Marrying Winterborne by Lisa Kleypas

Marrying Winterborne (edition 2016)

by Lisa Kleypas (Author)

Info:Avon (2016), 416 pages
Collections:To read
Tags:.Fiction, Unread, Romance

Marrying Winterborne by Lisa Kleypas

I enjoyed this book more than the first in the series. Everyone thinks Helen is too shy and easily manipulated but she is smart, strong, brave and determined. Of course, there is the usual miscommunication that leads to a breakup but she realizes what happened and defies convention and goes after what she wants. He is the master negotiator and his pride is hurt but she realizes how to deal with him and get what they both want. ( )
  Kathy89 | Jul 9, 2017 |
A much better book than the first, Winterborne and Helen are a delightful pair. I think Helen is one of my favorite heroines. She is kind, intelligent, sensitive and a delightful sweetheart. She's decisively not annoying which is a big yay for me. Rhys Winterborne got on my nerves on the first book by the end but he's truly a charming man. His chemistry with Helen is off the charts and it is clear to us from the very beginning, a vast improvement from the previous book.

Why not a full five stars? Some sex scenes, in my opinion, could not be enjoyed because I was just too upset about the secret Helen was keeping from Winterborne. I understand her reasoning for not saying anything but damn, I needed her to speak up. The end got solved real quickly but at that point, I just wanted them together for good. ( )
  lapiccolina | Jun 23, 2017 |
Marrying Winterborne
by Lisa Kleypas, Read by Mary Jane Wells
#2 The Ravenels

Excellent story and narrator. Great example for this particular genre. Romantic, laugh-out-loud funny at times, and the main characters have amazing chemistry. This is an interesting and full-bodied story. ( )
  AddictedToMorphemes | Apr 29, 2017 |
Fantastic book that picks up right where Cold-HeartedRake left off. In that book, Helen and Rhys had been introduced by her cousin Devon, who was looking to use Helen to form a business alliance. When both men were injured in a train accident, Helen took it upon herself to nurse Rhys back to health. It was an odd friendship that developed, between the common-born self-made tycoon and the shy and sheltered Lady Helen. Rhys decided then that he wanted Helen for his own, and she agreed for reasons of her own. But a misunderstanding and interference from her sister-in-law Kathleen, ends the engagement.

This book opens with Helen visiting Rhys at his place of business (just not done!) to explain what had happened and try to reinstate their engagement. I was impressed by Helen and how she stepped way out of her comfort zone to do so. Rhys was not welcoming at first. Though a talented and confident man, sure of his abilities in business, there is part of him that is very vulnerable. He saw Helen's earlier reaction to him as disgust and a rejection of who he is, and now believes she only wants him back because of his wealth. I loved this entire scene, as Helen slowly convinces him that it was him she wants. I especially loved the part about the ring. Though Helen gets her wishes, Rhys has his own condition to guarantee that the marriage will take place. He wants her thoroughly compromised so that no one can stop it. Rhys is both determined and nervous about carrying out his plan - he wants her like he has no other, but he also realizes that he must treat her carefully. This scene was steamy and sweet, and I loved seeing Rhys's tenderness.

The reinstatement of the engagement causes some new tensions, as the desire between Rhys and Helen flares hotter every day. Rhys wants them to marry immediately, but Helen wants to wait until their mourning for her brother is over. Once again, Rhys finds himself wanting to make Helen happy, even if it is hard on him. As her family moves back to the country to put some distance between them, both Helen and Rhys miss each other desperately. During the trip home, Helen discovers something about her past that explains several things, but leaves her more confused about herself. Things go from bad to worse when she discovers that her secret could have a direct effect on her marriage to Rhys.

Their return to London puts Helen and Rhys in close contact again. I loved how they found ways to be together. While their physical relationship continued to intensify, there were also times where they simply talked. I loved seeing how quickly Helen began to understand Rhys and what drives him. She also has a determined way of defending him, to others and to himself. Rhys turned out to be an even more sensitive man that I expected. He is obviously smitten with Helen and determined to do anything to make her happy. The changes in him were obvious, as he went from brooding workaholic to a man who is able to let his softer side show.

