The World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of…

The World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time (edition 1998)

by Robert Jordan

Member:thetrainedeye
Title:The World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time
Authors:Robert Jordan
Info:Tor Books (1998), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:**1/2
Tags:fantasy, fiction, reference, wheel of time

The World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

English (8)  Dutch (1)  All languages (9)
Fondly (or at least accurately) known as the Big Book of Bad Art in Wheel of Time fanatic circles. The text is fine - a bit dry, mostly superceded (this was published barely halfway through the series, before quite a few mysteries were settled) but generally interesting, at least to completist nerds like me. The internet is a better resource for nerdery, though, which would make the only major virtue of the book the art.

And the art, she is bad. Sloppy, poorly-proportioned, irrelevant, generally contextless, and charmless. The maps are lovely - and there are quite a few reproduced here - but they are reprints of maps from the hardcovers. The full-page spreads of the covers are nice enough, I suppose - the advantage to the book being published only halfway through the series is that none of the really appalling Darrel K Sweet covers were out yet. But the original art is just terrible.

Which makes me sad, because if Tor put out a post-series version of this, with some of the spectacular ebook covers they've recently commissioned and just a few pieces original to the book (and, of course, with updated text) I would snap it up in a heartbeat. I am a sucker for art books, and I am still grumpy that this one, only a sucker would buy. ( )
  JeremyPreacher | Mar 30, 2013 |
I really wanted to like this book a lot, because I LOVE Wheel of Time, and have since I was in Junior High in the early 90s when the series was still young as well. However, it doesn't add much to what you already know if you read the books and pay attention to them as you go. And I'm with everyone else - the art work is hideous! I was also really bothered by the fact that I found a number of typographical and gramatical errors throughout the book. I was tempted to red pen it and send it back to the publisher for a refund! Didn't this book have a copy editor?? Overall, very weak. But, I do like the way it looks on the shelf next to all my WoT books... ( )
  rarelibrarian | Jan 26, 2012 |
1997
  infpgirl | Aug 10, 2010 |
This companion "guide" book is a must have for all Wheel of Time lovers. Robert Jordan has laid out the unwritten descriptions for all of his characters, places, and creatures. The pictures a bit rough, but it kind of gives you a window into Robert Jordan's mind while he was creating this fantastic journey. ( )
  qarae | Dec 30, 2008 |
This book is interesting. It does provide a bit of new information, especially about the lands beyond the borders of our heroes' usual stomping grounds, and it does serve as a useful reference in lieu of searching through 10,000 pages or so of novels to find stray facts. On the other hand, the artwork is frankly hideous--I stared at the picture of Lanfear for several minutes, wondering in whose head that could conceivably be considered attractive, let alone the most beautiful woman who ever lived-- and the book doesn't provide many real insights. It's a collector's item, really. ( )
  Bluesrat | Jan 30, 2008 |

Robert Jordanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Patterson, TeresaAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Hamilton, Todd CameronIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Reference guide/companion to

To Harriet
with love
Het Rad des Tijds draait rond en rond.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312862199, Hardcover)

"The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again." Jordan's Wheel of Time series has uncountable fans, and those who are looking for an encyclopedic history and mythology of Rand al'Thor's world will enjoy this work, which fills in background rather than furthering the story. Also included are double-page spreads of Darrell K. Sweet's seven book jackets for the series.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:03 -0400)

"Companion to The wheel of time ... series-- never-before-told legends, previously unknown peoples and lands, exotic beasts, and portents of what may come to pass"--Jacket flap.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,769,423 books! | Top bar: Always visible