Uncanny Magazine Issue 2: January/February…

Uncanny Magazine Issue 2: January/February 2015

by Lynne M. Thomas (Editor), Michael Damian Thomas (Editor), Michi Trota (Editor)

Other authors: Richard Bowes (Contributor), Keidra Chaney (Contributor), Julie Dillon (Cover artist), Amal El-Mohtar (Contributor), Jingfang Hao (Contributor)11 more, Jim C. Hines (Contributor), Ann Leckie (Contributor), Rose Lemberg (Contributor), Ken Liu (Translator), Erica McGillivray (Contributor), Sam J. Miller (Contributor), Sunny Moraine (Contributor), Mari Ness (Contributor), Deborah Stanish (Contributor), Michi Trota (Contributor), Isabel Yap (Contributor)

Series: Uncanny Magazine (Issue 2)

234675,448 (4)None

I liked this issue more than the last one. My favourite stories were:
Pockets - I loved the idea and the message it carried! A girl finds things in her pockets
The Nalendar - A girl and a small god travel together - I liked how the story unfolded and the fairy-taley feel
Folding Beijing - Beijing is divided into 3 districts that don't interact with each other.
& Love Letters to Things Lost and Gained - I love all things connected to biology but I also enjoyed character's journey.
in that order I know it's 4 out of 6 shhh...

I didn't really feel the poems *shrug* I'm not really a big poetry reader so I'll just skip that

I loved all the essays. In short, their subjects were: all fiction is political; discrimination in nerd/geek culture; geek rock; women and cosplay.

The interviews were with people whose stories I've enjoyed so of course I liked more info on the subject and wanted to get to know the authors better. ( )
  localbeehunter | Jan 15, 2019 |
"Celia and the Conservation of Entropy۝ is a funny / cute / clever tale. Unique and charming enough to hold my attention beginning to end. ( )
  michaeladams1979 | Oct 11, 2018 |
Exceptional issue. The Heat of Us: Notes Toward an Oral History by Sam J. Miller was my absolute favorite. Also great were: Pockets by Amal El-Mohtar & Love Letters to Things Lost and Gained by Sunny Moraine. The poem archival testimony fragments/minersong by Rose Lemberg was fascinating and wonderful. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
Bought it for Jingfan Hao's "Folding Beijing" and enjoyed the heck out of that story. Its elegant and simple prose, full of carefully selected details, very effectively carried her big-ticket ideas of political economy. The absence of violence, turbulence, and any kind of histrionics was real breath of fresh air - though I disagree with the magazine interview's question of why she decided to not include some kind of revolutionary content. Why is that even a question? The most die-hard politically-minded SF of any quality never ever resorts to theatrics. Think about Neuromancer or The Left Hand of Darkness. These do not describe or endorse a paradigm shift or a revolution. They describe life as it is and as it moves.

I disliked the essays and only marginally enjoyed the other stories aside from "The Nalendar", which I thought was pretty nice. Simple and elegant, again, and carefully detailed in a way I suppose is very important and very hard to do when writing short-form SF/F. It struck me as a kind of combination of the tropical RPG aesthetic - like FFX - and Princess Mononoke, which is a great, though slightly derivative. ( )
  Algybama | Jul 25, 2017 |

Ness, MariContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stanish, DeborahContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Trota, MichiContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yap, IsabelContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,793,351 books! | Top bar: Always visible