's adoption of Asmodean is entertaining, too -- I like that we're not really sure which side Asmodean and Lanfear are on. The plot does finally move forward a bit, but it takes way too long to do so. The book could have easily been cut to half its size and been better for it. If I had been the editor, I would have taken a blue pencil to all instances of:
* females obsessing about the modesty of their clothing
* males obsessing about the modesty of female clothing
* needless skirt smoothing and straightening
* silk clinging to hips and breasts
* shivering or sweating that has nothing to do with the weather
* disgusted talk about not understanding the opposite sex
* braid pulling, tugging, and yanking
* sniffing
* thoughts or actual instances of bottoms being switched or spanked
* Nynaeve's cat fights

At this point, I'm quickly loosing patience as The Wheel of Time quickly looses steam. That's a shame, because the story itself is very good -- but it's just too hard to extract it from the dross.
Read more Robert Jordan book reviews at Fantasy literature. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |

Robert Jordanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Canty, ThomasIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mitchell, EllisaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
With his coming are the dread fires born again. The hills burn, and the land turns sere. The tides of men run out, and the hours dwindle. The wall is pierced, and the veil of parting raised. Storms rumble beyond the horizon, and the fires of heaven purse the earth. There is no salvation without destruction, no hope the side of death.
--fragment from The Prophecies of the Dragon believed translated by N'Delia Basolaine First Maid and Swordfast to Raidhen of Hol Cuchone (circa 400 AB)
For Harriet The light of her eyes is my Light.
Elaida do Avriny a'Roihan absently fingered the long, seven-striped stole about her shoulders, the stole of the Amyrlin Seat, as she sat behind her wide writing table.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812550307, Mass Market Paperback)

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and go. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:40 -0400)

The Last Battle is approaching rapidly, for the seals of the Dark One's prison are beginning to crumble. The Dragon Reborn is closer to ruling the world, while the Forsaken Rahvin is meeting with three of his fellows to ensure their ultimate victory over the Dragon.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,962,769 books! | Top bar: Always visible