Our Mutual Friend, Part 1 by Charles Dickens

Our Mutual Friend, Part 1

by Charles Dickens

792152,477 (4)None

Dutch (1)  English (1)  All (2)
Dickens and his wonderful use of language. If he lived today, he would probably be a software programmer, writing code the way he wrote English. None of this modern, "The clock stopped". Instead, he gives us "a sun-dial on a church-wall has the look...of having failed in its business enterprise and stopped payment for ever." Or describing some crooked graveyard markers, "...and the tombstones; some of the latter droopingly inclined from the perpendicular, as if they were ashamed of the lies they told." Wow.

This volume comprises the first part of the novel, ending with Mrs. Lammle warning Twemlow. It is indeed wonderful to read Dickens this way...instead of one huge massive novel, it seems closer to the experience his devoted readers had as they waited for his next installment. Anticipation of Lizzie, the Boffins (those wonderful Boffins), Headstone, and Wegg...oh my, what will happen next? And how many more characters will he bring into the story?

With camels representing the nouveau riche, Dickens attacks those self-centered yuppies, who live in self-centered worlds based on self-centered show rather than basic practicality. The Veneerings, with their names of varnish, and then the introduction of PODSNAPPERY...all of them fitting quite nicely into the 21st century...with 19th century sarcasm.

"You hear, Eugene? You are deeply interested in lime."
PAUSE
"Without lime," returned that unmoved barrister-at-law, "my existence would be unilluminated by a ray of hope."

Book Season = Winter (raineth everyday) ( )
  Gold_Gato | Sep 16, 2013 |

Charles Dickensprimary authorall editionscalculated
West-Rheene, mw. VanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This work is only Part I of Our Mutual Friend. Please do not combine with the full-length work, Our Mutual Friend. Thank you.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,699,241 books! | Top bar: Always visible