Winter's Heart (The Wheel of Time, Book 9)…

Winter's Heart (The Wheel of Time, Book 9) (edition 2002)

by Robert Jordan

Member:mattries37315
Title:Winter's Heart (The Wheel of Time, Book 9)
Authors:Robert Jordan
Info:Tor Books (2002), Edition: later printing, Mass Market Paperback, 800 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fantasy

Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan

English (42)  Italian (1)  All languages (43)
Its so hard to write a review on these books, there is just so much that happens in them! So, I'm just gonna say that I loved it and its my favorite book so far. I'm finally starting to like Mat a bit more, but I don't think I will ever be an Egwene fan. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
The slowest book yet. There are just too many unimportant characters and unnecessary description thrown in and it becomes increasingly difficult to keep track of everything (or making yourself care about yet another group of aes sedai sitting around discussing something while arranging their dresses and shawls).

The last 50 or so pages are pretty good (something important actually happens) but it's not enough to convince me to give this book three stars. ( )
  thedreadcat | Apr 9, 2016 |
Rating the series as a whole, because I can't remember them individually without reading them again. Originally read the early ones in 2007, then the whole series in 2009.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
If it wasn't obvious enough before, this book makes it strikingly clear that Robert Jordan didn't hold himself to normal fiction-writer standards—and that is both good and bad.

Rather than attempt to at least progress some of the absolute nothing that happened in Path of Daggers, Jordan saw fit to introduce new plotlines, as if that were the most normal thing to do in bloody book 9 of a series. Egwene's plotline—the only marginally interesting story of book 8—is shunned aside to make way for more "exciting" plot twists.

Faile's and co.'s kidnapping and Perrin's resulting emo-ness, as well as Elayne's boring succession thread, would not have been nearly as frustrating if they hadn't been drawn out over at least 3 bloody books. Jordan graces us with more details than even the nerdiest of fantasy nerds care to read about, and it NEVER ENDS.

On a brighter note, Mat is back! Unfortunately, that also means Tylin is back, but Mat's snarkiness is a much-needed buffer to all the less exciting stuff going on throughout Randland.

Rand continues to harden, which is extremely frustrating to watch. It's a good thing Min is always around to remind him to feel something every now and then.

As slow-paced and intricately detailed these later Wheel of Time books become, I can't help but admire Robert Jordan at least slightly for crafting such a believable and complex world. He must have had a super-sized brain to be able to maintain the magnitude of his Wheel of Time world.

I've said it before, but no one can spoil a medicore book with an epic ending quite like Robert Jordan can. The ending of this book is the most epic of the entire series to date. It remains to be seen if the Last Battle will surpass it. Rand cleansing saidin is a huge, huge deal, especially since we've been plowing through Elayne's irritation due to her pregnancy diet and Mat's continued abuse from Tylin for 700 pages. It felt so good to finally see something astronomically good happen to the Light side, and the whole cleansing sequence always has me "on my feet" with anticipation. I love the way Jordan captures so many viewpoints without slowing down the suspense.

And now I'm going to try to forget that it takes a very long time for the effects of the cleansing to finally take stage . . . . ( )
  AngelClaw | Feb 2, 2016 |
I give this one a little higher rating, not because it was that much better than the last, but because of the huge event in the last chapter, that at least on my first reading through years ago, was something I was actually as astounded by as most of the characters in the book. This took a long time to read however, as I got bogged down in the early parts of the book and just didn't have the will power to breeze through them. I skimmed over a lot and caught up on any confusion points in the many summaries online, but it did pick up towards the middle and end as we followed through with Matt's storyline and of course the finale with Rand. Onward to the next book, but I fear it's much of the same. Book 10 is the first one that I've never read before, so at least it will all be new. ( )
  harpua | Jul 5, 2015 |

Nielsen, Matthew C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The seals that hold back night shall weaken, and in the heart of winter shall winter's heart be born amid the wailing of lamentations and the gnashing of teeth, for winter's heart shall ride a black horse, and the name of it is Death. --from The Karaethon Cycle: The Prophecies of the Dragon
Always for Harriet. Always.
Three lanterns cast a flickering light, more than enough to illuminate the small room with its stark white walls and ceiling, but Seaine kept her eyes fixed on the heavy wooden door.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 081257558X, Mass Market Paperback)

Is Robert Jordan still doing the Light's work? Even loyal fans have to wonder. (And if you're not a fan yet, you'll have to read the previous 6,789 pages in this bestselling series to understand what all the fuss is about.)

Everyone's in agreement on the Wheel of Time's first four or five volumes: They're topnotch, where-have-you-been-all-my-life epic fantasy, the best in anybody's memory at the time since The Lord of the Rings. But a funny thing happened on the way to Tarmon Gai'don, and many of those raves have become rants or (worse) yawns. Jordan long ago proved himself a master at world-building, with fascinating characters, a positively delicious backstory, and enough plot and politics to choke a Trolloc, but that same strength has become a liability. How do you criticize what he's doing now? You want more momentum and direction in the central plot line, but it's the secondary stories that have made the world so rich. And as in the last couple of books, (A Crown of Swords and The Path of Daggers), Jordan doesn't really succeed at pursuing either adequately, leaving a lot of heavily invested readers frustrated.

Winter's Heart at least shows some improvement, but it's still not The Eye of the World. Elayne's still waiting to take the crown of Andor; the noticeably absent Egwene is still waiting to go after the White Tower; Perrin gets ready to pursue the Shaido but then disappears for the rest of the book. About the only excitement comes with the long-awaited return of Mat Cauthon and a thankfully rock 'em, sock 'em finale in which Rand finally, finally changes the balance of power in his fight against the Dark One. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:42 -0400)

In the continuing Wheel of Time saga, Rand and Min are on the run, while Black Tower leader Mazrim Taim is exposed, a Seanchan princess arrives in Ebou Dar and the schemers of the White Tower are beset by rebels.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,388,873 books! | Top bar: Always visible