The Fires of Heaven (The Wheel of Time, Book…

The Fires of Heaven (The Wheel of Time, Book 5) (edition 1994)

by Robert Jordan

Member:alynnk
Title:The Fires of Heaven (The Wheel of Time, Book 5)
Authors:Robert Jordan
Info:Tor Fantasy (1994), Mass Market Paperback, 992 pages
Tags:@read: own, series

The Fires of Heaven by Robert Jordan

I kept putting this book down. It isn't bad. It just isn't all that exciting...The journey continues...on and on... ( )
  hazysaffron | Feb 17, 2015 |
As Mat would say, Blood and Bloody Ashes! I'm beginning to dread writing Wheel of Time reviews, because there's maybe one character so far that hasn't managed to annoy the heck out of me, yet I'm still loving the story.
For its size, there's not really that much happening in this one. Rand and the Aiel fight a couple of battles, but none were, for me, on par with the battle for the Two Rivers from the 4th book. ( )
  DarkDagon | Feb 1, 2015 |
While Jordan's writing has slightly improved in each of The Wheel of Time books so far, The Fires of Heaven shows the greatest improvement over the previous ones. A few times, I found myself stopping to admire the writing itself, unlike previous WoT books, where I'd be thrown out of the reading experience by clumsy sentences and phrasing. There's still plenty of room for improvement though, especially regarding the overuse of certain phrases and metaphors.

Plot-wise and avoiding spoilers, a lot of things bothered me in various ways (absences, losses, and a deus ex machina—well, okay, I did like that one...).

All in all, I enjoyed Jordan's improved writing skills, loved most of this book, and hated parts of it. ( )
  Ashles | Aug 30, 2014 |
Very good. Lots of action and bloodshed, as well as the loss (maybe?) of some major characters. Rand continues to develop and evolve to face the challenges facing him, while the story lines of the other characters become more, not less, convoluted with each new event. The solving of one problem only introduces three more! On to Book 6! ( )
  darcy36 | Jul 8, 2014 |
3.5 stars. it is really good book, well the later half is. the first half or so feels so drawn out. the pacing is so slow it actually took me a month when i was finish the other books in a week or 2. there are some really good plot points though especially concerning asmodean. ( )
  seaofsorrow | May 20, 2014 |

Robert Jordanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Canty, ThomasIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mitchell, EllisaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
With his coming are the dread fires born again. The hills burn, and the land turns sere. The tides of men run out, and the hours dwindle. The wall is pierced, and the veil of parting raised. Storms rumble beyond the horizon, and the fires of heaven purse the earth. There is no salvation without destruction, no hope the side of death.
--fragment from The Prophecies of the Dragon believed translated by N'Delia Basolaine First Maid and Swordfast to Raidhen of Hol Cuchone (circa 400 AB)
For Harriet The light of her eyes is my Light.
Elaida do Avriny a'Roihan absently fingered the long, seven-striped stole about her shoulders, the stole of the Amyrlin Seat, as she sat behind her wide writing table.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812550307, Mass Market Paperback)

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and go. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:40 -0400)

The Last Battle is approaching rapidly, for the seals of the Dark One's prison are beginning to crumble. The Dragon Reborn is closer to ruling the world, while the Forsaken Rahvin is meeting with three of his fellows to ensure their ultimate victory over the Dragon.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,804,846 books! | Top bar: Always visible