A Woman's Guide to Self-Nurturing by Joanna…

A Woman's Guide to Self-Nurturing

by Joanna Romer

871,488,462 (2.86)None

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book showcases the importance of taking care of oneself in order to be able to take care of others and to enjoy your life. The author lays out simple truths and ways to help you cultivate an attitude of self nurturing. She shows how to implement this into your life through examples and questions at the end of each chapter. These questions are thought provoking and beneficial to helping one find what makes them happy and feel self nurtured. ( )
  Altarasabine | Mar 4, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was okay, but as mentioned in other reviews, even though the self-nurturing techniques were not necessarily for the most part religious orientated, the religious quotes and the names of the chapters can put one off if they are not aware of it beforehand. In one chapter it does state that if not a Christian one can substitute "Higher Self" when meditating/praying, but to me it means the same thing.
Many of the things in the book (such as not multitasking) are just common sense.
For anyone that has read any book or magizine article on how to relax there is not going to be anything in it that you have not heard before: long hot baths, walking or exercise, shopping, indulging in a snack...(the last two being things I myself would NOT recommend since they can easily turn to addictive behaviour such as binge-shopping or turning to food whenever one is stressed).
Overall the book is a quick read, and should be considered a beginner's self-nurturing guide for the religious woman only ( )
  TheCelticSelkie | Mar 2, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
In general, I enjoyed this book. I didn't know it was a Christian book at first, but was presently surprised when it was since I could relate with it a little better. It was difficult for me not to be slightly offended by some of the Author's "uncomplimentary references to housework" as she puts it. I identify with the term "Biblical Womanhood" more than I do with "feminism" since feminism tends to have a different meaning depending on who you talk to. Regardless, the book was a good "guide" to self-nurturing. The book is made up of very short chapters with exercises to help you go deeper in your reflection. This is nice, because you can work on one aspect of self-nurturing at a time with feeling like you need to sit down and read through the entire book at once. (although that is what I ended up doing) I can't say I learned anything new, it's pretty basic information and doesn't go very deep. I actually already do most of her suggestions naturally. But this may be much needed information for the person how has difficulty with self-esteem. I would say the biggest thing I got out of the book is the reminder that we need to take time to ourselves to reflect and get to know ourselves, because this is how we grow. ( )
  Manderers | Mar 1, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
For most women, the role of caretaker is an important and ongoing one. We often put our needs below those of everyone else in our lives. While we’re busy tending to everyone else’s needs, it’s easy to forget that we too need nurturing. Yet the process is essential to our well-being. “A Woman’s Guide to Self-Nurturing” discusses why and how to take the time to care for ourselves.

With Biblical references and an engaging, conversational “workshop-style”, Ms. Romer details practical advice for building self-esteem through a variety of self-comforting activities. From defining what self-nurturing is to the importance of taking time to simply relax, readers will find value in this book’s pages. Each section ends with a “guidelines” list to further assist readers in their pursuit of living a happier, more fulfilling life.

“A Woman’s Guide to Self-Nurturing” is a concise and compact paperback book, which can easily be carried in a purse or backpack, accessible whenever you’re in need of a little encouragement. Each chapter is self-contained so it’s simple to choose just the right subject at just the right time. Highly recommended! ( )
  ebookreviewgal | Feb 14, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I like this little book which parallels nurturing your self by seeing to your own needs with stories from the Bible admonishing to do just that because you are worth it. Very short chapters make it easy to just open to any page and jump right in. It's nice.
It's more personal than most and has more of a giving to yourself facet that does a lot to help you feel more taken care of. ( )
  justmeRosalie | Feb 10, 2016 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Joanna Romer's book A Woman's Guide to Self-Nurturing: How to Build Self-Esteem by Being Nice to Yourself was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,627,101 books! | Top bar: Always visible