Dead Men's Bones by James Oswald

Dead Men's Bones

by James Oswald

I can think of three adjectives to describe this entire series...sometimes funny, frequently scary, and always otherworldly. It has quickly become one of my favorites. We follow Detective Inspector Tony McLean as he conducts his investigation through two cases that become intertwined. To solve both cases he must unearth the truth that lies beneath an old abandoned mental asylum thus putting his own team at risk in the process. This series will appeal to those that like a mystery with just a touch of the supernatural. ( )
  Carol420 | Feb 21, 2018 |
This is the 4th Inspector McLean police procedural. A prominent politician kills himself and his wife and children. Everyone is searching for the motive. Then there is a death of a man covered in tattoos. Are they related and how? These books have a dark undertone and a touch of evil. James Oswald is a good writer and his characters are unique and well developed. He writes with a bit of humor which is always enjoyable. Mrs. McCutcheon's cat feels like a real personal friend to Tony and has sent out a troop of cats to help protect Tony. I liked this book but liked book 2 and 3 just a bit more. Can't wait to read the next in the series and I would highly recommend this series to those who love mystery with a supernatural twist. ( )
  EadieB | Feb 21, 2018 |
This is only my second Oswald/McLean, so it only dawns on me now that the supernatural element which was the only thing I didn't like about Natural Causes is perhaps the usp of the whole series - because here it is again, adding sinister thrills while at the same time undermining credibility. Otherwise, I enjoy the author's writing and the character of the 'tec - but in this one I missed the unorthodox hinterland I enjoyed so much in Book 1.

I will be reading more. ( )
  jtck121166 | Aug 18, 2014 |
I felt this was less contrived than the previous one and again I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was somehow less noir but more creepy, which I think works well.
  lexieconyngham | Jul 28, 2014 |

The body of a prominent Scottish MP is discovered outside his home, a remote house in North East Fife. In a horrifying attack, Andrew Weatherly has killed his wife and two young daughters, before turning his gun on himself. The question on everyone's lips is why would this successful and wealthy man commit such a gruesome crime? Inspector Tony McLean is surprised to find himself at the centre of this high profile investigation. The deeper he digs, the more McLean realizes he is being used in a game between shadowy factions from the world of power and privilege. Pressure is on to wrap up the case. That would go against everything McLean believes in ...but to carry on will threaten the lives of his closest friends and colleagues.… (more)

James Oswald is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,422,433 books! | Top bar: Always visible