dismiss

Green Earth by Kim Stanley Robinson

Green Earth (original 2015; edition 2015)

by Kim Stanley Robinson (Author)

"The landmark trilogy of cutting-edge science, international politics, and the real-life ramifications of climate change--updated and abridged into a single novel. More than a decade ago, bestselling author Kim Stanley Robinson began a groundbreaking series of near-future eco-thrillers--Forty Signs of Rain, Fifty Degrees Below, and Sixty Days and Counting--that grew increasingly urgent and vital as global warming continued unchecked. Now, condensed into one volume and updated with the latest research, this sweeping trilogy gains new life as Green Earth, a chillingly realistic novel that plunges readers into great floods, a modern Ice Age, and the political fight for all our lives. The Arctic ice pack averaged thirty feet thick in midwinter when it was first measured in the 1950s. By the end of the century it was down to fifteen. One August the ice broke. The next year the breakup started in July. The third year it began in May. That was last year. It's a muggy summer in Washington, D.C., as Senate environmental staffer Charlie Quibler and his scientist wife, Anna, work to call attention to the growing crisis of global warming. But as they fight to align the extraordinary march of modern technology with the awesome forces of nature, fate puts an unusual twist on their efforts--one that will pit science against politics in the heart of the coming storm. Praise for the Science in the Capital trilogy. "Perhaps it's no coincidence that one of our most visionary hard sci-fi writers is also a profoundly good nature writer--all the better to tell us what it is we have to lose."--Los Angeles Times. "An unforgettable demonstration of what can go wrong when an ecological balance is upset."--The New York Times Book Review. "Absorbing and convincing."--Nature"-- "For the first time, the entire Science in the Capitol trilogy (Forty Signs of Rain, Fifty Degrees Below, and Sixty Days and Counting) is available in a single trade paperback, abridged and updated, with a new introduction by the author"--… (more)
Member:paulmorriss
Title:Green Earth
Authors:Kim Stanley Robinson (Author)
Info:HarperVoyager (2015), 1088 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:**
Tags:unfinished

Green Earth (The Science in the Capital) by Kim Stanley Robinson (2015)

French (1)  English (1)  All languages (2)
Please read the full 2583 word analysis on Weighing A Pig...

Green Earth is a revised version of The Science In The Capital-trilogy, a near future series on climate change, American politics and science. The original trilogy consists of Forty Signs Of Rain (2004), Fifty Degrees Below (2005) and Sixty Days And Counting (2007). They were meant to be one long novel all along. In movies, most director’s cuts are longer, but not here so… Robinson cut about 300 pages, still leaving Green Earth to be a mammoth of 1069 pages. It’s unclear how much updating took place, if any – there’s about a decade of extra research and data on climate change since the first volume was published, and it’s not unthinkable that KSR tinkered a bit with some of the data in the original books too.

You can read the 6 page introduction of the book on io9. It is an excellent text by KSR himself on the reasons for this revision, and he tackles some other interesting topics too. His take on the ethics of contemporary literature & science fiction is bold, and rings very true to these ears.

Also, my original idea had been to write a realist novel as if it were science fiction. This approach struck me as funny, and also appropriate, because these days we live in a big science fiction novel we are all writing together. If you want to write a novel about our world now, you’d better write science fiction, or you will be doing some kind of inadvertent nostalgia piece; you will lack depth, miss the point, and remain confused.

I’ll start with some remarks about the book in general, and afterwards zoom in a bit on the 3 parts. I should probably mention that I made about 7 times as many notes while reading as I do for most reviews, and some of that is surely on behalf of the 1000+ page count, but still. Green Earth is an extremely rich book, and this review should have been at least twice as long to do justice to the scope of its ideas: I’ll leave a lot unsaid. So, don’t forget to read the book too!

(...) ( )
1 vote bormgans | Apr 13, 2016 |

As the conversation shifts from debate over the existence of global warming to discussions of how best to deal with its impact, books examining the moral imperatives of biotechnology are more timely than ever. Acclaimed author, Kim Stanley Robinson offers a chilling and highly realistic look at our potential environmental future with his newly revised and collected Science in the Capitol trilogy.

Kim Stanley Robinson—award winning author of the bestselling Mars trilogy—is at the top of his game in this trio of near-future eco-thrillers set in our nation’s capital. Intelligent, suspenseful, and profoundly moving, this is a tale of everyday people caught up in extraordinary circumstances as science, technology, politics, and global climatic changes collide.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,652,933 books! | Top bar: Always visible