Shadow Rising by Robert Jordan

Shadow Rising (original 1992; edition 2008)

by Robert Jordan

Member:Barton101
Title:Shadow Rising
Authors:Robert Jordan
Info:Paw Prints 2008-04-18 (2008), Library Binding

The Shadow Rising by Robert Jordan (1992)

The pace of the story is starting to slow down for me.

In this book, Perrin's story was by far the most interesting, and you finally learn why his is Ta'veren. Of course, you know why Rand is- he's the "Dragon Reborn", but up to this book, you didn't know why Perrin was, and you still don't know why Mat is. But, I've been told that Mat's story gets more interesting when you get further in the story, so I'll bee looking forward to that.

Perrin had the most character development of all the characters in this book by far. Really, it should have been named Goldeneyes. He develops his role as a leader and battle commander, puts the Whitecloaks in their place, falls in love, and cements his place firmly in the story as one to be reckoned with.

However, Rand's story was okay. Not spectacular until the final chapters. Nothing like Perrin's at least. There was some character development, such as fulfilling more prophecy, but nothing really outstanding. In fact, there was more character development with the Amyrlin Seat and Keeper than Rand. And with Mat hanging around Rand the whole book, he just felt like a witty sidekick to me. Even Moiraine and Lan see very, very, very little development (Lan less so than Moiraine).

Egwene and Nynaeve actually get through some interesting character development, but as a whole, their story was very boring and long to me. So much of it was planning, planning, planning. A couple reveals, but overall, it falls flat. I got bored quickly reading their chapters.

With the book titled The Shadow Rising, you learn how the Dark One is weakening his prison, and get some good conflicts with the Forsaken. Really, for a 15-book series (yes, I'm including the prequel New Spring), the story is progressing at a perfectly acceptable pace, and this book keeps it progressing. However, the smaller conflicts were less exciting in this book than previous installments.

Still, I really enjoyed it, and am looking forward to book 5. ( )
  atoponce | Oct 7, 2016 |
The fourth book, The Shadow Rising, is a good one, despite the fact that it brought the braid–tug count up to forty. (I stopped counting after this – I just got tired. Ain't nobody got time for that foolishness. Maybe someday if I read again and keep track of all the prophecies I'll also keep a Tug Count.)

In this one is where some of the intricacies of the plotting are revealed. One aspect of the series which, while kind of fun, is actually sort of a negative is that there are a good half dozen sources of prophecy seeded throughout the monstrously huge cast of characters. Egwene dreams; Elaida has foretellings; Min has her visions; there's Rhuidean; and so on. Oh, and the experiences of Mat and Moiraine Through the Looking Glass – er, Twisted Door. And here some of the prophecies coalesce and come true – and not in obvious manners, necessarily, but in a very cool and innovative way. Pieces come together, and the story takes a huge step forward. It's beautifully executed.

The series as a whole is a big ungainly mess – but I maintain that parts of it are absolutely lovely. ( )
  Stewartry | Jul 26, 2016 |
Each book of this series gets better. There are so many things I loved about this book. It's great to have a book that can shock me. I tend to see things coming from a mile away. I still love Nynaeve! Every book she just gets more bass a** in it! So far reading from Rands point of view isn't very interesting but I'm guessing he'll get better everyone else seems to be getting better. Definitely a favorite series for me! ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
First quarter of the book 4 stars. Middle of the book 3 stars. Last quarter of the book 4 1/2 stars. Especially with Perrin's story. Wish I could give 3.5. ( )
  thefamousmoe | May 1, 2016 |
Rating the series as a whole, because I can't remember them individually without reading them again. Originally read the early ones in 2007, then the whole series in 2009.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
I agree with you. This post is truly inspiring. I like your post and everything you share with us is

Robert Jordanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Weber, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

The Wheel of Time (Boxed Set #2) by Robert Jordan

The Wheel of time series by Robert Jordan (1-11) by Robert Jordan

Best of Robert Jordan: The Shadow Rising; The Fires of Heaven; Lord of Chaos; A Crown of Swords (The Wheel of Time Series) by Robert Jordan

Wheel of Time, Books 1-11 and prequel "New Spring" by Robert Jordan

5 Titles By Robert Jordan Wheel of Time Series (1-5) : 1. The Eye of the World 2. The Great Hunt 3. The Dragon Reborn 4. by Robert Jordan

New Spring, Eye of the World, The Great Hunt, The Dragon Reborn, The Shadow Rising, The Fires of Heaven, Lord of Chaos, by Robert Jordan

Contains

The Shadow shall rise across the world, and darken every land, even to the smallest corner, and there shall be neither Light nor safety. And he who shall be born of the Dawn, born of the Maiden, according to Prophecy, he shall stretch forth his hands to catch the Shadow, and the world shall scream in the pain of salvation. All Glory be to the Creator, and to the Light, and to he who shall be born again. May the Light save us from him.

--from Commentaries on the Karaethon Cycle
Sereine dar Shamelle Motara
Counsel-Sister to Comaelle,
High Queen of Jaramide
(circa 325 AB, the Third Age)
And when the blood was sprinkled on ground where nothing could grow, the Children of the Dragon did spring up, the People of the Dragon, armed to dance with death. And he did call them forth from the wasted lands, and they did shake the world with battle.

--from The Wind of Time by Sulamein so Bhagad
Chief Historian at the Court of the Sun, the Fourth age
Dedicated to
Robert Marks

Writer, teacher, scholar, philosopher, friend and inspiration.
The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812513738, Mass Market Paperback)

Against the Shadow rising stands the Dragon Reborn.....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:34 -0400)

The seals of Shayol Ghul are weak now, and the Dark One reaches out. The Shadow is rising to cover humankind. In Tar Valon, Min sees portents of hideous doom. Will the White Tower itself be broken? In the Two Rivers, the Whitecloaks ride in pursuit of a man with golden eyes, and in pursuit of the Dragon Reborn. In Cantorin, among the Sea Folk, High Lady Suroth plans the return of the Seanchan armies to the mainland. In the Stone of Tear, the Lord Dragon considers his next move. It will be something no one expects, not the Black Ajah, not Tairen nobles, not Aes Sedai, not Egwene or Elayne or Nynaeve. Against the Shadow rising stands the Dragon Reborn. The New York Times bestselling fourth book in the Wheel of Time series, now in mass market.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,769,993 books! | Top bar: Always visible