Zen in the Art of Archery by Eugen Herrigel

Zen in the Art of Archery (1948)

by Eugen Herrigel

English (11)  Italian (1)  All languages (12)
This is a very interesting book. Archery in respects to the Japanese is not a sport. Learning archery involves a spiritual approach. You must detach yourself and learn to breath through everything. If you have enough time and patience, you should try it. The author took more than 4 years to become a master. ( )
  terrygraap | May 18, 2015 |
An interesting and informative book on mind and action. ( )
  sury.vemagal | Aug 12, 2012 |
A very interesting and enlightening little book on the essence of the spiritual experience in Zen Buddhism.
A German philosophy professor goes to Japan for six years and practises Zen through archery. The book is a summary of his experience. ( )
  Niecierpek | Sep 30, 2010 |
wonderful insight...: there's an old adage in the acting world..'don't give a performance, let the performance give you'..so what does that have to do with this book? well, I read this wonderful book a few years back when I was studying acting in NYC and I really worked hard at incorporating some Zen technique into my acting process..it wasn't easy..but I stuck with it and I feel as if I reached a different level consciousness and ability with my craft. This book is a wonderful teacher for the ways of Zen and incorporating those lessons into real life events not just archery.
1 vote iayork | Aug 9, 2009 |
One of my favorite 'small books', Zen in the Art of Archery so well captures what it is to practice any discipline as an exercise in no-self. It is so paradoxical to most of us that the culmination of one's training and study should not be to become 'larger' and 'better,' but rather to essentially disappear so that no credit is taken for what is accomplished.
Other than practicing a little sitting Zen from time to time, I am on the outside looking in to this great tradition. It is humbling to read a work such as this, and realize what is apparently possible, given the proper frame of mind. Or perhaps: given the absence of any frame of mind. ( )
1 vote CosmicBullet | Jul 2, 2009 |

Eugen Herrigelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hull, Richard Francis CarringtonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Suzuki, Daisetz T.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375705090, Paperback)

So many books have been written about the meditation side of Zen and the everyday, chop wood/carry water side of Zen. But few books have approached Zen the way that most Japanese actually do--through ritualized arts of discipline and beauty--and perhaps that is why Eugen Herrigel's Zen in the Art of Archery is still popular so long after it first publication in 1953. Herrigel, a philosophy professor, spent six years studying archery and flower-arranging in Japan, practicing every day, and struggling with foreign notions such as "eyes that hear and ears that see." In a short, pithy narrative, he brings the heart of Zen to perfect clarity--intuition, imitation, practice, practice, practice, then, boom, wondrous spontaneity fusing self and art, mind, body, and spirit. Herrigel writes with an attention to subtle profundity and relates it with a simple artistry that itself carries the signature of Zen. --Brian Bruya

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:16 -0400)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,410,952 books! | Top bar: Always visible