Raymie Nightingale by Kate DiCamillo

Raymie Nightingale

by Kate DiCamillo

Turtle in Paradise by Jennifer L. Holm (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Quirky Southern characters keep life interesting for the girls in both heartwarming works of historical fiction. Spare, repetitive prose and a leisurely pace make Raymie a meditative read, while Turtle moves more quickly.

This is my first DiCamillo novel, and I was very pleasantly surprised to find myself laughing out loud within the first few minutes. (In part, that's down to the perfectly pitched audiobook narration by Jenna Lamia, it has to be said.) DiCamillo has a skill with words, veering from high, Southern-flecked comedy to the sort of instant dread you only feel in childhood. Unsurprisingly, her children are extremely authentic, including the scene-stealer Louisiana Elefante, who functions as a kind of 1970s Anne of Green Gables-type: all big words, imagination, and gumption. DiCamillo walks that delicate tightrope between our finding Louisiana adorable and seeing her as psychologically scarred; it'll be interesting to see if she can make Louisiana more well-rounded - yet still appealing - in the sequel, where she takes the lead. ( )
  saroz | Nov 3, 2018 |
Kate. Ms. DiCamillo. Author extraordinaire. How do you do it? How do you take a plot about every day life, absolutely nothing special about it, and turn it into something that reeks of importance? How do you create characters so real that I could swear I've met them? How do you tell a story like you were there, witnessing it first hand, jotting down every fine detail?

That's the impression I get from Raymie Nightingale. Three girls growing up in Florida in the mid 1970's. I was there and I can say that this book is spot on. Even though my experiences were different, never took baton lessons, never went to a nursing home to do a good deed, never rescued a friend from drowning, the sense of place and people are the same. I remember the kind women like Mrs. Sylvester who kept a candy jar and looked out for everyone. I remember the nagging old lady next door who gave advice in her own secret language. I remember divinity candy. I remember the cranky old lady like Isabella who would never dare let you know she likes you. I remember grocery stores with names that rolled off your tongue like The Tag and Bag. Most importantly I remember the friendships. All of us bringing our own personalities and talents to the group to make it complete. I love Beverly and her no-nonsense way of getting to the point. I love Louisiana and her kind, naive sweetness. I love Raymie with her flexed toes and even temper.

I don't know how kids today react to books like this, but for me it's like sitting down with an old friend. This is not a book about dysfunctional families. This is a book about friendship. It's a book about slowing down and enjoying this thing called childhood. It's a book that reminds us that every moment of each day has significance to the bigger picture. A treat for the southern soul.

valorrmac | Sep 21, 2018 |
Probably a high 2 stars rather than a low 3 stars--again I wish I could rank out of 10! My least favourite of Ms. DiCamillo's books. She's always a gifted, literate writer, but I felt the plot never really took flight, moments that should have been moving/heartbreaking for just rather "meh," and I doubt I'll remember reading this next year at this time.

This is by no means a bad book, though--her characterization is always good, and you felt a strong sense of place whether you were in a senior's home, the woods, or a furniture-free house, etc. I just felt the ultimate story wasn't particularly strong.

(Note: 5 stars = amazing, wonderful, 4 = very good book, 3 = decent read, 2 = disappointing, 1 = awful, just awful. I'm fairly good at picking for myself so end up with a lot of 4s). ( )
  ashleytylerjohn | Sep 19, 2018 |
Story about friendship. This book takes place in the 1970's. Raymie decides to take baton twirling lessons so she can win a pageant. Her father ran away with is secretary, and Raymie thinks if she can get her name in the newspaper, he will come back to her. She meets some friends who seem to be completely different but really have a lot in common. Three girls, all going through their won struggles, deal with loss and adjusting to their new reality.
  heidimaxinerobbins | Jul 8, 2018 |
Another wonderful book from Kate DiCamillo. Loved the character of Raymie--and her pain and resolve to change her circumstances that really are unchangeable.Wonderful book for children that are experience loss and pain. ( )
  marsap | Mar 6, 2018 |

Two-time Newbery Medalist Kate DiCamillo returns to her roots with a moving, masterful story of an unforgettable summer friendship.

Raymie Clarke has come to realize that everything, absolutely everything, depends on her. And she has a plan. If Raymie can win the Little Miss Central Florida Tire competition, then her father, who left town two days ago with a dental hygienist, will see Raymie's picture in the paper and (maybe) come home. To win, not only does Raymie have to do good deeds and learn how to twirl a baton; she also has to contend with the wispy, frequently fainting Louisiana Elefante, who has a show-business background, and the fiery, stubborn Beverly Tapinski, who’s determined to sabotage the contest. But as the competition approaches, loneliness, loss, and unanswerable questions draw the three girls into an unlikely friendship — and challenge each of them to come to the rescue in unexpected ways.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 04 Nov 2015 06:59:40 -0500)

Hoping that if she wins a local beauty pageant her father will come home, Raymie practices twirling a baton and performing good deeds as she is drawn into an unlikely friendship with a drama queen and a saboteur.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Kate DiCamillo's book Raymie Nightingale was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,914,960 books! | Top bar: Always visible