Dear Emma by Katie Heaney

Dear Emma

by Katie Heaney

413279,442 (3)3

**I received this book from GoodReads in exchange for an honest review**

Some parts of this book I found hard to get into, like they were too long winded, or I just couldn't connect with the character, I don't know. Overall though a sweet, charming book and one I did enjoy. The characters were good, the story line was solid. I would recommend this book. 4 out of 5 stars. ( )
  Beammey | Jul 23, 2016 |
From my blog

I wanted something light and saw this on Netgalley and was intrigued. It felt very young to me, maybe it is for YA fans. I read it rolling my eyes most of the time.

I enjoyed the character Emma and the advice she gave to the college students in their newspaper for the column Dear Emma. My main issue is that Harriet is nothing like the strong willed decisive Emma and I couldn't help to not care about her character, she came across as flaky mainly for herself and the friendships didn't feel real to me. It all felt high schoolish, not like college life.

She is 'dating' a guy when he stops texting her.

She bitches and complains and does nothing.

Her new library colleague, Remy, just happens to be the new girlfriend of her now 'ex'.

Of course Harriet hates her.

She talks about it with her roommates with no decision on what to do.

Then Remy writes in 'Dear Emma' my boyfriend hasn't contacted me in 3 days, deja vu.

Sigh........ This is how it felt to me. A little choppy, not great execution.

Harriett has two roommates who she cares a lot for but the relationships didn't feel real to me. It was more disturbing that she considered one to be her best friend. I did find it interesting when one friend is having amazing moments in their life and the other is in a low place it is hard to want to share which ends up putting walls up between them. I thought this was a good storyline but could have been more fleshed out.

I didn't connect with any characters and it definitely didn't feel like college days to me either. As this was inspired from Jane Austen's Emma, which I haven't read, I would recommend to those fans. It gets a 3 because I finished it but definitely not my cup of tea, more like a 2 1/2. ( )
  marcejewels | May 6, 2016 |
This is a fantastic reprieve from serious, heavy reading, but it's not entirely without substance of its own. Inspired by Jane Austen's Emma, the main character Harriet is a college co-ed who anonymously pens her school's advice column. The plot is easy to follow and really only nominally important: Harriet has some real-life stumbles in the romance department, and predictably has to address some people she knows in real life through her column.

What I thoroughly enjoyed, however, is how absolutely perfectly Katie Heaney nails the experience of being a slightly anxious, overly analytical female college student. I won't bother explaining exactly why I can speak on this topic with such authority, but -- trust me. She gets it. And her Harriet manages to be just perfectly imperfect, exasperating without being annoying, believable without being boring.

Highly recommend if you're looking for an easy read that will effortlessly carry you away and remind you what it's like to spend all your time worrying about your next exam and whether the guy behind you thinks you're cute. No retirement plans, car payments, daycare issues, or office politics here. Life is simple, but we still find ways to complicate it.

Note: I received a complimentary copy of this ebook from the publisher in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |

"The debut novel from the author of the popular memoir Never Have I Ever. College junior Harriet, the anonymous creator of the advice column Dear Emma, imparts weekly wisdom to the students around her struggling with relationships, academics, and existential crises. But her own life isn't in such great shape, especially since her Spanish Civilization classmate and crush Keith has gone radio silent on her. When she learns that Keith is dating beautiful and brilliant Remy, the girl she's started sharing a library work-study shift with, she immediately decides that her new coworker is the enemy. But just as Harriet begins to warm to her despite herself, the enemy gives Dear Emma an opportunity to change the course of her relationship with Keith. As Harriet ponders the power her column holds in her own life, she begins to wonder if it's worth losing a new friendship just to get back at Keith."--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,290,268 books! | Top bar: Always visible