Prayer for the Dead by James Oswald

Prayer for the Dead

by James Oswald

A passable if slightly uninspired thriller. It moves a little slow, but speeds up toward the end and the story all comes together nicely in the end. The Scottish vernacular used liberally throughout might give some people pause, but can be easily inferred from context.

Would I read another book in the series? Perhaps, yes. Would I track one down to add to my library? Probably not. ( )
  adam.currey | Oct 1, 2018 |
In a cave beneath the streets of Edinburgh a man is first ritually purified - and then murdered....
DI Tony McLean is handed one of the darkest puzzles of his career. With lack of forensic evidence it proves to be a challenge. Bodies begin to stack up and McLean knows he will strike again unless they can stop him. Oswald has once again given us an easy read with interesting characters. I'm looking forward to the next installment. Recommended! ( )
  EadieB | Sep 20, 2018 |
If you are looking for a great mystery series that's just a tad different...then Inspector McLean just might be it. Every case has a touch of the bazaar as James Oswald always introduces a touch of the supernatural. Tony always gets "his man"..."or woman"...or "thing" and when it is all worked out it's usually more unbelievable than even he imagined. This series has been as "a police procedural on steroids" and that's not far from the truth. ( )
  Carol420 | Sep 20, 2018 |
As much as I enjoyed listening to the fifth book in this series was I'm not really pleased with the narrator choice to whisper the killer's thoughts. It just sounded like he was mumbling and I was lucky if I could hear a word or two and understand what the heck the killer was doing.

Now, I like Tony McLean, and I like the paranormal angle to the books in this series. But, this was not the strongest book in the series. The best part was towards the end when the story finally started to make sense. But, for the most part, the book did feel a bit slow, more bodies are found and they are trying to figure out the link between the bodies and discover who the killer is. Personally, would I loved the book to be more thrilling to read. To be honest, the story just didn't feel very memorable. It's an OK book, but it felt like 2/3 of the book just plodded along in a slow pace and BAM then the ending happened (which I liked) and then the book was over. On a side now, I loved Madame Rose and her cats.

Despite my lackluster opinion of the book, I do look forward to reading the next book, and the one before that I've missed to read.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through Netgalley for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
Despite being No 5 in the series, this was my first encounter with Inspector McLean. This didn't spoil my enjoyment as the references to previous incidents were for the most part fairly fleeting apart from the mention of a significant death which will no doubt be a fairly big spoiler when I go back and read the previous books.

The book involves McLean being called in to investigate a series of murders with each one displaying a common feature, a complete lack of forensics. While he begins to think these apparently unconnected killings might actually be connected his superiors remain unconvinced.

I found the plot intriguing and I like Oswald's writing style. I enjoyed the mix of police procedural with a hint of other worldliness that pervades in the background. Despite not telling us too much about McLean himself, there are hints and snippets dropped through-out the book that help to build a picture of a private, meticulous but likeable and caring man. McLean's relationship with Rose and his defence of her really brought out his humanity. The inter office politics and relationships added a warmth and humour to balance the darkness of the investigations, and I enjoyed his relationships with "Grumpy Bob" and DC Stuart MacBride (no coincidence for readers of dark gritty but equally brilliant crime fiction set in Aberdeen.

The other thing I enjoyed about this book was the various seemingly unrelated sub plots that ran through the book that added extra interest. I loved the character of Rose, a trans gender, cat loving, medium. Not a character I was expecting to encounter, but then nothing in McLean's world is always what it seems.

I really enjoyed this book and I'm now looking forward, to going back and catching up with the previous titles. If you like well written crime thrillers, love Edinburgh or are fans of Ian Rankin or Stuart MacBride then I think you'll find James Oswald right up your street.

I received an ARC via NetGalley in return for an honest review
  Jilldoyle | Mar 27, 2016 |

The search for a missing journalist is called off as a body is found at the scene of a carefully staged murder. In a sealed chamber, deep in the heart of Gilmerton Cove, a mysterious network of caves and passages sprawling beneath Edinburgh, the victim has undergone a macabre ritual of purification. Inspector Tony McLean knew the dead man, and can't shake off the suspicion that there is far more to this case than meets the eye. The baffling lack of forensics at the crime scene seems impossible. But it is not the only thing about this case that McLean will find beyond belief. Teamed with the most unlikely and unwelcome of allies, he must track down a killer driven by the darkest compulsions, who will answer only to a higher power.… (more)

James Oswald is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,474,861 books! | Top bar: Always visible