An Atlas of Countries That Don't Exist:…

An Atlas of Countries That Don't Exist: A compendium of fifty…

by Nick Middleton

Other authors: Sarah Greeno (Designer)

English (12)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  All (14)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The first thing you'll notice if you happen to have the hardcover edition of An Atlas of Countries that Don't Exist is its gorgeous design. I don't just mean the cover art, which is elegant by itself, but the quality of the paper, the color schemes, and how the chapter pages have cutouts of the countries as a kind of reveal showing where they're located on the world map. My explanation doesn't do it justice. You'll have to see it for yourself.

Some of these countries I had heard of. A few of them are relatively close to me and I never quite thought of them as separate entities. Most of these countries I didn't even know existed. So no matter how you approach it, this book is an education. ( )
  Daniel.Estes | Aug 9, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I took this book to a picnic and several people found it very interesting, as did I. It's not necessarily a book that you read in one sitting. I found myself going back to the book over a period of time. The book has an interesting way of placing the "country".On a solid red page the outline of the country is cut out. On the following page there is a map of the regional area with the country outlined in red. This places the disputed area for the reader. I will keep this on my coffee table for a while. ( )
  velopunk | Aug 3, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
5486. An Atlas of Countries That Don't Exist A Compendium of Fifty Unrecognized and Largely Unnoticed States, by Nick Middleton (read 16 Jul 2017) This kind of spoofy book will appeal to people interested in geography. I recall when I was in 3rd grade in a room with 4th graders I envied them because one of the subjects they had was geography, which we third graders did not have. This book lists 50 "countries" some of which we all recognize, such as Greenland, Antarctica, Isle of Man, Somaliland, Taiwan,and even maybe Ruthenia. But Pontinha? Even the whiz kids who participate in geography contests would no doubt miss on that one. For good reason: its population is 4. (It is an island near Madeira--we know where that is, right?) And it is not the least populated "country" listed in this book. Akhzivland's population is given as 2. And there is one "country", Minerva, listed with its population given as 0. So no matter how skilled you are in geography, you are bound to learn from this uniquely designed book. (I think I am supposed to tell you that it was given me free in return for a published review, so I do so tell you.) ( )
1 vote Schmerguls | Jul 16, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Introduction to this fascinating book is beautifully, succinctly, yet inclusively written to describe some of the attributes of ‘countries’ and to describe some things that are not in countries. Borders as a construct make an appearance, too.

The book is divided into geographical and ‘other’ zones. They are Europe, Africa, North America, South America, Asia, Oceania, and Elsewhere. The countries include colonized areas reasserting sovereignty, concrete-and-coral-block atols, tribal organizations, and political and logical entities making a statement.

Each country is allotted 4 pages – The first has name, brief description, and flag. The second has the die-cut out surrounding the 4th page’s map of the country, Date Declared, Capital, Population,, Area, Continent, and Language(s). Some have Founder and Date Dissolved. The third page is vivid prose highlighting either general historical info or a specific incident that describes the beginning or ending of the country’s existence. The fourth page is the map of the country within the context of sister countries, and the location on a globe.

The information is fascinating. It is just enough to give a feel to the country or its founder, not too much to drag out. It made me want to learn more about some of these countries.

My only criticism is that the color choice for the first and second pages, a red, and the font on the third page, italic, make it a bit of an effort to read.

Edit | More ( )
  karenmarie | Jul 16, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A partly serious, partly cheeky geographers look at the world. Some of these hidden countries are deadly serious - Northern Cyprus, Catalonia, Crimea, Tibet, Bangsamro - and some are a lark: Sealand and seemingly countless fantasy islands. I was left wanting more about the serious countries and much less about the fantasies, but I suppose that isn't keeping in the spirit of the book. A good book to set aside for punctuated reading in bursts. ( )
  kcshankd | Jul 16, 2017 |

Middleton, NickAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Greeno, SarahDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Nick Middleton's book An Atlas of Countries that Don't Exist is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,654,101 books! | Top bar: Always visible