Marrying Winterborne by Lisa Kleypas

Marrying Winterborne (edition 2016)

by Lisa Kleypas (Author)

Marrying Winterborne by Lisa Kleypas

Marrying Winterborne
by Lisa Kleypas, Read by Mary Jane Wells
#2 The Ravenels

Excellent story and narrator. Great example for this particular genre. Romantic, laugh-out-loud funny at times, and the main characters have amazing chemistry. This is an interesting and full-bodied story. ( )
  AddictedToMorphemes | Apr 29, 2017 |
Fantastic book that picks up right where Cold-HeartedRake left off. In that book, Helen and Rhys had been introduced by her cousin Devon, who was looking to use Helen to form a business alliance. When both men were injured in a train accident, Helen took it upon herself to nurse Rhys back to health. It was an odd friendship that developed, between the common-born self-made tycoon and the shy and sheltered Lady Helen. Rhys decided then that he wanted Helen for his own, and she agreed for reasons of her own. But a misunderstanding and interference from her sister-in-law Kathleen, ends the engagement.

This book opens with Helen visiting Rhys at his place of business (just not done!) to explain what had happened and try to reinstate their engagement. I was impressed by Helen and how she stepped way out of her comfort zone to do so. Rhys was not welcoming at first. Though a talented and confident man, sure of his abilities in business, there is part of him that is very vulnerable. He saw Helen's earlier reaction to him as disgust and a rejection of who he is, and now believes she only wants him back because of his wealth. I loved this entire scene, as Helen slowly convinces him that it was him she wants. I especially loved the part about the ring. Though Helen gets her wishes, Rhys has his own condition to guarantee that the marriage will take place. He wants her thoroughly compromised so that no one can stop it. Rhys is both determined and nervous about carrying out his plan - he wants her like he has no other, but he also realizes that he must treat her carefully. This scene was steamy and sweet, and I loved seeing Rhys's tenderness.

The reinstatement of the engagement causes some new tensions, as the desire between Rhys and Helen flares hotter every day. Rhys wants them to marry immediately, but Helen wants to wait until their mourning for her brother is over. Once again, Rhys finds himself wanting to make Helen happy, even if it is hard on him. As her family moves back to the country to put some distance between them, both Helen and Rhys miss each other desperately. During the trip home, Helen discovers something about her past that explains several things, but leaves her more confused about herself. Things go from bad to worse when she discovers that her secret could have a direct effect on her marriage to Rhys.

Their return to London puts Helen and Rhys in close contact again. I loved how they found ways to be together. While their physical relationship continued to intensify, there were also times where they simply talked. I loved seeing how quickly Helen began to understand Rhys and what drives him. She also has a determined way of defending him, to others and to himself. Rhys turned out to be an even more sensitive man that I expected. He is obviously smitten with Helen and determined to do anything to make her happy. The changes in him were obvious, as he went from brooding workaholic to a man who is able to let his softer side show.

When the secret that Helen has rears its ugly head in London, she has some serious decisions to make. Does she tell Rhys and take a chance that he will take it badly, or follow others' advice and keep quiet? A horrifying discovery sends her on a quest for something that could end it all. I loved her determination to make things right, no matter the cost to herself. The intensity of this part had me wondering how it was going to turn out. I loved the ending, with Rhys being both tough and tender, protective and besotted. The follow up scene was hilarious as he planned and carried out their elopement.

I also loved the secondary characters. Helen's sisters, Cassandra and Pandora are terrific in their determination to be themselves, not just another society miss. They are intelligent and kind-hearted and would do anything for their sister Helen. Devon's brother West makes only a small appearance in this book, but I still loved seeing him pretend to hang on to his rakish ways. I loved Dr. Gibson, the lady doctor who made such a big impression on Rhys. Her feistiness and self-confidence were great, as was her assistance to Helen. I also loved Rhys's secretary, Mrs. Fernsby and her ability to manage Rhys. ( )
  scoutmomskf | Mar 8, 2017 |
Marrying Winterborne
4.5 Stars

Lady Helen Ravenel has been raised far away from the glittering world of the ton and has little experience with men. Thus, when wealthy self-made retail tycoon, Rhys Winterborne, sets his sights on her, she is overwhelmed by his attentions. Nevertheless, Helen's need for love and adventure is too strong for her to deny and she is willing to risk everything - her virtue, her reputation and her heart - in order to marry Mr. Winterborne…

Series note: The beginning of Helen and Rhy’s relationship is described in detail in Cold-Hearted Rake and it is, therefore, necessary to read it before this one.

