The Last Mile by David Baldacci

The Last Mile

by David Baldacci

I really like this series. Hope it continues. ( )
  Catsysta | Aug 5, 2018 |
I'm still amazed that Baldacci keeps putting out such excellent stories. There are some great characters in this one with Amos Decker developing into a more likable fellow than in the first book. There are many high points in the story which builds and reveals in a way that all but what I hope is a small segment of the population will enjoy. It's all knitted together so well. But we know that, because we know that Baldacci will quit writing before he turns out a bad story. ( )
  ajlewis2 | Jul 11, 2018 |
Just finished an excellent audiobook of the Last Mile starring Amos Decker. I thought this was a nice development from the first book Memory Man. In the first book we see largely into Deckers personality, his past, wounds, family, and incident that lead him to his unusual mental capacity. In this book we see Decker's personality come to life in relation to a newly minted FBI squad.

This second installment is more plot-centered you see more of a collaboration among some of the new members of the team. But make no mistake about it. Decker shines just like in the first book. Excellent read. ( )
  BenjaminThomas | Mar 16, 2018 |
Heart bounding at times and lots of secrets revealed. A great addition to the series. I always enjoy a David Baldacci book. ( )
  MHanover10 | Feb 4, 2018 |
Even better than the first one ! Well plotted and complex with plenty of action too. ( )
  bennian | Jan 19, 2018 |
To the memories of Alison Parker and Adam Ward, two brilliant lights taken from us far too soon.

And to Vicki Gardner, whose courage and grace are inspiring testaments to the resiliency of the human spirit.
Mars, Melvin.

In here, anywhere, anytime, they called out your name backward, and he would instantly respond when he heard his.
"Where the NAACP office was they built a public library. You know people who read are a lot more tolerant and open-minded than those who don't."
"Great, so let's get everybody in the world a library card." [Chapter 73]

When Amos Decker, newly appointed special agent with the FBI, hears the news that Melvin was saved in the final seconds before his execution because someone has confessed to the killings, he persuades his boss to allow him to carry out an investigation into the Mars murders. There are facts about the case which don't add up, and as the investigation deepens, Decker and his team uncover layer upon layer of lies and deception which are rooted at a time in American history which most would rather forget, but some seem keen to remember. There is someone out there with a lot to hide, and a secret that everyone is looking for. A race against time ensues because, when revealed, that information threatens to tear apart the corridors of power at the very highest level. The case proves to be life-changing for both Mars and Decker in ways that neither could ever have imagined.

Melvin Mars awaits his fate on Death Row. He was one of America's most promising football stars until, aged twenty-years-old, he was arrested and convicted for the murder of his parents just as he was due to begin a very lucrative contract with the NFL. When Amos Decker, newly appointed special agent with the FBI, hears the news that Melvin was saved in the final seconds before his execution because someone has confessed to the killings, he persuades his boss to allow him to carry out an investigation into the Mars murders.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,983,571 books! | Top bar: Always visible