When the secret that Helen has rears its ugly head in London, she has some serious decisions to make. Does she tell Rhys and take a chance that he will take it badly, or follow others' advice and keep quiet? A horrifying discovery sends her on a quest for something that could end it all. I loved her determination to make things right, no matter the cost to herself. The intensity of this part had me wondering how it was going to turn out. I loved the ending, with Rhys being both tough and tender, protective and besotted. The follow up scene was hilarious as he planned and carried out their elopement.

I also loved the secondary characters. Helen's sisters, Cassandra and Pandora are terrific in their determination to be themselves, not just another society miss. They are intelligent and kind-hearted and would do anything for their sister Helen. Devon's brother West makes only a small appearance in this book, but I still loved seeing him pretend to hang on to his rakish ways. I loved Dr. Gibson, the lady doctor who made such a big impression on Rhys. Her feistiness and self-confidence were great, as was her assistance to Helen. I also loved Rhys's secretary, Mrs. Fernsby and her ability to manage Rhys. ( )
  scoutmomskf | Mar 8, 2017 |
Marrying Winterborne
4.5 Stars

Lady Helen Ravenel has been raised far away from the glittering world of the ton and has little experience with men. Thus, when wealthy self-made retail tycoon, Rhys Winterborne, sets his sights on her, she is overwhelmed by his attentions. Nevertheless, Helen's need for love and adventure is too strong for her to deny and she is willing to risk everything - her virtue, her reputation and her heart - in order to marry Mr. Winterborne…

Series note: The beginning of Helen and Rhy’s relationship is described in detail in Cold-Hearted Rake and it is, therefore, necessary to read it before this one.

Helen and Rhys have amazing chemistry although it is never quite clear which of the two is the seducer and which the seducee. Helen one of those heroines who comes across as timid and shy only to reveal a backbone of solid steel. Her determination to win Rhys back no matter the consequences is a highlight of the story. Rhys is an amalgamation of opposites at once both a ruthless businessman overriding all obstacles, yet at the same time a gentle and considerate lover who is completely besotted with Helen.

Of course, there is the inevitable obstacle to Rhys and Helen's ultimate happiness and this is where the story goes somewhat awry as the conflict is based on a trope that annoys me no end, i.e., keeping secrets. Thankfully, Kleypas manages to avoid the accompanying silly misunderstanding and all is resolved quite satisfactorily. It should be noted that the villain of the piece is one of the more smarmy in Kleypas's works and he does get a little too lightly for my tastes.

All in all, a wonderful romance that would be a 5 star read were it not for the pet peeve trope. The next installment focuses on Pandora Ravenell and her hero, Gabriel St. Vincent (yes, the son of Evie and Sebastian from A Devil in Winter - can't wait!)
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |

Lisa Kleypasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wells, Mary JaneReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Greg—my husband and my hero.
Love always, L.K.
"Mr. Winterborne, a woman is here to see you."
ISBN 1504734963 is an unabridged audiobook

A ruthless tycoon

Savage ambition has brought common-born Rhys Winterborne vast wealth and success. In business and beyond, Rhys gets exactly what he wants. And from the moment he meets the shy, aristocratic Lady Helen Ravenel, he is determined to possess her. If he must take her virtue to ensure she marries him, so much the better…

A sheltered beauty

Helen has had little contact with the glittering, cynical world of London society. Yet Rhys’s determined seduction awakens an intense mutual passion. Helen’s gentle upbringing belies a stubborn conviction that only she can tame her unruly husband. As Rhys’s enemies conspire against them, Helen must trust him with her darkest secret. The risks are unthinkable…the reward, a lifetime of incomparable bliss. And it all begins with…

Marrying Mr. Winterborne

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,035,325 books! | Top bar: Always visible