Helen and Rhys have amazing chemistry although it is never quite clear which of the two is the seducer and which the seducee. Helen one of those heroines who comes across as timid and shy only to reveal a backbone of solid steel. Her determination to win Rhys back no matter the consequences is a highlight of the story. Rhys is an amalgamation of opposites at once both a ruthless businessman overriding all obstacles, yet at the same time a gentle and considerate lover who is completely besotted with Helen.

Of course, there is the inevitable obstacle to Rhys and Helen's ultimate happiness and this is where the story goes somewhat awry as the conflict is based on a trope that annoys me no end, i.e., keeping secrets. Thankfully, Kleypas manages to avoid the accompanying silly misunderstanding and all is resolved quite satisfactorily. It should be noted that the villain of the piece is one of the more smarmy in Kleypas's works and he does get a little too lightly for my tastes.

All in all, a wonderful romance that would be a 5 star read were it not for the pet peeve trope. The next installment focuses on Pandora Ravenell and her hero, Gabriel St. Vincent (yes, the son of Evie and Sebastian from A Devil in Winter - can't wait!)
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
I wish that I could give this book an infinite amount of stars because I simply adored it and I cannot say enough good about it. Without a doubt, the pages of this book will be worn out as I read it over and over again. I've invested in a hard copy forever edition after reading it on my Nook.

Characters such as Rhys Winterborne, are the reason why I fell in love with reading. They are also the reason why I have a few book crushes. And yes, Rhys is at the top of that list. Although this self-made millionaire was slightly rough around the edges, that hardness combined with his vulnerability while in the presence of Lady Helen, are what captivated me from the beginning.

Once again, Lisa Kleypas hit a home run with her newest series, The Ravenels. Marrying Winterborne is the second book in this series and can be read independantly. However, I'd highly suggest you read the first book in the series, "Cold Hearted Rake" which introduces the unexpected love affair between shy, bookish Lady Helen and ruthless businessman Rhys Winterborne. ( )
  OliviaJayne | Sep 6, 2016 |
Lady Helen Ravenel is shy and unsure of herself, being an unloved and often forgotten daughter to her late parents and often overlooked by her late brother, it wasn't till her father was on his death bed that Helen learned the truth of her illegitimacy. But that is a secret she has shared with no one. Now her betrothal to a man whom himself is an adventure, was misguidedly broken off by her cousin Devon and his bride while she was sick in bed with a migraine! But now she is bound and determined to get him back, under her rules this time and Rhys Winterborne will listen!

Rhys Winterborne is a self-made Welshman with such determination, that he now owns one of the biggest and best department stores in the whole of England! But the one thing that Rhys wants was snatched from his grip…Helen! But now she stands in front of him with quiet determination, declaring that she will not release him from their betrothal! So he offers her an ultimatum! And surprisingly she accepts!

While looking forward to her wedding and life with Rhys, Helen discovers just how much her parents resented her and whom her true sire is…the one person her fiancé hates most in the world. Add to that the knowledge that she has a sister! Helen is determined to find her and keep her safe, even if that means giving up the one man she will ever love!

I LOVED Lisa Kleypas old historical romances and I was honestly unsure that her new series would live up to her old one…but I was WRONG!! Oh my goodness I LOVED Marrying Winterborne! I knew I loved the characters when I read Cold Hearted Rake, but I honestly didn't realize just how superb the story would be.

As normal with the Lisa Kleypas books are wonderfully written and the story is so detailed and historically detailed, I felt that I was immersed in this world of beauty, heartbreak and determination. The characters were just as I had expected them to be! Honestly how can you not full in love with Rhys and Helen and I honestly could wax lyrical about all of the characters forever, as they are all wonderful, but I do have to say that with the exception of the twins, all of the original character have softened their personalities, I even grew to like Kathleen!

I give Marrying Winterborne 5 stars!
  Cara_Ross | Aug 16, 2016 |

Lisa Kleypasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wells, Mary JaneReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Greg—my husband and my hero.
Love always, L.K.
"Mr. Winterborne, a woman is here to see you."
ISBN 1504734963 is an unabridged audiobook

A ruthless tycoon

Savage ambition has brought common-born Rhys Winterborne vast wealth and success. In business and beyond, Rhys gets exactly what he wants. And from the moment he meets the shy, aristocratic Lady Helen Ravenel, he is determined to possess her. If he must take her virtue to ensure she marries him, so much the better…

A sheltered beauty

Helen has had little contact with the glittering, cynical world of London society. Yet Rhys’s determined seduction awakens an intense mutual passion. Helen’s gentle upbringing belies a stubborn conviction that only she can tame her unruly husband. As Rhys’s enemies conspire against them, Helen must trust him with her darkest secret. The risks are unthinkable…the reward, a lifetime of incomparable bliss. And it all begins with…

Marrying Mr. Winterborne

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,481,059 books! | Top bar: Always visible