I Almost Forgot About You by Terry McMillan

I Almost Forgot About You (edition 2016)

by Terry McMillan (Author)

Member:hfineisen
Title:I Almost Forgot About You
Authors:Terry McMillan (Author)
Info:Crown (2016), 368 pages
Collections:To read
Rating:***

I Almost Forgot About You: A Novel by Terry McMillan

English (99)  Catalan (1)  All languages (100)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Wanda was my favorite character. Page 215 - "To Hell with all the other ones, girl, just marry Abraham and be done with it." ..."Please fuck him, Georgia. For old times' sake if for nothing else...” and funny on page 203 paragraph 2.

Yea...I like Georgia's new found self. The turning point was after her high school reunion and her gay neighbors drunken admission that her home is cold and sterile.

Overall, I felt that the book lacked the drama an emotion that Terry McMillan brings to us in her characters and novels. Maybe my expectations were set high and the results was disappointment.

There are so many authors writing creatively and passionately to find space within the industry in which Terry McMillan opened the gates and blew the ceiling off of, that she has gotten complacent with her fans to evolve into more creative territory. I will wait and see what she brings to readers next. ( )
  altima313 | Aug 19, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A good story, and I loved the main character, Georgia. She's a 50-something optometrist in San Francisco who's considering making some changes in her life before it's too late. She sets out to find some of her former loves with the help of two life-long girlfriends, and finds humor and some surprises along the way. ( )
  Gingermama | Feb 22, 2018 |
I Almost Forgot About You is a story about a woman named, Georgia, who is bored with her current life. She has a nice career, supportive friends and family, and is financially stable, but it seems like something is missing. She feels as if she is just cruising by life without really enjoying it and wants to find out why. As a result, Georgia decides to compile a list of all the men she’s ever loved in order to revisit the good/bad parts of all of her past relationships to figure out why she feels so lost/confused in her current (love) life.

Georgia is a likable character. She seems well put together and she’s relatable to readers in the sense that we’ve all felt lost in life at times and unsure of the next step is. As Georgia goes through her past relationships it allows her to be more open to new relationships. Reconciling with her exes helps to relieve her of her old grudges and finally get things off her chest that have been weighing her down for years.The soul-searching process helps her to grow as she realizes she needs to do more for herself and less for others.

Georgia’s self journey is a long one but ends with promising results (which I won’t divulge in this review). I enjoyed her story as well as her best friends who are comedic, crazy, supportive. Throughout the book they give sound advice that Georgia doesn’t want to admit, but needs to hear, and you can really see the strong bonds of their friendship throughout various obstacles.

I think it took me while to connect with story but once I understood the overall theme of the novel I really began to appreciate it for the messages it gave to its readers. Reading about Georgia’s life reminds us that we have to let bygones be bygones, and to take on life’s obstacles headfirst.

Overall, I felt that this book was funny, heartwarming, and real. The book inspired me to live bigger, and do more things that I enjoy, and to accept new opportunities with open hands. I see why everyone enjoys McMillan’s works and I’m definitely going to look into reading more of her books in the near future!

FTC Disclaimer: I received this book from Blogging For Books in exchange for a fair and honest review. ( )
  Rlmoulde | Nov 25, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed Terry McMillan's book about a 50+ year-old woman rethinking her life. Ms. McMillan's writing is always enjoyable and I love the way her characters interact with each other. I felt that this book lost itself near the end but give it a solid rating because it doesn't disappoint! ( )
  BedOfRoses | Sep 30, 2017 |
This is a good read about a woman who is going through some identity and life choice transitions. One of the themes of this book is about how it's never too late to remake yourself or shift your life path even when you're in your fifties or older. Terry McMillan visited CPL in May 2017 and read portions of this book out loud. ( )
  etheryi | Aug 8, 2017 |
We dream of times that are not and blindly flee the only one that is.
The fact is that the present usually hurts.
--Blaise Pascal, Pensees (47)
THE USES OF SORROW
(In my sleep I dreamed this poem)

Someone I loved once gave me
a box full of darkness.

It took me years to understand
that this, too, was a gift.
--MARY OLIVER
For my son, Solomon
It's another exciting Friday night,  and I'm curled up in bed--alone, of course--propped up by a sea of pillows, still in my lab cost, the sash so taut it's suffocating the purple silk dress beneath it, but I don't care.

Dr. Georgia Young's wonderful life--great friends, family, and successful career--aren't enough to keep her from feeling stuck and restless. When she decides to make some major changes in her life, quitting her job as an optometrist, and moving house, she finds herself on a wild journey that may or may not include a second chance at love.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Terry McMillan's book I Almost Forgot About You was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,594,254 books! | Top bar: Always visible