Winter's Heart (The Wheel of Time, Book 9)…

Winter's Heart (The Wheel of Time, Book 9) (edition 2002)

by Robert Jordan

Member:mattries37315
Title:Winter's Heart (The Wheel of Time, Book 9)
Authors:Robert Jordan
Info:Tor Books (2002), Edition: later printing, Mass Market Paperback, 800 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fantasy

Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan

English (47)  Italian (1)  All (48)
I had to stop reading after this book, because he spent the entire book talking about new people and didn't even discuss the main characters of the series. In the last book one of the primary character's wife was kidnapped, and it wasn't even mentioned, neverless resolved in this book. ( )
  aliciadana | Jun 16, 2017 |
Summary: Tarmon Gai'don is coming, but before it does, Rand Al'Thor, the Dragon Reborn, has a plan: he intends to cleanse saidin of the Dark One's taint, so that men who can channel will no longer be doomed to madness. The Forsaken are moving to stop him, although they each have their own individual - and sometimes conflicting - schemes and orders. Mat, after having spent the previous book under a building, is being hunted by the gholam through the streets of Seanchan-controlled Ebou Dar, and is being hunted throughout the palace by Tuon, a Seanchan noblewoman who is strangely fascinated by him. Perrin is meeting with the Prophet and his Dragonsworn, at Rand's request, when his wife Faile is kidnapped by the Shaido Aiel that are ranging across the countryside. Elayne is trying to solidify her rule of Andor, and the Aes Sedai Cadsuane is trying to get close to Rand so that she can reign in his increasingly self-destructive tendencies before the Last Battle.

Review: If you had asked me what happened in this book prior to re-reading it, after a gap of 11 years, I would have said "this is the book in which nothing happens except for Perrin searching for his wife and yelling "FAAAAIIIIILLLLLEE" and being annoying the whole time." (I first read this book at the same time that Season 1 of Lost was airing, hence the "WAAAAAAAALT" / "FAAAAAIIIILLLLLEE" connection.)

But on a re-read, it turns out that the Perrin/Faile storyline actually took up relatively few chapters (despite what the cover would seem to suggest), and was much less annoying than I remember, which was good. Also, the cleansing of saidin, which I would have sworn didn't happen until book 10, is totally in this book, and that's a pretty big deal, and a pretty awesomely epic scene (or series of scenes, since it's written in little snippets from lots of POVs.) However, that does make me wonder what actually does happen in Book 10. I suspect that's it's going to be all of the Perrin-being-annoying that wasn't in this book, which does not make me particularly excited to get to it.

Anyways, back to this book. It's not bad, exactly, but it is square in the middle of this series's slump, where all of the multiple storylines that make this world so rich are just crawling along at slower than a snail's pace, and it feels like no progress is made in any of them until the last fifty pages of the book. It is somewhat of a catch-22 -- the wealth of characters and schemes and subplots are part of what makes this series so epic and so easy to get absorbed in, and by this point you are invested enough that it feels like spending time with friends. On the other hand, the fact that there's so much going on and so many characters does mean that you never get as much time with your favorites as you'd like (no Egwene in this book at all, for example, just like there was no Mat in the last one), and there are definitely times when there are just so many schemes and plots and shifting alliances that it's impossible to keep them all straight, and the whole thing just bogs down under its own weight.

Also, Tuon is introduced for the first time in this book, and she can already shut the hell up, because: seriously, shut up, Tuon. 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Recommendation: This book is the point where I would have to tell my friends who were reading it for the first time "No, hang in there, it gets better eventually and stuff starts happening again." So if you enjoyed the series in the beginning, my recommendation is just to slog through this book so you can get to the good stuff again. (Eventually, at least. As I remember, Book 10 is still pretty slow going.) ( )
1 vote fyrefly98 | May 10, 2017 |
Fantasy, Fantasy Adventure ( )
  Ria_Vao | Feb 7, 2017 |
I slow read and it took my longer than any of previous in this series. Very detailed characters and maybe a few that really are not necessary for the story but I find I satisfaction of carrying on and completing this particular novel.

Mr. Jordan god rest his soul does not follow traditional story telling format he skips around like the pulp fiction movie. Sometimes you are constantly asking yourself didn't that already happen. I think these stories could be broken down into character books but some of the details would be lost.
Some very intersting points are that Perrin's wife Faile and the ex-queen in hiding gets kidnapped.

Matt is back and getting in trouble as usually will his memories of his past lives continue to save him or get in his way.

Rand has little going on in this book until the end with a bang of excitement. He needs to become more human instead of turning is heart into steel.

At Last the madness is at an end for the men. Let's see if it calms the men down or makes them even more ambitous.
  Erin.Kuszmaul | Feb 3, 2017 |
Read June 2001
Re-read November 2011.

2011 Review:
What a difference 10 years makes. First off, I've got the final book in my hands in the next couple of months. Second, I'm reading a WoT book a month instead of a year[or 2 or 3] and I think that is just about the right amount of time.

Most of this was completely new to me because I think I stopped the first time when I realized the series wasn't at its end. I enjoyed this. Same compliments, same complaints as the previous books.
And the cleansing of Saidin was pretty cool. It did make me wonder just how strong/weak the Forsaken actually are. And if they couldn't deal with Rand and Co, why did the original Aes Sedai have such trouble?

2001 Review:
typical, malefemale arguments get old real fast tho ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |

Nielsen, Matthew C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The seals that hold back night shall weaken, and in the heart of winter shall winter's heart be born amid the wailing of lamentations and the gnashing of teeth, for winter's heart shall ride a black horse, and the name of it is Death. --from The Karaethon Cycle: The Prophecies of the Dragon
Always for Harriet. Always.
Three lanterns cast a flickering light, more than enough to illuminate the small room with its stark white walls and ceiling, but Seaine kept her eyes fixed on the heavy wooden door.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 081257558X, Mass Market Paperback)

Is Robert Jordan still doing the Light's work? Even loyal fans have to wonder. (And if you're not a fan yet, you'll have to read the previous 6,789 pages in this bestselling series to understand what all the fuss is about.)

Everyone's in agreement on the Wheel of Time's first four or five volumes: They're topnotch, where-have-you-been-all-my-life epic fantasy, the best in anybody's memory at the time since The Lord of the Rings. But a funny thing happened on the way to Tarmon Gai'don, and many of those raves have become rants or (worse) yawns. Jordan long ago proved himself a master at world-building, with fascinating characters, a positively delicious backstory, and enough plot and politics to choke a Trolloc, but that same strength has become a liability. How do you criticize what he's doing now? You want more momentum and direction in the central plot line, but it's the secondary stories that have made the world so rich. And as in the last couple of books, (A Crown of Swords and The Path of Daggers), Jordan doesn't really succeed at pursuing either adequately, leaving a lot of heavily invested readers frustrated.

Winter's Heart at least shows some improvement, but it's still not The Eye of the World. Elayne's still waiting to take the crown of Andor; the noticeably absent Egwene is still waiting to go after the White Tower; Perrin gets ready to pursue the Shaido but then disappears for the rest of the book. About the only excitement comes with the long-awaited return of Mat Cauthon and a thankfully rock 'em, sock 'em finale in which Rand finally, finally changes the balance of power in his fight against the Dark One. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:42 -0400)

In the continuing Wheel of Time saga, Rand and Min are on the run, while Black Tower leader Mazrim Taim is exposed, a Seanchan princess arrives in Ebou Dar and the schemers of the White Tower are beset by rebels.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,233,030 books! | Top bar: Always visible