Firstlife

Firstlife (2017)

Series: Everlife (1)

4992035,025 (3.46)4
Locked in an asylum for her refusal to let her parents dictate her afterlife choices, Ten Lockwood finds herself caught in a violent power struggle between the two leading Everlife realms that would do anything to claim her powerful soul.
Member:devon_snedden
Title:Firstlife
Authors:
Info:Harlequin Enterprises (Australia) Pty Ltd

Firstlife by Gena Showalter (2017)

meh. Weirdly complicated and just doesn't flow or gel well. Could be an interesting concept but I don't recommend. ( )
  rickycatto | Sep 9, 2020 |
Firstlife by Gena Showalter

1st book in a trilogy. Young adult dystopian fantasy.
Extensive world building. Extreme torture of the heroine trying to force her to make a decision for her Second life. Underhanded manipulations and deceiving friendships.

Basically a super dark story where the heroine is under constant pressure and hardships in her “first” life on earth. Next book will be based on her decision as the worlds war. ( )
  Madison_Fairbanks | Jul 6, 2020 |
Very engrossing concept. Romance element is not terrible complex but it enjoyable, however the world is fascinating. ( )
  Tip44 | Jun 30, 2020 |
Unputdownable author, indeed. My first Showalter book though I've handled her books many times and know she is popular. I read for half my lunch break and it was all I could think about, so when I got home I read for 7 hours straight to finish it. #LiterallyUnputdownable

A lot of times YA books leave me with a MEH feeling. This was anything but. ( )
  otaginenbutsuji | Nov 12, 2019 |
It pains me to say this, but... I made in to page 300 and just can't go on. I've been fighting the words for 100 pages and it's just not worth my time.

My issues:
1. The plot was painfully slow and scattered.
2. The main love affair was not romantic at all. (Killian is LAME and BLAH)
3. The over the top puns and pokes were too much for me. It made the writing seem juvenile and cheesy.
4. The numbers drove me nuts.
5. Again, the played up banter. Like quirky is cool, desperate is not.

I really wanted to like this one because the Author will be at a signing I'm attending, but I guess I will be skipping that line. Sad, but there are so many books and so little time. Best to DNF the meh ones. ( )
  ReadersCandyb | Apr 25, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epock of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair.
Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities
Duuude. A heads-up would have been nice.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,412,686 books! | Top bar: Always visible